Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your exterior protected?

How is your exterior protected?

• Full Xpel (or comparable)

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Full Xpel + Opticoat

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Partial Xpel

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Partial Xpel + Opticoat

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Opticoat

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Naked, just how I like it

Votes: 36 34.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds high to me. My quote is here. They haven't done that many Teslas but I can let you know how mine goes. Mine doesn't include tinted windows.

Thanks. Sounds like the Vancouver guy is in line. He is a mobile installer that moved here from Alberta. He said it is cheaper here than in Alberta because of lower demand. I'll be taking my car places many owners wouldn't, as it will be my only vehicle, so I think it's worth the full wrap. Hopefully you're pleased with your end result.

Update: I just got a quote from the local Vancouver guy and he can do the Xpel Ultimate wrap on site at the Vancouver Service Center. He said it should be $3500-$4000 for a full wrap of $1400 for standard front wrap.

My understanding is that if they are doing it for those prices, they are using the pre-cut pieces rather than folding the wrap over the edges.

My understanding is that if they are doing it for those prices, they are using the pre-cut pieces rather than folding the wrap over the edges.

Thanks for bringing that up. I called and he said that he would use pre-cut pieces for the bumpers and possibly the doors. Hood would be custom. There would just be one spot on the bumper that would not be able to be wrapped over the edge. He said the pieces are cut specifically for the Model S. I think the rate is "low" in this case because he does not have the overhead of having a shop. We'll see if it works out. I will post comments and photos once it's complete.

And the other question is: What does full coverage consist of:

1. Every spec of painted exterior surface?

2. The nose cone and headlights?

3. The strip between the windshield and the pano roof?

This is my quote for a place in Calgary, work is already in progress so a bit late to put this out there, just curious if this looks right and I guess if it does, pairtrader can use it as a guide. One thing I'm aware of after visiting today is that they are not removing any parts from the car. I'm not sure if a proper wrap requires this but I'm kind of relieved to be honest.

Job Description: Xpel Ultimate - Wrapped Cost:
Full Hood, Fenders, Mirrors $1,180
Front Bumper $ 600
Rear Bumper $ 355
A-pillar & roof kit $ 505
Doors $1,180
Rear fenders $1,180
Rocker panels $ 300
Luggage Area $ 80

For a full car, which is everything on this list plus some extra pieces (such as trunk, head & fog lights) the price is $4500. To just choose off the above menu, please deduct 15% off the total for the purchase of multiple kits to come to the final price.

* The wrapping of edges where possible (particularly around the hood and fender), which is a highly technical and difficult skill has already been calculated into the price.
* We will be using the premium quality Xpel Ultimate film which has the ability to “heal” from minor injuries and scratching with the application of heat.

Don't all these clear bra films have a 5 year lifespan at best? This means that one has to be prepared to have it removed after its lifespan and a new one applied? What about some discussion of this aspect?
I don't have any real experience of this but the Xpel warranty reads as:
This product carries a 10 year warranty against, yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, and hazing, covering both film and labor.

Don't all these clear bra films have a 5 year lifespan at best? This means that one has to be prepared to have it removed after its lifespan and a new one applied? What about some discussion of this aspect?

Xpel has ten years, most of the others have a five year warranty. However, warranty != lifespan.

We'll see if it works out. I will post comments and photos once it's complete.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I put 2ple on mine and it went on easy and looks great but there's just no way it can offer the same protection as a wrap. Then again, wraps are untested long term and regardless of the length of the warranty they all exclude rock chips - which is the main reason I want protection. So it seems my money may be better spent fixing those later than trying to prevent the unpreventible - at least on the highways around here in the winter. It's a crime the size of the gravel used.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I put 2ple on mine and it went on easy and looks great but there's just no way it can offer the same protection as a wrap. Then again, wraps are untested long term and regardless of the length of the warranty they all exclude rock chips - which is the main reason I want protection. So it seems my money may be better spent fixing those later than trying to prevent the unpreventible - at least on the highways around here in the winter. It's a crime the size of the gravel used.

It's far cheaper to replace a section of wrap than it is to repaint the same section (and it never is as good as the factory). Wrap has already saved the paint on my Model S four or five times.

It's far cheaper to replace a section of wrap than it is to repaint the same section (and it never is as good as the factory). Wrap has already saved the paint on my Model S four or five times.

Understood but were talking rocks from big rigs that smash windshields and make you almost think you were hit by a bomb. It's not something you have to deal with in Texas. We have dump trucks that spread gravel on the roads by the tons. No wrap will protect the paint from those rockets.

I decided to go with partial Xpel Ultimate and Opticoat. The Vancouver service center has a guy they use to fix the unfixable when cars are delivered, who will be doing the work for me. He recommended partial plus opti over a full wrap. $2250+tax.

Hi folks, taking delivery in a few weeks and looking for a few answers on Opti-Coat Pro:
* Is Opti-Coat Pro now Opti-Guard? Are they identical other than the name? It seems Opti-Coat 2.0 is the consumer apply-yourself stuff which is not as good (plus i'd do a terrible job)
* Seems to be a mixed story on the Warranty. I've heard 0 years, 5 years, lifetime as options. Some seem to charge for the warranty. Whats the deal and if you do have to pay is it worth it (do you do it?)
* Other than the basic paint there are other things they offer to cover with Opti-products:
** Wheels (face or full)
** Headlights/Tail lights
** Glass

Are these worth doing (not $$, just worth doing in general on a daily driver) and are they permanent/long lasting or more temporary? I think the glass one is just temporary but the others are permanent. Is the glass one any better than a basic Rain-X treatment?

Thanks!

This is my car with partial Xpel and full Opti Coat.
1658404_266026313578141_1986046461_o.jpg