Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does autopilot know if I look down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the new autopilot update know if I'm not looking at the road or use my phone? Or even just looking at the GPS screen. I saw there is a camera on the top of the window where the mirror is. If I put tape over it will it disable the ability for autopilot to spy on me? Like how does it even know if I look away, it never did that before.

And the worst part is it can disable for an entire week and you can't just pull over the freeway and put the car in park. It was already annoying enough that autopilot had to force me to put into park rather than give a 10 minute time out.

If Tesla keeps nerfing autopilot can we request a refund because I feel Tesla is trying to act like a mean teacher who takes away your game boy if you dare play it in class. But you paid $6000 for something and they can still take it away from you like they are your parents who take away your video games.

• Disagree
Reactions: legendsk
There are two great mounts to hold your phone to the upper right or upper left of your center screen. Easy to access and see, not in the way or anything to fumble with

The Tesla doesn't consider this taking eyes off the road, because it's in the very bottom of your line of sight! So it's perfect for using for quick navigation or music changes

Besides, the one I use charges it back up via MagSafe.. great setup

The answer is: it looks at your head.

And eyes? If you keep your head facing forward but direct your gaze downward, does it know? I'll test that out on the next drive.

Personally, I'm very pleased that it checks for this. Humans are worse at multitasking than they realize, and I often get my attention captured when doing something on the car's display.

Here's a post that I wrote recently that lists the states tracked by the cabin camera and also includes links to a couple videos by greentheonly showing the state values versus various driver movements.

Here's the list of states:

BLINDED
DARK
EYES_CLOSED
EYES_DOWN
EYES_NOMINAL
EYES_UP
HEAD_DOWN
HEAD_TRUNC
LOOKING_LEFT
LOOKING_RIGHT
PHONE_USE
SUNGLASSES_EYES_LIKELY_NOMINAL
SUNGLASSES_LIKELY_EYES_DOWN.

Personally, I'm very pleased that it checks for this. Humans are worse at multitasking than they realize, and I often get my attention captured when doing something on the car's display.
Ironic, isn't it tho?

I usually use FSD for a few seconds when on a safe or easy road because I want a few seconds to do something else besides pay attention. I believe FSD is a safety feature for me for those moments; as it's better to look away from the road for 2-4 seconds with it on than without it.. but that may not be a common use case.

And after the recall, the additional nags are very annoying. Popping up a message on the screen and then nagging me to pay attention because I'm reading the nag is ridiculous. Meanwhile GM and Ford are hyping up their handsfree driving.
Yep. If you look through the recent threads here, you'll see that this has been discussed and ranted on ever since. I commented to let others know that this was the same recall that they've been hating on for the past six weeks..