Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Teslas are in the Bay Area ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to find this information ? Just for curiosity. I have a 25 mile one way work commute from Peninsula to East Bay and probably see 25-30 Teslas on the road every day. That is crazy to me, but I still feel that the market here is not saturated yet.

Or this link
http://energycenter.org/sites/defau...nce-electric/EXEL-Bay-Area-EV-Driver-Data.pdf

From this (kind of dated) report:
16% of 21K EVs in the Bay Area are Teslas ~3,350. Seems like there are a lot more than that these days.

That survey is from 2014. Sounds about right for back then.

When looking I came across 2016 data for this county and there were 121 Teslas registered here the end of the month I bought my car. I'm sure it's a lot more now. I see at least one whenever I go into Vancouver.

My carpool at my tech company complained when I had a black Tesla that literally every 3rd car that pulls up was a black Tesla, so they kept looking like creeps trying to get into strangers' cars XD

When I got a new Tesla this year, I got a blue one. I asked them today if there's any improvement: "No. Get a funny license plate"

LOL... :) I know the feeling here...

Jeff

Is there any way to find this information ? Just for curiosity. I have a 25 mile one way work commute from Peninsula to East Bay and probably see 25-30 Teslas on the road every day. That is crazy to me, but I still feel that the market here is not saturated yet.
I think Toronto has even more. it's unbelievable the amount of Teslas I see in Toronto and Montreal.
Montreal has the largest dealership in North America and I believe the largest SC station as well with 12 stalls!

Prior to CA implementing income restictions in 2016, the Clean Vehicle Rebate website had decent data, if you assumed all Tesla owners in CA applied for the rebate. Using Bay Area counties as a filter, there are at least 6,665 Tesla's on the road. (rebate recipients) Since the income restriction was effective March 26, 2016, there is a chunk of Teslas missing. CVRP Rebate Statistics

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
@NikeWings Thanks for posting that link. I think that website provides the closes estimate to number of Teslas. I filtered by Marin, SF, San Mateo. Santa Clara, Alameda, and Contra Costa and number came down to ~12,000. Assuming many folks didn't bother applying for the rebate and then the income criteria, I would say the actual number is between 15-18,000.

I think Toronto has even more. it's unbelievable the amount of Teslas I see in Toronto and Montreal.
Montreal has the largest dealership in North America and I believe the largest SC station as well with 12 stalls!

There is no way Toronto has more Teslas than Bay Area, home of Tesla. According to this link (Electric Vehicle Sales in Canada: 2016 Final Update) total Teslas sold in Canada between 2014 and 2016 is ~4000. Sales in Toronto will be a portion of that. Btw, just the Dublin supercharger in the Bay Area (1 of 4) has 14 stalls and always has a 4-5 car deep line.

It probably goes without saying that Tesla’s are EVERYWHERE in the Bay Area. I can’t count the number of S and X I see each and every day (hundred?). I only count Model 3s now. On average I see one a day these days (January 2018). But sometimes it’s still crazy how many I see. Last weekend, I saw 3 (one blue, one silver, one white) within 10 minutes of each other on the road “in the wild” (not counting the ones that are now in the Stanford and Santana Row stores).

I tend to only notice the number of S and X in certain situations like @mkspeedr was mentioning. Last being a few days ago when I was transitioning from I-880 to 280 N and noticed that of the 4 cars on the sweeping clover leaf on-ramp at that exact moment, 3 of them were Teslas. Model S #1, some ICE car, Model S#2 and my Model S. It’s moments like that where it’s reinforced just how many Teslas are around here.

It probably goes without saying that Tesla’s are EVERYWHERE in the Bay Area. I can’t count the number of S and X I see each and every day (hundred?). I only count Model 3s now. On average I see one a day these days (January 2018). But sometimes it’s still crazy how many I see. Last weekend, I saw 3 (one blue, one silver, one white) within 10 minutes of each other on the road “in the wild” (not counting the ones that are now in the Stanford and Santana Row stores).

I tend to only notice the number of S and X in certain situations like @mkspeedr was mentioning. Last being a few days ago when I was transitioning from I-880 to 280 N and noticed that of the 4 cars on the sweeping clover leaf on-ramp at that exact moment, 3 of them were Teslas. Model S #1, some ICE car, Model S#2 and my Model S. It’s moments like that where it’s reinforced just how many Teslas are around here.

Yes, agree. I think there has been an explosion of Teslas since my post. Nowadays I would venture a guess that I come across 40-50 Teslas in a day. Since last week, Model 3 sightings have been going up as well. I probably see 4-5 a day these days.