Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are opting for SR?

Skipping LR for SR?

• Already skipped the configuration LR invite for SR (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I have not been invited to configure but will skip LR for SR and wait around. (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I have not been invited to configure but will go for LR and not wait for SR (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 60 44.8%
  • Skipping the invite for Dual Motors SR

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Skipping the invite for Dual Motors LR

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • Will patiently wait for Performance Dual Motors. Not caring about 7.5K tax credit.

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think I'll need to go LR.

-I would want to drive 85 miles per hour, I believe I read that at those speeds its about 15% less range? So x0.85

-Winter conditions here are around freezing point, so that's another 15% off?

-Battery degredation of 7% after 50k miles.

So that would translate to a range 2/3rd of best conditions.

Thus 147 miles/235km for SR and 207/331km for LR.

Only LR would be able to cover some of the trips I make then without too much range anxiety. Sure I can adjust speed but not buying a 50k car to do 60 behind a truck.

Correct me if my assumptions are wrong pls

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
If I still lived in “nice-n-flat” Florida, I’d be considering the SR. Here in CO it’s insurance against cold and elevation differences. I travel regionally and need to not worry about it. Here, a 200 mike trip could be “going into the next town”.

OP comment on MS and MX made me wonder how many of those will become “garage queens” after their owners get their 3s. Seems like my stress level would be way lower driving around A $50k car than a $100k car on a daily basis.

What? Do trucks do 75 in the states? They do 55-60 in Europe, or at least here in The Netherlands.

It's not uncommon for them to be doing 80mph around here outside of town. Not all of them as some of them have limiters on them although I haven't seen any fleet run limiters under 65 and most are at least 70mph here. Where I live there are a few roads with posted limit of 75mph for all traffic (we don't do dual speed limits thankfully), then traffic runs 5 to 10 mph above that.

We unfortunately live near a Wal-Mart distribution center. They limit their trucks to 65 and they are a true traffic hazard on I-25 and I-80 because of this. Traffic and other semi trucks are constantly having to leapfrog Wal-Mart trucks on the highway. I certainly hope that Tesla doesn't allow them to do that on their trucks.

On the flip side, if you want to go really slow behind a Wal-Mart truck, I'm sure you would get some amazing range.

Sorry for the tangent. Sore subject.

We really only need SR with single motor. However, my wife and I are still talking about whether to wait or go with the $49,000 version now offered. Since we lost our Leaf just after we got the S, it would be nice to be back to an all electric family.

My preference is the LR battery. You never know when that extra range will come in handy. However, since we have the S, it is the go-to vehicle for all our long range travels.

Dual motor would also be nice, but since we can take the MS 75D if we go to snow country, no need to have it in the 3.

Since we would only need to Supercharge in the 3 if we drive it more than 155 miles away, the LR will be handy. You can always have extra range left after the drive in the LR, but not so easy to add range later in the SR. jmho

We unfortunately live near a Wal-Mart distribution center. They limit their trucks to 65 and they are a true traffic hazard on I-25 and I-80 because of this. Traffic and other semi trucks are constantly having to leapfrog Wal-Mart trucks on the highway. I certainly hope that Tesla doesn't allow them to do that on their trucks.

On the flip side, if you want to go really slow behind a Wal-Mart truck, I'm sure you would get some amazing range.

Sorry for the tangent. Sore subject.

On the other hand, the slow removal of all paint from your front end would suck.

I have a ~170 mile round trip commute. I will be getting the LR version. I am still undecided about AWD or not. I wish they would post the price for it. I keep going back and forth but if the invite comes in I don't think I will be able to delay for AWD if they haven't already started production.

Hmmm. LR might be the ticket to a higher resale value compared to other BEVs even past eight years if the battery and DU hold up. :)

Not having to charge and pay more at public charging stations is heaven sent especially during the cold winter when top ups among BEV owners are going to be more common and where charging etiquette maybe not be ingrained especially at free stations where employers offer them.

Hmmm. LR might be the ticket to a higher resale value compared to other BEVs even past eight years if the battery and DU hold up. :)

Not having to charge and pay more at public charging stations is heaven sent especially during the cold winter when top ups among BEV owners are going to be more common and where charging etiquette maybe not be ingrained especially at free stations where employers offer them.
I agree. After a decade an SR's remaining range would be kind of iffy for getting between superchargers on a long trip, and would probably be resold only as a city car. An LR's battery should still have plenty, and would retain value as a long-distance capable car.

Reactions: internalaudit