Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX showroom announced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to prove that the car had been registered in a different state to avoid the tax.

To elaborate, to avoid the Texas sales tax one would have to be a new resident, to have registered the car elsewhere before moving, and would have to pay an in lieu tax ($90 I think).

Some other states do let a resident avoid sales tax if the car is registered and used outside of the state for a specified period of time such as 90 days, 6 months, or a year, even if purchased while a resident.

Anyone know if they will let you sit in the Model S? I'd like to know how comfortable I'd be behind the wheel beforehand.

There was a Beta example there last weekend for the opening, but it has been replaced with prototype (on Sunday night or Monday, I think). The Beta was quite comfortable to sit in, but you cannot sit in the prototype.

The touch-screen display seems to be much better thought out than many of the other brand's central control screen. For instance, on some cars it takes as many as 10 steps to get from one type of function to another and back. For instance, if you start in SatNav mode and want to change the ratio channel, it appears to be much easier on the Model S.

As of Wednesday they also had a Roadster and a bare body and chassis of a Model S with the body raised several inches above the chassis so you can see the battery and motor layout quite easily.