Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in the M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first born was gradutating from UC Santa Cruz on Father's Day so we decided to take the Tesla for it's first road trip...

Besides the two phantom braking incidents, it was a great trip....two different stops on way up that only took about 30 minutes at the most...but t's a scam, the. money you save on gas you end up spending on food and starbucks lol

The hassle of road tripping a Tesla is far overrated by the haters as it was well worth the gas savings for a few extra minutes to stretch the legs...on the way home we stopped at a charging station near the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo and walked over to check it out...wow!! talk about a time warp and something cool we never would have bothered to check out had we been in one of our gas cars....If you are ever in the area, check that place out, it is a trip

That phantom braking though was dangerous and could cause road rage incidents these days with all the a-holes on the road....very annoying as it seems to pick up on different colored asphalt or shadows as road debris or something...they need to fix that *sugar* asap.

I have taken several stops and, initially, I was going to just accept that the "gassing" up was going to take longer and that comes with driving an EV. In all reality it is not that much different.
I realized that when I drove my Silverado I could pull up to a dino juice dispenser and fill up the tank rather quickly. maybe 5-6 minutes from start to finish. I always moved my truck to the front of the gas station to then use the potty, take out the trash in the truck, grab snacks, stretch a little. then head back out. In total it was 20 mins or more total. I could have made it a 10 min or less event but I didnt. I never did.
Now I back up to the charger, plug in, and do the same as before. I get the notification that I have enough charge to reach the next destination before i am actually ready to go so I end up "overcharging".
Not to mention that if I need to make a stop for food of bathroom that does not fall into the pre-planned charging stops I just add another supercharging stop (assuming we can wait that long) and take care of business.