Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people ordered P90D w/ black Onix wheel did not get a vin yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I configured with 22" Onyx wheels and have VIN #24X. My Tesla page says delivery will be February or early March. Looks as if alleged Onyx wheel delay may not be totally accurate.

Reservation 09/13
P90DL, Obsidian, Onyx, Black Interior/6 seats, every other option except towing.

I configured with 22" Onyx wheels and have VIN #24X. My Tesla page says delivery will be February or early March. Looks as if alleged Onyx wheel delay may not be totally accurate.

Reservation 09/13
P90DL, Obsidian, Onyx, Black Interior/6 seats, every other option except towing.

This is such a great news. I really hope there is no delay for the black wheel. Thanks for sharing!

Btw, what is your confirmation date? Thanks

I confirmed a P90DL with 22" carbon wheels and every extra option on 12/28/15. DS assigned last week but no VIN# yet. I see folks posting who confirmed after me that already have a VIN#. There is speculation that there is/was a limited supply of the carbon wheels, perhaps leading Tesla to change suppliers and therefore change the name to "Onyx". I believe the 22" carbon/onyx wheels are causing a production delay. DS could only say "early 2016 delivery date".

Response to my question about waiving the $500 change fee for changing from black onyx to silver....So I guess TM is willing to wait until July? to get my $148,000 instead of foregoing a $500 "fee" and getting it now.

if any one can figure that out please let me know.
"

Tesla sells every car they produce every day. It doesn't matter if they sell it to you or someone else. Allowing YOU to buy YOUR car earlier doesn't effect their cash flow one bit. Its not like your car is built and sitting there waiting for you.

Tesla sells every car they produce every day. It doesn't matter if they sell it to you or someone else. Allowing YOU to buy YOUR car earlier doesn't affect their cash flow one bit. It's not like your car is built and sitting there waiting for you.

Technically, Tesla will not start producing a car unless they have a customer for it, so the statement that they sell every car they produce is not really all that helpful. Every car is custom-ordered.

Technically, Tesla will not start producing a car unless they have a customer for it, so the statement that they sell every car they produce is not really all that helpful. Every car is custom-ordered.
Except, of course, the ones destined for the demo/loaner fleet. Unless they are just cars that customers ordered and then cancelled or failed to take delivery of. Then again, I guess there could be enough trade-ins now that they don't even need to make demos.

No because Tesla has yet to produce a Model X with these wheels (other than a one-off 21 inch for Elon). It has been reported there is a sourcing issue and they will not be available until the summer. This was reported two or three weeks ago. There are at least three other threats asking the same question and with the same answer.

i think the better question is how many ordered the black onyx and got a vin...

Confirmed first week of December. p90D with black rims (pissed abt it now due to lack of communication), but I did receive a vin around 12/22 - VIN is low 300s. AND MyTesla initially listed Jan-early FEB delivery, which is no longer there. But I haven't even been told my car is going into production or anything... NADA and I am sure it's because of the rims - given people around my VIN # have scheduled delivery already (happy for them, but i dont like this wait in the dark game). :cursing:

I am surprised at all the complaining about delivery times and etc. I remember when you had to order your car, you could pick out the paint, seats, stereo, the engine etc. You waited 3-4 months before your car showed up. Now days everyone is so spoiled. You just go to a car dealership, and pick up 1 of 100 cars they have sitting on the lot. They force you to get what they have in stock and not what you want. Enjoy the experience of actually ordering the exact car you want. Understand that they have to make your car for you and no for the everyone else. They are not doing a run of 5000 cars with the exact same engine, stereo, paint color, seats and other options. They are making the car for you. If you want something that you can have tomorrow, go by a Jeep, a Land Rover, or something that is mass produced. That is not where Tesla is at this point.

Just saying :)

If it were actually a 3-4 month wait, I'd be jumping for joy. Not only did I HAPPILY have my deposit down for 3+ years, I configured 4 months ago and still probably have another 3 months to go (for a P90D - intentionally got the most expensive car so I could get it sooner based on the message Tesla CONVEYED). The issue is more so the lack of communication. I was told delivery of Jan-early Feb, which I was happy about. But now it's a complete black box and I don't know when my car is being produced, the factors delaying production, and who is making these decisions. Also, if I would have known from the beginning certain things would delay me, I would have made different decisions. Such as I intentionally got a fully optioned P90D because I didn't want to wait and extra 6 months for a 90D.

In the time I've been aimlessly waiting, I probably should have bought a Jeep or Land Rover. But your logic and reasoning are not accurate because it's not about being spoiled and getting instant gratification. Instead of shifting the blame/burden on us consumers, you should question Tesla and their ability to deliver their WORD to people buying their product. I understand the company is hitting headwinds, but the way in which they are treating/communicating (more so the lack thereof) their loyal customers is embarrassing. I think Tesla owners deserve better care and communication, managing our expectations would put a lot of anxiety at rest.

I am surprised at all the complaining about delivery times and etc. I remember when you had to order your car, you could pick out the paint, seats, stereo, the engine etc. You waited 3-4 months before your car showed up. Now days everyone is so spoiled. You just go to a car dealership, and pick up 1 of 100 cars they have sitting on the lot. They force you to get what they have in stock and not what you want. Enjoy the experience of actually ordering the exact car you want. Understand that they have to make your car for you and no for the everyone else. They are not doing a run of 5000 cars with the exact same engine, stereo, paint color, seats and other options. They are making the car for you. If you want something that you can have tomorrow, go by a Jeep, a Land Rover, or something that is mass produced. That is not where Tesla is at this point.

There are still cars that you have to order instead of can pick up on dealer's lot. That might be when you want a special color/configuration or some scarce models that every single one is sold before arrived at the dealer. It was 6 months wait when you order a Macan last year and "no car for you" for many who wanted a Hellcat.

See atttached link where forum member got verification from Tesla saying that Black Onyx will delay delivery. The latest news reported on this forum is summer is earliest possible delivery. Also for those waiting for a VIN. No VINS AT ALL have been issued in four weeks. So far VINs have only been issued for cars that have these options:

P90D or P90DL
Premium Option
Auto Pilot Option
no Black Onyx Wheel
other options will not effect delivery time

There are still some with this configuration who have not yet got VIN but all who have gotten VINs have this configuration.
Changing to non-Black Onyx could send you to bottom of your groups list, no one knows.

Black Onyx Wheels - Page 4