Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to back within 12"/300mm of a wall (pics)???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
I need to back in to charge at my building and Tesla is a real left foot nanny. To get close I need to have my left foot ready to brake. It is just too chancy to rely on my right right making the change when the wall is that close and pushing the accelerator. Should I uses Summon (just got my 3 yesterday) or what is the best method to get close to the wall and not hit it?

My ELR would allow me to left foot brake it so I could get really close. A little scared with my Tesla.

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

I need to back in to charge at my building and Tesla is a real left foot nanny. To get close I need to have my left foot ready to brake. It is just too chancy to rely on my right right making the change when the wall is that close and pushing the accelerator. Should I uses Summon (just got my 3 yesterday) or what is the best method to get close to the wall and not hit it?

My ELR would allow me to left foot brake it so I could get really close. A little scared with my Tesla.

View attachment 414179
View attachment 414180
Turn on creep and you can right foot brake.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
No, I think they mean right foot brake.

Put your right foot on the brake > turn on Creep > switch to Reverse > lift your right foot up, creep backwards, put your foot down when you're done.
Yea just 2 days without Creep and I forgot how to use it.:D:D

(NON) News Flash: You can't toggle Creep while you are driving. So I had to put in Park to enable. It works perfectly and I got 14" from the wall easily. Had to walk behind to plug in charging cable so CAN'T get any closer. Tesla and their way of wrong siding it.:D

Just a little pain to cut on then off. I will try and remember to cut on while at the gate.

Also anyone: Just got yesterday and this morning after 1st charge could not get the J-1772 adaptor out of the port. I unlocked the car and left the door open and it was still locked. I had to go into the Tesla app to unlock the port. Is this normal? Seems like a lot of trouble every time and what about people using the key card or Fob?

View attachment 414179
View attachment 414180

Does the Caddy have brake caliper covers?

Yea just 2 days without Creep and I forgot how to use it.:D:D

(NON) News Flash: You can't toggle Creep while you are driving. So I had to put in Park to enable. It works perfectly and I got 14" from the wall easily. Had to walk behind to plug in charging cable so CAN'T get any closer. Tesla and their way of wrong siding it.:D

Just a little pain to cut on then off. I will try and remember to cut on while at the gate.

Also anyone: Just got yesterday and this morning after 1st charge could not get the J-1772 adaptor out of the port. I unlocked the car and left the door open and it was still locked. I had to go into the Tesla app to unlock the port. Is this normal? Seems like a lot of trouble every time and what about people using the key card or Fob?
I've only charged using my home charger but, I have always had to use my phone app to unlock the port. I know of no other way to remove the charging cable after charge completion other than the center screen to unlock when using the key card or if you have phone, don't know about the fob. Am I missing something??

View attachment 414179
View attachment 414180
That charge cord looks long enough. Why do you have to back in so far? Seems pointless.

That charge cord looks long enough. Why do you have to back in so far? Seems pointless.
Because Sentry mode "looks' more forward. Can you get Sentry Mode to use the rear camera?

EDIT: Also pulling in forward wouldn't really be any easer with Creep off and I would have a camera for extra security backing. I guess once you get close you would also get the distance in inches to the front too?

Last edited:

You gotta pull both all in one motion. Push down the unlock button on the J1772 to unlock the port, then pull both the adapter and the J1772 handle at the same time. Takes two hands for me.