Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you tip Tesla Valet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tipping = bribing to get better service. Their employers should pay them enough. This tipping mentality is not something I personally like. Doesn't mean I am not appreciative of what people do for me, but when I've paid for it once, I don't want add ons. Like in the U.S., you go for breakfast, and you see an omlette for 10 bucks. But you're out 20 bucks anyway. Why? Tip and tax and the $4 Orange juice.

Its about truth in pricing. If it's gonna cost more (tips or otherwise), then just raise the prices and keep the system honest.

There is one good thing about tipping however - when you hand a $5 tip to someone, obama doesn't take $2.50 out of it. Unless of course you are in an institutionalized tipping profession like waiters. IRS will automatically assume a minimum amount of tips and tax you anyway :).

Waiting tables for instance started as a decent job. People could actually make some money from it. It's a very tough job mind you. Then some people started tipping out of the goodness of their hearts, which was I am sure appreciated by the waiters too. Over time it has turned into minimum wage for waiters (hey you get tipped right), and being taxed on the tips regardless if you received a tip or not.

So so much so that if you don't tip 15% the waiter actually looses money by serving you. It's awful.

Don't tip. Pay tesla so tesla can pay their employees. If tesla doesn't pay their employees, pay someone else. Tipping in the long run has bad unintended consequences.

Also, it's nice to go into a restaurant in Europe and know that 25€ is indeed 25€, not 30 or 35.
Also yes service in Italy or France is not as good. But that's because they are Italy and France. Service in Scandinavia is fine, you don't need to tip there, and everyone makes a decent living. That's awesome!

by the way what really pissed me off lately, tipping in London is not as customary as it is in the U.S. But recently I went into a restaurant, yes they added a "service charge" and there was a line for tip on top of that. I wrote -£4 in the tip and left the total on the table. They wanna fight? Bring it on! (Service was not exceptional anyway)

Whatever be the historical reasons for it, tipping is here to stay. This post was an eye opener:

Everything You Dont Know About Tipping | Wait But Why

Very interesting read. I had two comments
1. Tips might be here to stay for now, but I heard if at least one restaurant opening with a "no tip" rule. The food is priced with tips included, and the wait staff are paid living wages.
2. I don't agree with the article that you should tip even if the service is horrendous. Take it up with the manager? 100%. But I don't see why you should "pay" someone for doing... a horrible job