Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my X today, built mid-June. The loaner we had for 24hrs had ghosting bad enough to be significantly annoying. Just finished 100mi on the new X tonight, ZERO ghosting.

Either they have started tightening up tolerances on the glass or I should go buy a powerball ticket.

My X100D was build mid May, delivery in factory at end of May. No ghosting whatsoever. And I do know exactly what to look for. Even very bright point sources of light have no reflections. I've changed my position up/down/left/right. No change. I cannot see any reflections. I don't understand this. If it is an intrinsic problem with the glass (thickness and angle related), every windshield should have it. If it has to do with coatings or multiple layers, why is there such a large difference between windshields?
I'm also very impressed with the IR rejection. Even in full sun, I barely feel the sun beating down on me. Much better than my previous Lexus RX.

My X100D was build mid May, delivery in factory at end of May. No ghosting whatsoever. And I do know exactly what to look for. Even very bright point sources of light have no reflections. I've changed my position up/down/left/right. No change. I cannot see any reflections. I don't understand this. If it is an intrinsic problem with the glass (thickness and angle related), every windshield should have it. If it has to do with coatings or multiple layers, why is there such a large difference between windshields?
I'm also very impressed with the IR rejection. Even in full sun, I barely feel the sun beating down on me. Much better than my previous Lexus RX.

It is not impossible Tesla could make a new revision / fix this at some point, of course.

I for one certainly can consider your data point (and I do). A later build in May possibly having a better revision and you saying you know the issue intimately, I mean it could fit a better unit...

Have you looked at oncoming headlights at night?

Have you seen the size of that windshield? Trying to sandwich multiple layers and at the same time trying to keep a constant uniform stress over the whole windshield throughout the process (especially while it cools) is a big challenge.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
It is not impossible Tesla could make a new revision / fix this at some point, of course.

I for one certainly can consider your data point (and I do). A later build in May possibly having a better revision and you saying you know the issue intimately, I mean it could fit a better unit...

Have you looked at oncoming headlights at night?
Oh yes. Those are ""very bright point sources" I mentioned
I know what a challenge it is to make those windshields. In a former job, I worked on uniformity control of the plastic layers in car safety glass.

• Informative
So after replacement my windshield is worse. Separation is about the same but brightness of rereflections is somewhat higher so I now see whole cars rereflections, not just bright sun reflection.

I wonder if we @Dirk you can see when was your windshield made (passenger side lower corner should have that though I am not sure how to interpret it.)
Here's a copy of my info for the new windshield (did not think about taking a picture of the original one and now it's too late.)
Would be interesting to see if there's a pattern of good and not so good parts wrt serial numbers.

Interesting that on the repair invoice the replacement windshield listed as qty 2 (consistent with SC report that the first replacement windshield was MUCH worse than the original one and them ordering a yet another one) but also bizzarely they list that the whole triple camera assembly was replaced too "ASY,HRN,MDLX,ALL,OHC,TRIPLE-CAM 1 (1082391-00-B)"

windshield.jpg

• Informative
I wish to change my vote!!

Very clear ghosting worse with multiple oncoming lights at night. Makes driving impossible.

Rear/tail lights all show ghosts.

Poor glass coupled with the high angle are leading to this.

They need to add anti-reflectivity to the glass to improve the prism refractivity issues!.

Only problem I have had so far, but it is a huge problem!!!!

So after replacement my windshield is worse. Separation is about the same but brightness of rereflections is somewhat higher so I now see whole cars rereflections, not just bright sun reflection.

I wonder if we @Dirk you can see when was your windshield made (passenger side lower corner should have that though I am not sure how to interpret it.)
Here's a copy of my info for the new windshield (did not think about taking a picture of the original one and now it's too late.)
Would be interesting to see if there's a pattern of good and not so good parts wrt serial numbers.

Interesting that on the repair invoice the replacement windshield listed as qty 2 (consistent with SC report that the first replacement windshield was MUCH worse than the original one and them ordering a yet another one) but also bizzarely they list that the whole triple camera assembly was replaced too "ASY,HRN,MDLX,ALL,OHC,TRIPLE-CAM 1 (1082391-00-B)"

View attachment 234731
This is the picture from my windshield:
IMG_2284.JPG
But I can't interpret that either.

• Informative
I got some prescription polarized sunglasses today. I don't usually use sunglasses, because it's a hassle to switch between regular glasses and sunglasses, but I decided it would be nice to have with the huge windscreen.

Well, I haven't tried them very much, but my initial impression is that it helped quite a lot with the ghosting. What would have been very apparent ghosting appeared more like a slight glare. I have asked the service center to take a look at the ghosting when they enable the high amperage charger that should have been activated when I got the car, but if they say it's normal, I think I'll be perfectly alright with just using sunglasses.