Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the app able to show my car range when the car is underground?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parking space at my condo is 2 or 3 floors underground on the P3 level. It shows no service on the LTE when I pull in, and even if I'm on the P1 level there's no cell service on my phone. If I'm upstairs in my condo though, I can open the Tesla app, and after 30-60 seconds of waking up, it shows connected and shows my range etc. I thought maybe it was just estimating but sure enough when I went to the car the next day the actual range on it was what the app was showing me and not what it was when I pulled in.

Am I just crazy or how is that possible?

Reactions: asianxtreme
My parking space at my condo is 2 or 3 floors underground on the P3 level. It shows no service on the LTE when I pull in, and even if I'm on the P1 level there's no cell service on my phone. If I'm upstairs in my condo though, I can open the Tesla app, and after 30-60 seconds of waking up, it shows connected and shows my range etc. I thought maybe it was just estimating but sure enough when I went to the car the next day the actual range on it was what the app was showing me and not what it was when I pulled in.

Am I just crazy or how is that possible?
is there wifi in the garage?

While you are driving the car updates the app with mileage and battery level using Bluetooth. So when you park the app should showcsame mileage as car (or perhaps within one mile depending on last update).

It does, but it shows the normal overnight battery drain also. Like I can arrive with 420km range, check it 8 hours later it might say 418km, check anothe r8 hours later it says 415km range, and again 8 hours later now 413km range. I go down get in the car, sure enough it's at 413km range.

Reactions: asianxtreme
Process of elimination.

Try turning off Bluetooth after you leave the car. See if the app is still updating as you described. And vice versa with internet (wifi/cell). At least you’ll know how the apps is updating.

My guess is that it is a pure estimation if the car truly has no WiFi/LTE/BT. Maybe you can do a longer test, like if you go on vacation. The estimation should start to vary.

I definitely could try to have someone go down while I honk or whatever. I'm on the 77th floor though so by the time they get down there it will take awhile, so would be honking for a while haha. It's honestly not a huge deal I was more curious how it could connect as there's really no service down there at all. Ironically I have the same problem up here as I'm too high for cell service so wifi only lol.