Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to keep defroster on while clearing car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the title says, I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the front defroster running while I am clearing ice/snow from my car. When I leave work, I will start the HVAC, but obviously can't start the defrosters until I am at the car. Two days ago come out at 7 am with 4 inches of snow on top. I leaned in, turned on the front, rear, and wiper defroster and started clearing snow. I even left the keys on the drivers seat in case this would trigger it. Once I got the car clear and get back in, the rear defroster is still running but the front has turned off. Is there anyway to force it to stay on while I am scraping?

Camping mode. Put in neutral (turn on parking brake please!) and leave car on while you clean. If you have cold weather package and AP2 your car continuously defrosts certain sections so that always helps give a toehold whenever ice is under that snow (as I've faced a couple times recently).

Not sure if this does what you need, but I find leaving the driver door partially closed (just short of fully latched) lets the AC/Heat run for quite a while. I use that when a passenger is in the right seat and I step into a store to make a quick purchase for example.

I wish Tesla would update their app to work how my old Cadillac's remote start did: When the temperature was below some pre-programmed threshold, it would turn on the front and rear defrosters and the seat heaters when you remotely started the car. In the summer, above some threshold, it would turn on the seat coolers as well. In the "in-between" temperatures, it would just start the car and set the HVAC to full Auto without the seat heater/cooler and defrosters.