Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to insure that cameras will catch the cause of an accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. While on an interstate, and approaching a section of the fwy where transitions to three other major fwys are possible, a car suddenly swerved in front of our 2023 MY, missing it by a couple of feet. The car then crossed two more lanes of traffic. Luckily, there were no collisions. I'm not sure why the car suddenly swerved--there was plenty of time to make the transition he ultimately took. Could I have done anything at that moment (or previously in Setup) to capture the entire event, from the moment he departed his lane? Thanks.

Ensure you have a working USB drive in the USB port in the glove box(it comes with it). Otherwise, you can look a the overview of how sentry mode and dashcam work in a stickied thread we have in the model 3 subforum. It works the same on a model Y.

And also ensure you read through the tesla manual on these features to understand how Tesla says they operate:

Understanding how they work, and how to save data for them would give you the best chance of accomplishing what you are asking in the thread title.

Reactions: piarenla
Upvote 0
First, read the Owner’s Manual. There is LOTS of good information in there. I read the manual cover to cover before I took delivery, because I knew there were differences between Tesla vehicles and other manufacturers.

I have mine set to save the last 10 minutes of dashcam video if I ever honk the horn.

Without that option set, while you are driving, the last 60 minutes is saved in a rotating buffer. You can manually save the last 10 minutes of that buffer by pressing the vehicle icons to bring up the settings and then briefly touching the dashcam icon.

Both of those functions are documented in the manual. https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-3BCC07CE-5EA2-4F40-99D1-27690898FF3C.html

Upvote 0
There are quite a few multi channel cameras available

1699463938956.png

Upvote 0