Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How soon will BYD be the largest BEV manufacturer in the world?

When will BYD be the largest BEV manufacturer in the world?

• 3 months

• 6 months

• 12 months

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already is:

BYD Auto has leaped past Tesla to become the new EV king, boosting its output by a massive 211% in 2022. Given this trajectory, the company will likely become the world’s first automaker to produce over 2 million EVs in a single year.

EVERY MANUFACTURER has a demand problem. Either there's too many cars and they can't sale them or there's not enough cars and they can't deliver them.

Tesla still has a backlog that it is trying to fill and aside from S3XY, there's a pent up demand for the Cybertruck, whose gate is about to break loose.

If Tesla really had a demand problem, in that they can't sale more cars, then why are they building more factories?

Already the largest EV manufacturer (includes PHEVs) in the world & with a current growth rate of 100% vs Tesla at 35%, BYD will soon be the largest BEV manufacturer in the world also.
PEV manufacturer. Don't include PHEV with EV. BEV is just a way of clarifying EV.

Probably soon. Not as profitable as Tesla though, and I think will have more difficulty getting good profits in premium developed markets.

PEV manufacturer. Don't include PHEV with EV. BEV is just a way of clarifying EV.

Probably soon. Not as profitable as Tesla though, and I think will have more difficulty getting good profits in premium developed markets.
The letters 'EV' are in 'PHEV'.
Many PHEVs provide electric only propulsion for 90%+ of commutes
Tesla BEVs are FULL of fossil fuel based parts
Tesla wasn't profitable until a little over 3 years ago, for perspective.
BYD operate in far more markets than Tesla & are far more vertically integrated

EVERY MANUFACTURER has a demand problem. Either there's too many cars and they can't sale them or there's not enough cars and they can't deliver them.

Tesla still has a backlog that it is trying to fill and aside from S3XY, there's a pent up demand for the Cybertruck, whose gate is about to break loose.

If Tesla really had a demand problem, in that they can't sale more cars, then why are they building more factories?

Actually every manufacturer except Tesla has a profit-margin problem. Ford lost tens of thousands of dollars on every EV it made. I'm not sure BYD is at break-even despite having the largest economy of scale short of Tesla. Everyone else is pouring cash into getting market share.

Reactions: finman100
Actually every manufacturer except Tesla has a profit-margin problem. Ford lost tens of thousands of dollars on every EV it made. I'm not sure BYD is at break-even despite having the largest economy of scale short of Tesla. Everyone else is pouring cash into getting market share.
Actually they don't have a profit problem, when losses on EVs are more than offset by huge profits on ICEVs
Legacy manufacturers can do this for years, during the transition

Nah, just requires an ounce of lateral thinking.
Tesla took 16 years to be profitable with BEVs, come Q3 2019
Legacy auto won’t take anywhere near that long.
Not quite true.

Traditional manufacturers are drooling over Tesla's profit margins right now. They are starting to implement many of the new techniques that Tesla has come up with to minimize costs.

Not quite true.

Traditional manufacturers are drooling over Tesla's profit margins right now. They are starting to implement many of the new techniques that Tesla has come up with to minimize costs.

I agree to some extent. The level of mindlessly-copying what Tesla did (right down to the minimalist interior with a big touch screen in the middle, to say nothing of mega-castings in manufacturing) is amusing.

But I don't think the traditional makers will see quite the margins that Tesla squeezes out, because they are copying - going thru the motions of what Tesla did on manufacturing efficiency without being obsessed with it like Tesla is.

The Koreans look the most motivated - I think they'll get there. Everyone else? Meh