Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Hurricane Irma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The water table rises in a flood. I was just assuming it'd be futile to try and pump water out of a pool into the ground beside it if there was flooding.

Was there no flooding to speak of?
A little flooding but before this deluge the ground drains well, post storm it's saturated but the pool doesn't need any further draining. I've learned that a tree is resting on the house and that will be a bigger issue for me to deal with

Turkey Lake / Orlando updates:

MB Batt Mobile Sep 12, 2017 7:22 PM
Tesla says still closed. Just got off phone with them 3:15pm
Allen Sep 12, 2017 10:08 AM
Is this back online?
negative_review_icon.png
MB Batt Mobile Sep 11, 2017 8:52 PM
Per Tesla at 4:44pm, no power at superchargers

Same story at Fort Drum:

MB Batt Mobile Sep 12, 2017 7:17 PM
Tesla says open. Just got off phone with them 3:15pm
Allen Sep 12, 2017 10:08 AM
Is this back online?

Awesome, Sarasota is back! That's a biggie.

MB Batt Mobile Sep 12, 2017 7:22 PM
positive_review_icon.png
proddick Sep 12, 2017 6:56 PM
Working after Irma. Very quiet here!

Port St. Lucie too:

positive_review_icon.png
Frank Azor Sep 12, 2017 7:42 PM
It's open
MB Batt Mobile Sep 12, 2017 7:25 PM
Allen Sep 12, 2017 10:46 AM
Is this back online?

Riviera Beach / West Palm Beach supposedly back, but no confirmed charges yet:

MB Batt Mobile Sep 12, 2017 7:25 PM
Allen Sep 12, 2017 10:19 AM
Is this back online?

Same story as Plantation, as noted the other day.

Last edited:
Speaking of Jose... if the ensembles are trending in any direction, it's away from the US :) Here's the 12z ECMWF and GFS:

AL12_2017091212_ECENS_large.png

AL12_2017091212_GEFS_large.png

I'd still want to wait another day or two and see if this trend holds, of course.

That said: WHY ARE THEY SENDING HIM TO ME NOW???? hehehe

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
Yup. When I looked this morning, 6.2 million were without power, including much of Miami and many areas on the East Coast. So I wouldn't be surprised if some of the major feeds to the grid are down. That said, it is now 7:30 pm and most of my South Florida friends and Tampa Bay friends have power again.
I'm still without power, and I'm sleeping in my car as we speak. Too hot in the house...

Estimate for restoral is late Friday night. Thank goodness my gym reopens tomorrow.

Yup. When I looked this morning, 6.2 million were without power, including much of Miami and many areas on the East Coast. So I wouldn't be surprised if some of the major feeds to the grid are down. That said, it is now 7:30 pm and most of my South Florida friends and Tampa Bay friends have power again.
I'm still without power, and I'm sleeping in my car as we speak. Too hot in the house...

Estimate for restoral is late Friday night. Thank goodness my gym reopens tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX

Restoration of the electrical grid in Florida might end up being the big long term saga from Irma. There are stories about how badly the grid has been destroyed in SW Florida.

I know someone close to you with power should you need to get away for a bit. You may want to rethink not going for a swim. That cold water may help with the heat. And I imagine the grill has been fired up already. I can just taste that yummy chicken he who doesn't drive electric makes.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
I know someone close to you with power should you need to get away for a bit. You may want to rethink not going for a swim. That cold water may help with the heat. And I imagine the grill has been fired up already. I can just taste that yummy chicken he who doesn't drive electric makes.
We absolutely went for a swim today...but the pool has been without filtration or chlorination via the salt system process for days, so not gonna be so inviting soon. Jim made coffee on the grill yesterday. Thank goodness I chose a resourceful man! The only reason he didn't sleep in here with me was because the generator keeping our fish and fridge alive keeps shutting down randomly, and you can't hear it at all in the Tesla. Another bonus to sleeping in here for me!

I can't say I slept like a baby, but it was better than in the house for sure...until now. Because I drank a LOT of water yesterday....this thing needs a potty and it's perfect.

At least it's early enough no one will see me climbing out ungracefully in my nightgown.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW and Cyclone
Wow, that sucks. Sorry dude(tte).
Pretty cool you have a Tesla with camper mode going.
It could be worse, we have no damage to anything but some plants, and even that is minimal. It's amazing how they weathered those winds.

I will say right now that in nearly 4.5 years of Tesla ownership this is the first time I've tried camper mode. It is awesome! Verizon (as well as other carriers) has suspended data charges until the 15th, so I had my phone set up as a hotspot in the charging cradle so I have internet on my tablet.

I will say right now that in nearly 4.5 years of Tesla ownership this is the first time I've tried camper mode. It is awesome! Verizon (as well as other carriers) has suspended data charges until the 15th, so I had my phone set up as a hotspot in the charging cradle so I have internet on my tablet.

Fortunately we have a generator to power the AC so no sleeping in the car here. We were without mains for 3 days but got power back last night. Fingers crossed that you get back on the grid soon!

Lake City is up:

positive_review_icon.png
Ilian Sep 13, 2017 4:47 AM
All chargers seem up! Charging now at the usual speed! Super happy!
Sep 12, 2017 11:28 PM
Tesla Roadside Assistance confirmed this supercharger is currently operational despite the information displayed on the in-car navigation system.
Allen Sep 11, 2017 11:25 PM
Anyone able to charge here

Naples (!!!) is (probably) up. Guess they didn't go under!
MB Batt Mobile Sep 12, 2017 7:24 PM
Tesla says open. Just got off phone with them 3:15pm. I asked twice and he repeated that it shows as open. Would like confirmation.

Same story, Ft. Myers:

MB Batt Mobile Sep 12, 2017 7:23 PM

And Florida City:

Go Back
MB Batt Mobile Sep 12, 2017 7:24 PM

And Live Oak:

Sep 12, 2017 11:28 PM
Tesla Roadside Assistance confirmed this supercharger is currently operational despite the information displayed on the in-car navigation system.

And Fort Drum:

Sep 12, 2017 11:29 PM

Last edited:
  • Love
Does anyone in Florida have a Powerwall yet? Solar panels plus a Powerwall or two would not be adequate to keep central A/C on 24/7, but at least a homeowner faced with an extended outage would have a working refrigerator and the ability to power a modest amount of electric driving and/or run the A/C in the car. Of course, this presumes no wind or debris damage to the solar panels, and no flood damage to the Powerwall. It's a tough situation and our prayers are with those affected by Irma and Harvey.

Out of Florida's 19 superchargers, the following appear to still be down on Plugshare:

* Orlando (last report: 12 sep, 23:31 PM; contacted Tesla at 19:15)
* Marathon (last report: 11 sep. 20:51, contacted with Tesla at 16:44)

The biggest concern remains Marathon. Still unknown if they went underwater. Everything else is at least supposedly open, even when they don't show up as open in the vehicle. :)

Last edited:
Out of Florida's 19 superchargers, the following appear to still be down on Plugshare:

* Orlando (last report: 12 sep, 23:31 PM; contacted Tesla at 19:15)
* Marathon (last report: 11 sep. 20:51, contacted with Tesla at 16:44)

The biggest concern remains Marathon. Still unknown if they went underwater. Everything else is at least supposedly open, even when they don't show up as open in the vehicle. :)
with the destruction in the keys, I wouldn't expect seeing marathon being operational for some time.

with the destruction in the keys, I wouldn't expect seeing marathon being operational for some time.

Indeed - the whole island supposedly went under. The cabinet is raised, but still... not that raised. Then again, Tesla surprised me with their flood resilience in Harvey, so maybe they will here as well. Naples made it, and they were only a parking lot away from the water. Lower winds, though.

Does anyone in Florida have a Powerwall yet? Solar panels plus a Powerwall or two would not be adequate to keep central A/C on 24/7, but at least a homeowner faced with an extended outage would have a working refrigerator and the ability to power a modest amount of electric driving and/or run the A/C in the car. Of course, this presumes no wind or debris damage to the solar panels, and no flood damage to the Powerwall. It's a tough situation and our prayers are with those affected by Irma and Harvey.

FPL offers net metering so the expense of a power wall system is hard to justify. Even so, you can power your entire house with powerwall. You just need several or more of them depending on your house size. I've priced it out for my house and it would take 4 power walls to provide entire house power at a cost of $22,700. Other than providing backup power, the power walls offer no other real benefit since we have net metering. You can get a whole house on demand backup generator for less than that.

I've been without power since Sunday 9am. My Honda EU6500 generator is quiet as can be and it runs either of my AC units (one at a time). I've also had it run my pool pump, cooktop range, and water heater. Only needed it for the water heater during the storm as my solar water heater wasn't heating water on account of no sunlight during the hurricane. Of course, the generator can only run one of those at a time but other than some minor power mgmt and refilling of the gas life if pretty much normal for me. Another benefit of having a Tesla is the NEMA 14/50 outlet is now my receptacle for the generator. Works like a dream.

No damage beyond some busted palm fronds.

I strongly recommend this generator for anyone wanting backup power. The new one has EFI and is 7000 watts. Especially if you have a NEMA 14/50 outlet. It's amazing. I haven't turned it off since 9am Sunday. Runs like a top. All of my neighbors have 7000-10000 watt cheap generators and none of them can get it to run their AC units. Honda is doing something right.

honda_eu7000is_watt_ultra_quiet_generator_with_gfi_and_imonitor_1404889_1.jpg