Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible experience picking up my THIRD S car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was an early adopter. I recently ordered my third Tesla S. It was supposed to be picked up yesterday in West Palm Beach. Yesterday morning, when I went to sign the lease papers online, I noticed that the miles shown were 89. I had previously read that Tesla usually just puts down 50 miles automatically when registering the car. I called the local store; first they said it was 89 km; I said how could that be, then they said they had no idea why the car had 89 miles. I asked if it was a car returned by a purchaser; they put on the sales manager who said he didn't know who or how the miles were put on it, maybe it was a demo, and that Tesla had reduced the price by $600 as a result; he said just to tell him if I didn't want the car, providing no alternative to me. I had no choice but to come in, as I now had no car (having returned my prior S the week before). When I got there, someone was putting a temporary tag on a car that looked like my new one; when my friend asked the employee, the employee said no, it was not my new car, but rather a "used car." Inside, they said it was, in fact, my new car. We went back outside and started doing the usual detailed inspection, just like another car next to it that two people were pouring over with an employee, taking pictures of defects. We started doing the same, when the sales manager came out and said, don't bother doing that, because we won't fix anything that is cosmetic or related to non-mechanical defects, scratches, etc. We had just noticed a deep scratch on one panel; he said even that was our problem and not theirs. i was shocked to say the least. I told him on principal I didn't want the car and didn't want to be treated like that. My salesman online in California never told me that the car was a demo or similar, and that I would lose those type of inspection and repair rights. We went back in to look at inventory, and, of course, there was nothing similar available. I finally said, OK, after over an hour of my valuable time wasted I would have no choice but to take the car. My friend said to him, at least fix the scratch. He finally said OK, like he was very reluctantly doing me the biggest favor in the world. As a final insult, I asked if they could take off the front license plate holder which apparently had hidden screws behind it, when they put on my old plate, since in Florida there are no front licenses. He said sure, but you have to schedule with Service and it will cost you $25. This is hardly the type of welcome a luxury car brand should be offering its clients. I appreciate that the plan is to make this a mass market car company, but Mercedes/Jag/BMW/Audi still treat their customers better that this, with respect, from past experience. There was one junior female employee who seemed sympathetic to my pain, but she had no power to resolve anything.

Tesla is such a collection of contradictory issues. I just don't understand how they can be so attentive to design details, technical issues, forward thinking out of the box invention, then repeatedly shoot itself in the foot with crap like this. Do GM and Ford have sleepers in the Tesla system?

I love my cars. I truly do. But when I see PR disasters such as yours, I shake my head inwardly (Don't try it, it hurts like Hell).

They've forced me to physically modify my car when I would gladly pay a few bucks to have existing items enabled. They left money on the table.

And now, to crap on a repeat customer such as you is just so wrong in so many ways. If I heard of anyone on my staff dealing with a huge $$$ customer in this manner, I would have his balls on toast forthwith. There is no way that Tesla's margins are so tight.

"Sorry about the hassle - tell you what - here's $600 off for the mileage error, we'll fix the scratch, and here's 3 months of free Supercharging for your friendship". And you walk away to tell others how happy you are.

At Texas A&M the proprietor of a local book store would say, if he found one of your trade in textbooks was of no use, outdated, whatever, "Son, I can't use that book, but here's a dollar for your friendship!". Good ol' J.E. Loupot bought a lot of repeat business for a few paltry bucks, even in the 60s when a dollar was a dollar.

Last edited:
I wish someone would chime in on how SC are compensated by Tesla for delivery and prep of vehicles. I'm thinking it must be very low as there are so many issues related to delivery that should be picked up and fixed by a proper delivery inspection. So they don't do anything prior and make the customer open service requests so they then can be compensated by Tesla. Basically a piecework system.
Sorry about your experience btw.

Reactions: drdumont
I wish someone would chime in on how SC are compensated by Tesla for delivery and prep of vehicles. I'm thinking it must be very low as there are so many issues related to delivery that should be picked up and fixed by a proper delivery inspection. So they don't do anything prior and make the customer open service requests so they then can be compensated by Tesla. Basically a piecework system.
Sorry about your experience btw.

They're not compensated for prep and delivery. Tesla owns the stores/service centers. They pay the employees and they got rid of commission last year. The employees don't have much incentive to do more than the bare minimum to keep their job.

Reactions: VikH
As a final insult, I asked if they could take off the front license plate holder which apparently had hidden screws behind it, when they put on my old plate, since in Florida there are no front licenses. He said sure, but you have to schedule with Service and it will cost you $25. .

At my delivery appointment, I was told they cannot legally remove it as it is included when crash tested, which both sounded legit and BS at the same time, but nonetheless my detailer removed it when I took the vehicle for a ceramic coating. I am with you in saying Tesla customer service is hit or miss.

• Funny
Reactions: Needsdecaf
At my delivery appointment, I was told they cannot legally remove it as it is included when crash tested,

Did he think you had just healed the bruises from when you fell off the ICE powered turnip truck?

I fear I would have guffawed directly in his face, mask or no. This guy MUST have previously been a Ford dealership service manager.

I asked if they could take off the front license plate holder which apparently had hidden screws behind it, when they put on my old plate, since in Florida there are no front licenses. He said sure, but you have to schedule with Service and it will cost you $25.
To be fair, this is not unreasonable. The license-plate holders are a pain in the ass to remove (because of the adhesive) and will take you at least 15 minutes to remove it (even if you already have the custom tool required) and the adhesive.

I asked to have my front plate holder removed and was told the same thing (crash test issue) ... I was going to remove it myself, but decided to install a decorative front plate instead (for an organization I belong to). I also concur about the customer service being a bit hit or miss (some really good; some less so) - however, the remote tech that services my area is great!

I see plenty of them in PA without a front plate holder. Socket, fishing line, Goo-Gone and some time should be all it takes.
I got lucky, my car (used 2015) didn't come with one attached, so no holes in the nose cone. The facelift plate holder is a cleaner design, no drilling into the bumper.

Reactions: drdumont
Thats still almost better than my delivery.
two weeks ago i took delivery in the pouring rain. I asked the delivery to dry it off so I can inspect it before signing. He said he cant because he doesnt want to risk scratching the paint.I said I cant see anything, its parked in the corner with no light, pull it out or is there a risk of getting a flat? He at least did that'd I told him I was going straight home to dry it. Sure enough the front hood looked like the paint wasn't dry and someone tried to close the frunk. I tried calling of coarse no answer and drove right back, 4 miles from home. I have put 140 miles on it since I took it, 130 are to the repair shop and home. Finally finished and picking up tomorrow. The only good thing about it is the repair shop is the best around and I'm sure the paint will be better than factory, no joking there.

I guess I have been spoiled over the years( I am soon to be 78) being able to buy Mercedes,BMW,and Audi's. I have never experienced
anything that comes close to the experience I had when I took delivery of my 2021 Model S last week. I felt like I was at a yard sale and was
bothering the home owner when I asked questions. Totally unorganized and could not get rid me fast enough they told me they were extremely busy. Left after I signed the papers and paid for the car. I had a message flashing on the screen that no key could be found.
Ate lunch and went shopping opened the hatch lid to put packages in and when I tried to close it kept going back up and down. Finally
manually closed it went back to the service department and of course I got questioned if I had an appointment and since at my age I have no filters left I went off on them they went and got the Girl that handle my paper work. She got the service manager and he said we will take care of the problems. They had given me the key fobs for another car so that was solved and adjusted the hatch lid. When I got home
45 miles away I opened the hatch and it would not closed. Called and talked to the Girl she put me on on hold for about 15 minutes then
came back and said they were going to send a Ranger to my home on Monday tried to call all week no one answered . I hope this is not the norm but from reading on here it is.

The issue with the Service Centers is that there are apparently no measurable standards that employees need to follow. I’ve had good luck two-out-of-three times I’ve taken my X in for service. But that one time was really bad, and I left completely enraged. The “manager” at Syosset was lying through his teeth, calling a control arm failure at 40k miles a “wear and tear item.” It wasted my entire day because I refused to fork over $700 for something that I knew was a known defect. I took it to the Brooklyn location where they were incredibly charming and took care of it under warranty/TSB, no problem. There are too many examples of “within spec” “wear and tear” stories, as if each manager is on their own to come up with an excuse to avoid doing their job. Some of these excuses are truly absurd and there’s often no recourse. It’s obvious that some of these employees don’t know what they’re doing and haven’t been trained and coached properly. Depending on the laws in your area, I recommend recording conversations with SC staff so that you can escalate the issue if necessary. I did this with my Range Rover, and it’s the only reason they agreed to buy it back as a lemon.

Reactions: InternetDude
My Tesla Service Center experiences have been perfect. I had problems with MB and BMW service.
I have bought 6 new Teslas in the last 4 years, plus 3 BMW’s and 2 Mercedes over the last 6 years. The BMW and Mercedes delivery’s were perfect and the Tesla delivery’s have been a joke to be polite. During one Tesla delivery this past year I was told that a scratched up under bumper valance was normal wear and tear! The car was new and just came off the delivery truck a day or two before straight from the factory. When I complained that I wanted it replaced they said if I don’t want the car someone else would take it because the red and white combo is rare and not readily available. What difference does it make if a car is in demand to give them the right to give a BS line that a brand new car can have normal wear and tear. I just rejected a new Tesla delivery last week because they decided not to wash or prep my new car for delivery and offered to set up an appointment at their convenience to prep it after the new year. I know from experience that Tesla May or may not fix noted items at delivery because after you except the car they hold all the cards and often say they can’t replicate the problem or damages and misfits or rattles are within Tesla standards.