Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many gallons will you no longer burn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not with the filters that are now mandatory on every diesel car they don't.

As a matter of fact, new gasoline cars emit more particles than new diesel cars.

Ever watched a diesel for a while and seen what happens occasionally when they change gear? They dump the contents of those filters after the distance of the emissions tests. It's called gaming the system.

Yeah, it's hard to believe what people put up with on a regular basis. Some people complain that even Superchargers are too slow; people will never wait 30 minutes for a refill.

What if they only have to do that waiting on their one road trip each year? What if the fuel is free? Watching people wait in line at Costco to save a few cents on gas leads me to believe this model can work. (And if it doesn't, sheesh, take another car).

View attachment 10633

I find it funny how many people that don't own EVs complain about their lack of convenience. They are so much more convenient than gas cars.

Although, back on topic, our new Model S isn't saving us any gas because my wife and I already both drove electric. But now we have a single car that has both range and room for passengers and cargo, so some aspects of life will be easier. Plus, if/when the faster charging that Tesla promised for the Model S materializes where I can use it, I can probably convince my wife to take a long trip in the car rather than flying. So the Model S may well keep us from burning a lot of jet fuel.

This is exactly the picture I wanted to capture at our Safeway and/or Costco!!! There's always a line at the gas stations these days, often waiting 5 to 10 minutes to get to the pump. So looking forward to avoiding this!

Must be the cheap water power in Norway (as well as the fact that Norway has plenty of oil resources). Then again, you pay much more than us in Germany for a lot of other things.

And even though it hurts our family budget: I'd rather pay even more for electricity if it helps in achieving the goal of financing the change to alternative energy.
Our kids will thank us in the end.

Electricity from FPL is $.084-$.094/ kWh incl. fees. Makes more economic sense at these rates (but is usually based on a heavy amount of clean burn coal.)

Tesla has a calculator in the store that showed 23000 miles at this rate saving $1748/ yr assuming $3.69/gallon and 25 mpg on my prior vehicle. While my initial savings look to be more, it will probably average out over time...

Last edited:
We live in north central Washington State and put 19,000 a year on our Trailblazer. We have recorded our trips for the last six months. Based on this we estimate that we will transfer 80% of those miles to the Model S. In our part of the country gasoline is currently about $4.00/Gal and electricity (hydro generated) is $0.028/kWh. So, 15,200 miles (80% of 19,000)/19.1 (Trailblazer MPG) = 795.8 (GALs used) 795.8*4.00 = $3,183 Our plan is to bank this for use in helping us purchase new high storage density batteries within 8 years... Cost of electrical energy to cover the 15,200 miles will be about $120. 15,200/300 *85 = 4,306 kWh 4,306 * 0.028 = 120.56 Our S will be delivered with the 85 kW battery; however, I am confident that within the life cycle of that battery system better less expensive storage will be available.

Last edited: