Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are Model S/X shipped to UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before the advent of the M3 in the UK the MS/X were built in Fremont then partially dismantled for shipping in containers to Tilburg where they were reassembled for onward transportation to UK, presumably for import tax reasons. Now that the M3’s are shipped from the States ready built to the UK are the S/X still containerised or do they also come ready built from Fremont?

I think they are already built and driven onto the ships like the Model 3s now.

Check out these photos from earlier this year, you can see some Model X:

SF-Pier_80_07-02-2019.jpg

SF-Pier_80_07-02-2019_3.jpg

I think they are already built and driven onto the ships like the Model 3s now.

Often when there are reports of loading at Pier 80 onlookers say they can see Model S and X as well as 3.

I think it makes sense for the past few quarters where deliveries have been strained but perhaps in the future if it still saves them money they will start doing it again but more GFs will reduce this need anyway.

I think I can answer my own question now! Just received an email telling me my X is “currently getting ready to make its way over to us here in the UK, we therefore have a collection date of Saturday 26th October .....”
Given the timing of the Grand Dahlia this would not be possible if the car was arriving by ship. Therefore it must have come over containerised for reassembly in Tilburg.
Tony

I think I can answer my own question now! Just received an email telling me my X is “currently getting ready to make its way over to us here in the UK, we therefore have a collection date of Saturday 26th October .....”
Given the timing of the Grand Dahlia this would not be possible if the car was arriving by ship. Therefore it must have come over containerised for reassembly in Tilburg.
Tony

Hope it goes well and don’t forget to post a pic - or it didn’t happen ;)

Reactions: Tonybvi
we therefore have a collection date of Saturday 26th October .....”

They used to ship them in containers from a Gulf port (Houston area I think) and then as already described reassemble them in Tilburg. What's troubling me is the transit time from Houston, reassembly in NL and then delivery to UK would mean it would have to be on a ship already. I therefore doubt it is coming that route.
I strongly suspect that your car is fully assembled and is on the Grand Dahlia which arrives in Zeebrugge on 25 Oct. Your car would then be loaded onto another ship heading for Grimsby
A delivery on late Saturday afternoon isn't totally out of the question, even to Edinburgh, but ......

What's troubling me is the transit time from Houston, reassembly in NL and then delivery to UK would mean it would have to be on a ship already. I therefore doubt it is coming that route.

I think the message means it’s ready to leave Tilburg. Admittedly a while back but the delivery date would only be confirmed once the car was on the way from or just about to leave Tilburg.

The transit route from Fremont to Tilburg and then the UK has been in operation for years, and whilst slow it is reliable. It also saves import duty which Tesla are obviously happy to swallow on the cheaper M3

I don’t see Tesla messing around with this process for the S & X - but then again they aren’t the most logical of operations half the time. o_O

They used to ship them in containers from a Gulf port (Houston area I think) and then as already described reassemble them in Tilburg. What's troubling me is the transit time from Houston, reassembly in NL and then delivery to UK would mean it would have to be on a ship already. I therefore doubt it is coming that route.
I strongly suspect that your car is fully assembled and is on the Grand Dahlia which arrives in Zeebrugge on 25 Oct. Your car would then be loaded onto another ship heading for Grimsby
A delivery on late Saturday afternoon isn't totally out of the question, even to Edinburgh, but ......

The delivery is scheduled for Saturday morning - if they stick to that then the car can’t be on the Dahlia. I’m certain they’re still using the Tilburg reassembly plant.