Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good could this model 3 be fixed after its accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a brand new 2019 model 3 AWD less than 2 months ago. Yesterday, I had a single car accident after acceleration on a curvy road I lost control of the car, swerved it, and hit a street light bulb on the side.

There were severe damages on the front axle, the two doors on the left, the wheels, and rear bottom of the car, (see the photos). No airbags were deployed. I have few questions:

1- How good could it be fixed back to its perfect condition -prior to the incident- by a certified Tesla body shop?

2- Does it make sense to have it fixed with my auto insurance and then trade it in for a brand new one? I am not sure that I would have the same happy feeling driving the car again.

3- How would you know if something inside is damaged (e.g. battery, motors) that might not be directly visible/scannable by the technician?

4- If your new Tesla has been in an accident of this magnitude, how did you endure the emotional pain? I got out of my car safe with no injuries, but this sh!t is killing me in the inside.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
First brother, so sorry for your accident. Glad you walked away, unharmed. Your question on "how good could it be after repair"?, one never knows BUT, a dependable and certified shop should have no problem. How much will insurance cover on your loss? Is it better to cut and run or take a chance on your first question? If you wouldn't have the "..same happy feeling" after rapair and, obviously, the trauma experienced, then total it, if you can(?) I'm sure Tesla would run diagnostics on all the systems (there's only a few) to assure the integrity.There's liability when reapairing a vehicle. "IF" they muck it up, they could be held responsible(?) After looking at your photos, save the front motor, it appears most is cosmetic(?) It may not be as bad as such but, the motors are not cheap.

Reactions: mhmhsh
First brother, so sorry for your accident. Glad you walked away, unharmed.
Thanks brother.

How much will insurance cover on your loss? Is it better to cut and run or take a chance on your first question? f you wouldn't have the "..same happy feeling" after rapair and, obviously, the trauma experienced, then total it, if you can(?)

I have full comprehensive coverage. There was no liability in this accident. I wish it can be totaled but my insurance think it can be fixed. I am also worried about how much my insurance premiums will increase next. I already paid over $1400 in my last premium for 6 months.

Everything I can see is cosmetic with the exception of the damage in picture 6 (as mentioned above).

I'm now in the unenviable position of having been rear-ended twice in my Model 3 Performance. Waiting for parts, but the first repair was done well and no issues with the paint blending.

I’m concerned about the damage to the b pillar. Besides that, prob good as new.

Sucks about the accident, if you don’t mind explaining what happened? I kind of assumed Tesla traction control would limit the slides you could do

Basically It accelerated more than I thought it would. I believe I hit the brake but the car did not respond immediately. I lost control of the car. I called Tesla to review the logs and investigate what exactly happened.

Last edited:
Everything I can see is cosmetic with the exception of the damage in picture 6 (as mentioned above).

I'm now in the unenviable position of having been rear-ended twice in my Model 3 Performance. Waiting for parts, but the first repair was done well and no issues with the paint blending.

May be it is not so clear from the pictures, but the front axle is very damaged, and the car is underivable. You can also see the wheels in the front and back are out of place.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you fix it in a Tesla certified body shop? Was their red painting any good?

Basically It accelerated more than I thought it would. I believe I hit the brake but the car did not respond immediately. I lost control of the car. I called Tesla to review the logs and investigate what exactly happened.
Brake or not, if your already sliding it’s not going to instantly stop. Heck, depending on skill level staying in the throttle can be better.

Expensive lesson on car control

May be it is not so clear from the pictures, but the front axle is very damaged, and the car is underivable. You can also see the wheels in the front and back are out of place.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you fix it in a Tesla certified body shop? Was their red painting any good?
Yeah, definitely didn’t notice that in the picture. However, I don’t think that is cause for concern. An axle is a removable component that can be replaced (not considering cost) but damage to the structural elements is where I’d be concerned.

Yes, I used a Tesla authorized body shop. In fact, it’s the one close to the Fremont factory. I also have red and the paint looked very good. Unnoticeable to my eyes.

Yeah, definitely didn’t notice that in the picture. However, I don’t think that is cause for concern. An axle is a removable component that can be replaced (not considering cost) but damage to the structural elements is where I’d be concerned.

Yes, I used a Tesla authorized body shop. In fact, it’s the one close to the Fremont factory. I also have red and the paint looked very good. Unnoticeable to my eyes.

That is good to know. Thanks.

I don't see that you have a choice but to let your insurance fix it. It's going to be an expensive repair. However, I don't think you then need to get rid of it. It should be right as rain afterwards.

I remember when my teenage son almost, but not quite, totaled my brand new 2005 Prius. In that case, the frame was a little out of true. I was really worried when the insurance company insisted on fixing it. They fixed it so well, that my daughter is still driving it today with over 300,000 miles on it.

Reactions: Dr. J and mhmhsh
Does it make sense to have it fixed with my auto insurance and then trade it in for a brand new one?

The car has less than 1300 miles.

You will take a hit ..normally during trade in they will ask the question if been in accident and you need to disclose ..sorry that happened and glad u are safe ...

I’m surprised the insurance is not looking at totaling as Not sure what estimate came in at ..also getting Tesla parts is hard ..if they have to pay storage fees etc that may pass the threshold for totaling ..that is best case scenario for you

Care to elaborate? Not sure what you mean.

It is fine, just very light red painting on its base. I thought you were joking when you said you are concerned about the pillar more than the car.
Your going to have an accident on the carfax report. Will hurt your trade in value. That’s what I mean by a dirty carfax.

And for the b pillar I’m referring to the dents on the bottom and misalignment of the rear door (at least that’s what the photos look like)

Pillars are expensive to repair/replace.