Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotels near San Luis Obispo w/ charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to plan my trip from Fremont to San Diego, since I should be picking up my Model S in about a month. (My car will be 60kWh with dual chargers and supercharging.) I'm thinking about taking a nice leisurely drive down the coast over two days. San Luis Obispo seems like a good stopping point. Does anyone have suggestions of where I can stay and charge in the area?

Thanks!

I highly recommend the Granada Hotel and Bistro. Great because it is downtown San Luis Obispo where there is lots to see and do eat etc, and all in walking distance. About 2 blocks from my office and across the street from the Marsh street garage where there is 70 amp charging also. The garage says no overnight parking, but you are able. You will have an envelope on your windshield to pay parking.

http://granadahotelandbistro.com/experience/

1122 Morro Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
805-544-9100

- - - Updated - - -

Embassy suites is 30 amps (barely due to 208v) and you will need overnight + to fill an empty battery. Then you are away from downtown where all the good stuff is!!

I highly recommend the Granada Hotel and Bistro. Great because it is downtown San Luis Obispo where there is lots to see and do eat etc, and all in walking distance. About 2 blocks from my office and across the street from the Marsh street garage where there is 70 amp charging also. The garage says no overnight parking, but you are able. You will have an envelope on your windshield to pay parking.

http://granadahotelandbistro.com/experience/

1122 Morro Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
805-544-9100

- - - Updated - - -

Embassy suites is 30 amps (barely due to 208v) and you will need overnight + to fill an empty battery. Then you are away from downtown where all the good stuff is!!

Great tips, thanks! Are the connectors at your office and Marsh Street both J-1772? I notice that the Tesla Highway map says Marsh Street is "probably J1772".

Great tips, thanks! Are the connectors at your office and Marsh Street both J-1772? I notice that the Tesla Highway map says Marsh Street is "probably J1772".

All are J1772. I have a roadster connector at my house as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, any TMC members that arrive at my office during office hours are able to charge for free. Ask at the front desk.

- - - Updated - - -

Marsh street garage has two clipper creek charging stations. One is 30 amp and the other is 70. I forget which is the 70 amp one!

All are J1772. I have a roadster connector at my house as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, any TMC members that arrive at my office during office hours are able to charge for free. Ask at the front desk.

- - - Updated - - -

Marsh street garage has two clipper creek charging stations. One is 30 amp and the other is 70. I forget which is the 70 amp one!

Assume a 70amp station with a J1772 plug can be used on a Tesla S with one charger. Will only charge at 40amps, correct?

Marsh St Garage is J1772 70A/208V. Garage attendant told me 1) overnight parking would be a $7.50 fee; and there is also a 70A in the metered parking area - I haven't checked it out.

Lloyds is J1772 70A/240V.

I stayed at Granada Hotel & Bistro a month ago and enjoyed it -- real convenient to Marsh Garage.

Assume a 70amp station with a J1772 plug can be used on a Tesla S with one charger. Will only charge at 40amps, correct?

Correct.

Congrats, Mark. When is the big day? We stayed at the Embassy Suites in SLO, and had no problem getting a full range charge in the 10 hours we were there, but I'll defer to Llyod for his recommendation. We arrived late and left early, and didn't spend any time in town, but good to know about the other options for the future.

Correct.

Congrats, Mark. When is the big day? We stayed at the Embassy Suites in SLO, and had no problem getting a full range charge in the 10 hours we were there, but I'll defer to Llyod for his recommendation. We arrived late and left early, and didn't spend any time in town, but good to know about the other options for the future.

I only have a delivery range at this point: 1/27-2/10. But I want to have all my research done when I get the call.

Looks like I'll be in SLO on February 2nd. I tried to book at the Granada, but was told I could not check in on that day. Huh? So I booked at Quality Suites, since it was well reviewed on TripAdvisor. It's further from downtown, but it looks walkable.

Lloyd, is the EVSE at your office accessible after hours? It's highly likely I will arrive after business hours. I'll probably try to use the garage, but it's nice to have a backup plan.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, just realized you probably don't do business on Saturday, anyway.

Looks like I'll be in SLO on February 2nd. I tried to book at the Granada, but was told I could not check in on that day. Huh? So I booked at Quality Suites, since it was well reviewed on TripAdvisor. It's further from downtown, but it looks walkable.

Lloyd, is the EVSE at your office accessible after hours? It's highly likely I will arrive after business hours. I'll probably try to use the garage, but it's nice to have a backup plan.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, just realized you probably don't do business on Saturday, anyway.

Yes it is available after hours, pay by credit card. 2.5 blocks away is the Marsh street garage which is free, except you have to pay for parking $.75 per hour. If you park overnight they will charge you two days $15

Anyone here have advice on driving from the factory to LA on a 40kw?

Do you have twin chargers? If so, stick to 101, because there are a bunch of 70A HPCs along the way. (My understanding is most have been converted from Roadster connectors to J connectors.) You can use them even if you don't have twin chargers, but the route matters less because there are more options available if you don't need to charge fast.

So the trip was successful. Everything went pretty much to plan. The exception was there was already a Model S plugged into the 70 amp EVSE in the Marsh Street garage. The security guard said it had been there since he got there at noon, so it had been plugged in at least 9 hours. So I unplugged it and left a note with my phone number. (While doing this, another Model S arrived, driven by a local. He wasn't looking to charge, fortunately.) When I got back in the morning, the first S was still there, so I took my note back and plugged it back in. Hope that is acceptable etiquette. It would be nice if the charge indicator on the car didn't turn off when the car is locked.