Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you respond if an 80 kwh Roadster pack were available in 2014?

If an 80 kwh Roadster battery pack were available in 2014...

• I would pay for a straight upgrade right away at whatever it costs

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Depending on price, I might pay for a straight upgrade right away

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • In a few years, I would pay for a straight upgrade at whatever it costs

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Depending on price, and in a few years, I might pay for a straight upgrade

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I would pay to upgrade only if my current pack "breaks" outside of warranty

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • I would only get one as part of a fix under warranty, if significantly discounted

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I would only get one as part of a fix under warranty, and only if there's no extra cost

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I would upgrade to one via my prepaid battery replacement, if the extra cost is reasonable

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I would only get one as my prepaid battery replacement, and only if there's no extra cost

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • None of the above apply for my situation

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An advantage that I haven't seen mentioned for the lighter battery/better performance scenario is that the battery should be less expensive than the bigger battery option?

Hey PDude, have tried to reflect that in the new poll on type of Roadster battery upgrade preferred - I think others have also mentioned it.

(One thing to watch in pack ideas based on lower cell counts - the impact of individual cell failures should be greater, as there are fewer sharing the load. Esp. if the improved handling is for harder driving on track days...)

Hey PDude, have tried to reflect that in the new poll on type of Roadster battery upgrade preferred - I think others have also mentioned it.

(One thing to watch in pack ideas based on lower cell counts - the impact of individual cell failures should be greater, as there are fewer sharing the load. Esp. if the improved handling is for harder driving on track days...)

Thanks pharma5, I was away from my computer for a couple days and had not seen the new poll.

Bumping this up briefly. If you are reading this, you probably know about the ~400 mile range Roadster pack upgrade mentioned in Auto Express.

Six months back, when asking about a hypothetical lesser pack upgrade for 2014 (~350 miles), the biggest group of respondents (22 of 62) indicated that price would matter and they'd likely wait before upgrading (e.g., old pack still good).

3 of 62 would do it right away without real concern for price, and 8 of 62 would do it right away depending on price.

All this suggest the rollout for a ~400 mile pack upgrade could be fairly gradual (without swamping the company), but still quickly get to 50-100 cars to get the PR word out and show off the new tech. (Upgrading a loaner roadster and letting trusted auto journalists revisit the car would also help bring the point home).:wink: