Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a DashCam option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spent the past few days researching dashcam options as well as local installers.

I think this video finally convinced me to go with the BlackVue 650 :

(Most people probably won't need to view their dashcam from their smartphone, but I do, so this one is perfect for me.)

I've had a very bad experience with the company that makes BlackVue. They made it virtually impossible to get warranty service, by not responding to the my messages. (Web form was the only contact method they provided.) So I must recommend against everything BlackVue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a very bad experience with the company that makes BlackVue. They made it virtually impossible to get warranty service, by not responding to the my messages. (Web form was the only contact method they provided.) So I must recommend against everything BlackVue.

I agree BlackVue's customer service is terrible, but they still have the best overall solution, imho. I'd love to give someone else my business.

I have definitely heard of people having problems with warranty issues, especially if you buy from an unauthorized distributor (so basically almost every online shop/ebay/amazon, etc). They have a list of official distributors here, I wonder if that would help: BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

I have definitely heard of people having problems with warranty issues, especially if you buy from an unauthorized distributor (so basically almost every online shop/ebay/amazon, etc). They have a list of official distributors here, I wonder if that would help: BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

I wouldn't buy a BlackVue again from any source. The company simply does not stand behind their products. And I don't know about their newer products, but the older DR400 is crap.

So what are you using?

I have to say other than a few quirks (GPS & Speed readings) my dr550gw front/back has been great and has exceptional quality. Here area couple of videos of a drive around Baltimore where two punks were playing chicken with cars. The videos are compressed and edited so the quality isn't as good as what I have in my phone. The fact I can wifi to the unit, download and edit video in seconds is key.

https://vimeo.com/115705621
https://vimeo.com/115705636

I wouldn't buy a BlackVue again from any source. The company simply does not stand behind their products. And I don't know about their newer products, but the older DR400 is crap.

I have heard that about the DR400 as well. Everything I've heard about the 650 is positive though. It probably helps that I don't live in a hot area and I have tinted windows, so I doubt overheating will be an issue (as many people have had).

Wish there were more options to choose from of dashcams that have:

* wi-fi
* smart phone integration
* excellent computer GUI for viewing recorded clips
* dual channel
* ability to view footage live offsite
* HD quality
* parking mode with motion sensor
* discreet
* GPS/speed sensor
* event detection/ protection of event clips (won't record over)
* set and forget / looped recording
* available in the US.
* SD card slot

There are very few like that at the moment, and the blackvue seemed the best option. Hopefully I don't have the problems you did! o_O; The website I'm buying it from has its own 1 year warranty, so hopefully I'll be ok.

(I bought it here: DR650GW-HD | 2 Channel 32GB Dash Camera by Blackvue )

Just installed the Blackvue DR650HD 2CH in my P85 over the holiday and here are my first impressions:

Good:
Low profile
Low Power consumption
Fair Video quality on front camera (1080P with 30 frames per second is false advertising - true 1080P video is filmed at 60 frames per second)
Like the wifi connectivity
Desktop Software is cool too.

Bad:
I Got the Power Magic Pro with the Blackvue- skip this - its a waste of money - and the one they shipped me failed in the first 24 hours. The Tesla doesn't need this due to the power management done by the DC to DC converter.
The rear camera is subpar 720P with 30 frames per second when moving looks like total crap- you won't capture license plates or anything of value
The wifi is spotty
The Blackvue GPS system doesn't work and I will be returning the unit to try another one (pain in the ass)
Be careful with the rear cable - mine broke during install and I had to spend another $27 to ship another one - so I could see the poor quality 720P / 30 Frames per second video! See video in link above - note you can't see the license plate and his GPS isn't working either (no MPH registering is a clue - unless he toggled it off)

recommend looking for a camera with true 1080P 60 frames per second and then buy two of those verse this low end system with quality issues. When you find one - let me know - this will be relegated to a tier 2 vehicle or returned.

Note on 1080P: In the United States, 1080p over-the-air broadcasts still do not exist as of December 2014; all major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. But at least its 60 Frames per second.

Last edited:
Just installed the Blackvue DR650HD 2CH in my P85 over the holiday and here are my first impressions:

Good:
Low profile
Low Power consumption
Fair Video quality on front camera (1080P with 30 frames per second is false advertising - true 1080P video is filmed at 60 frames per second)
Like the wifi connectivity
Desktop Software is cool too.

Bad:
I Got the Power Magic Pro with the Blackvue- skip this - its a waste of money - and the one they shipped me failed in the first 24 hours. The Tesla doesn't need this due to the power management done by the DC to DC converter.
The rear camera is subpar 720P with 30 frames per second when moving looks like total crap- you won't capture license plates or anything of value
The wifi is spotty
The Blackvue GPS system doesn't work and I will be returning the unit to try another one (pain in the ass)
Be careful with the rear cable - mine broke during install and I had to spend another $27 to ship another one - so I could see the poor quality 720P / 30 Frames per second video! See video in link above - note you can't see the license plate and his GPS isn't working either (no MPH registering is a clue - unless he toggled it off)

recommend looking for a camera with true 1080P 60 frames per second and then buy two of those verse this low end system with quality issues. When you find one - let me know - this will be relegated to a tier 2 vehicle or returned.

good to know! I got the power magic pro free as a holiday offer. I'm also getting it professionally installed so I assume they have everything they need already. (Thankfully, they've installed dashcams on Teslas before)

I'm also hesitant about the rear quality, do people ever get two 600s instead of the 650 combo?

"(1080P with 30 frames per second is false advertising - true 1080P video is filmed at 60 frames per second)" This is not true at all btw. 1080P only refers to the resolution. Higher framerate would help with seeing passing cars though.

Just for another point of reference.. I have the LUKAS 5900-DUO: LUKAS

I like it a lot. LUKAS has other two-channel cams, but they have LCD screens, which I didn't want due to their size.

And it fits pretty much most of the criteria for a good dashcam, set and forget, parking mode, GPS, etc. The only thing it's missing is Wi-Fi access, but I'm going to try using a Eye-Fi SD card in it shortly, or a similar SD card Amazon.com: Toshiba Flash Air II Wireless 32GB SDHC Memory Card (PFW032U-1BCW): Computers Accessories

So what are you using?

Still using the DR400, which I managed to fix myself. (Heat cause a residue to form on the inside of the lens. It just needed to be taken apart and cleaned.) It still has other problems, like the clock is often wrong. If I find a better non-BlackVue camera, I'll probably buy it. But I won't buy another BlackVue, no matter the quality of the product. I think the company just stinks. And feel everyone should know that before they buy one of these.

For nearly 2 years I've had the BlackVue DR500 & been quite happy.
Now, I'd like to install these in my 2 kids and my wife's (non-Tesla) cars.
Went with a $139 product that does not have GPS (could have added it for about $20) nor WiFi (I was reading that the Wifi enabled BlackVues had a not as clear picture (low bit rate) so that they could compress their data for WiFi streaming) and the picture is indeed superior and I decided to go with a dual channel. I know others who had problems with warranty service on their BlackVues, over and above those here on the forum so decided to go with a near-disposable product for more than half off the price of a BlackVue.
Blacksys-Car-Black-Box-CF-100-DVR-2ch-Full-HD-Sony-Sensor-HD-rear-camera-16GB (eBay link)

That being said, I'm thinking about buying another product for my 3rd car; just for comparison's sake!

I'm also looking for the potential to be able to view live views from my PC when the car is driving elsewhere. Ideas?
Still looking

you are correct 1080P is a reference to 1920 x 1080 - it does have that... The frame rate on tracking objects moving at high speed is what is lacking. I am not sure if it is the generic smart media card that causes the lag or just the slow frame rate.. either way it needs to be improved.

good to know! I got the power magic pro free as a holiday offer. I'm also getting it professionally installed so I assume they have everything they need already. (Thankfully, they've installed dashcams on Teslas before)

I'm also hesitant about the rear quality, do people ever get two 600s instead of the 650 combo?

"(1080P with 30 frames per second is false advertising - true 1080P video is filmed at 60 frames per second)" This is not true at all btw. 1080P only refers to the resolution. Higher framerate would help with seeing passing cars though.

Thanks for the info, I was able to install the DR550GW blackvue using the always on power from the microphone panel. I saw earlier post about the spare connector removed from newer cars, but I have the P85D and it has the connector!
Still need to route the rear camera cable though. The video quality looks pretty good, even though it is only 30fps. The GPS light never turned green.

btw, do you normally leave the front recording LED on or off? Is it better to give an indication that it is recording? or it is better to be stealth.

thanks!

I am looking for a camera that I can look at a live view from anywhere in the world... IE: I am in NY, and my car is in CA, I want ot be able to see what is happening by logging in with a smart phone/website. Does such a product exist?

I am looking for a camera that I can look at a live view from anywhere in the world... IE: I am in NY, and my car is in CA, I want ot be able to see what is happening by logging in with a smart phone/website. Does such a product exist?

I'm currently researching this. The Blackvue 650 may be able to do this. I thought I might have to have: [a smartphone (or laptop or tablet)] + [battery pack that could last a week], in the car on wi-fi at all times + [a livestream account], but now I'm not sure. (I would have done this without complaint if it was the only way) The Blackvue 650 and maybe a small handful of other dashcams may be able to just stream to any device without needing all that stuff.

My weird technique may still work for other dashcams though. (????) (the phone would need access to a constant wi-fi signal ---my city has Xfinity hotspots. You could do it over 3G but it would be expensive. Unless you just used it to check up on the car occasionally and not broadcast to you 24/7)

I'll know more in a week once I install the dashcam. (If someone else has actual experience doing this, please let us both know!)

I did just use Livestream for the first time today: used a basic webcam connected to a laptop and had it facing a moving object, then viewed the footage from my smartphone, far away. It worked super well, and it's totally FREE! (I compared 6 different streaming services, and Livestream is definitely the best for this type of purpose). You might not need Livestream at all though, if the camera can do it natively. Wish I knew more!

Thanks. Makes sense.
The rear camera is installed as well now. very easy just stick them along the edge of the headliner. the last bit on the hatch has to be taped with duct tape on the side such that the extra wire (has to have it so the trunk can open) does not stick out in the middle.
the video quality is pretty good to me... though the timestamp is not synced with GPS - seems to me.

Personal preference I would think. I wouldn't want potential thieves knowing they were being recorded or that there was a dashcam in my car, but that's me.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty dumb question, would a side view camera benefit at all - if such an option exists at all?
For parking lot door dings, doubt the front/back would capture the action. But then again, even if it was captured, almost impossible to prove whether the ding was indeed caused by someone....

I thought about getting two BlackVue 650's and using their low quality rear camera (720P) facing east / west and the 1080P cameras facing North (front) / South (rear). BlackVue has been problematic and the GPS is still not working after screwing around with it for a week now. I holding off for a better solution.

I leave my camera on all the time and leave the LED's active - I want people to know they are under surveillance just like on my home security system.

The BlackVue 650 can't stream without a wireless data plan connected device linked to it - limited to a very short range (30 feet). My home cameras do but the are all hardwired with PoE to the hub.