Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding about the single phase input limitation from public chargers is that it will be fixed by changing the "junction box" in the car. As it is, this limitation does not present itself when the Mobile Connector is used because it puts the same single phase power in parallel to all three charger inputs at the vehicle inlet. So, a 32A blue socket going through the Mobile Connector will allow each "phase" of the on-board charger to pull 10.66A. When you use a public station, the single phase power is only present on one pin of the vehicle inlet. The current EU cars can only drive one phase of the on-board charger, so the absolute max is 16A with a single charger and 32A with dual chargers. Well, actually it's currently 13A and 26A per phase due to a sudden firmware change in the interest of "safety". My speculation is that the new junction box will allow the car to do the single phase "paralleling" between the vehicle inlet and the chargers. This "bug" is apparently another result of Tesla's incomplete understanding of 3-phase and EV infrastructure in Europe. I expect that the new junction boxes were designed and produced before staring RHD production. Hopefully HK, UK, and Japan owners will never see this problem. Junction box retrofits have already been promised for all affected EU cars.

I spoke to Tesla today and they said they have changed the charging as follows. Each owner will be supplied with a wall unit with a thermal cutout switch to eliminate the problem if 13A plugs melting. This will replace a wall socket and will be rated up to 32A. It will definitely do single phase and they don't know if it will do 3 phase as yet.

I suspect that's what Linda wants to tell me (still scheduling the call with her). Will installation costs be included?
On 32A, I have a socket at my parking space that is rated for 13A. Will it automatically become 32A once the wall unit is installed? Or is there wiring behind the socket that needs to be changed to make it 32A?

No the power to the socket needs to be 32A. I understood that it has the capability to handle up to 32A, so realistically it will handle 13 or 32A and the purpose seemed to be to protect against 13A overheating. I doubt they will pay to install it but I guess you can ask Linda.

They still are unable to comment on a final decision about the single or 3 phase issues.

I suspect that's what Linda wants to tell me (still scheduling the call with her). Will installation costs be included?
On 32A, I have a socket at my parking space that is rated for 13A. Will it automatically become 32A once the wall unit is installed? Or is there wiring behind the socket that needs to be changed to make it 32A?

Nothing has been formally announced yet, but they have had discussions with some owners, and are finalizing the information now. From my understanding, the wall unit to be provided will have an adjustable current limit, low-amps up to 32A, so you will be able to use your existing 13A wiring. For those with a wall to install it on, it should provide a superior experience to a socket in the wall and mobile charger.

So I've scheduled my call with Linda for Thursday evening.
What questions should I ask? What would all of you like to know?
For me, the big questions are:
1. Will installation costs be included?
2. What are the requirements for the wall unit?
3. What should I tell the electrician to prepare for?

I doubt you will see too many mall owners buying anything from Tesla any time soon. The best we can hope for is that Tesla do a deal to put some superchargers in malls that would be willing to have them for free. Most malls are packed with customers, they will spend money on other things to get even more packed in the shops.

The best thing we can do is to get out and about so people see and find out about Model S. The best thing Tesla could do is to get on with the Model E...

It would make more sense for the malls to install brand independent fast chargers. Please don't forget there is not only Tesla. The BMW i3 is coming to HK as well and from what I heard, sales is good here too. Hopefully the eGolf and the Fiat 500e will come to HK too.
At least the IFC mall has 2 32amp 1phase chargers in place already.

So I've spoken with Linda. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed, because it does mean I need to spend another HK$20-30K (Linda's estimate based on some quotes she's seen). I already have the luxury of not needing to deal with an Incorporated Owners' Committee etc. But still, the extra cost and hassle of explaining to an electrician are not what I was expecting. I had asked twice -- once at the test drive a year ago, and another time when I met with Linda when she was here -- whether the existing 13A socket near my parking space would work and both times I was told yes.

Anyway, Linda says the installation guide and "formal" explanation for the change to a wall unit will be sent over the next few days (over the weekend, I'm told). Single phase only. Up to 40A. The car will no longer come with the mobile connector. She advises me to hang tight and wait for the installation guide before talking to any electrician.

BTW, this latest revelation isn't enough to dampen my excitement for the car, i.e. I'm still going to get it. But still, it must hamper broad proliferation of EVs among the general public. It's much harder to retrofit chargers/wiring etc. in the thousands of buildings in Hong Kong -- surely it would be easier to do something on the car side?

AppleFan

Vmax, you are correct. That's what I have near my parking space -- a Clipsal 250V 13A BS1363 socket. When I did the test drive with Kenneth last year, he showed me the mobile connector and said it would come with the car, so I can just plug into any household socket. When I met Linda when she was in Hong Kong, she said that was what the car in the showroom was plugged into. She told me last night it will no longer work as is, because the car will no longer come with the mobile connector.
I asked about public charging, and she couldn't be committal there either -- she said they are still working with CLP and HK Electric on a permanent solution. But basically, Tesla will no longer support plugging the car into the wall as is because such sockets are not made for the big power load of an EV.

I understand it's a safety issue, and I understand Tesla doesn't want to be held liable for something they can't control (sockets), but still, I'm concerned the regular Joe Bloggs would not want to install a charger when buying an EV, so it must hurt proliferation of EVs until this can be "fixed" i.e. cars can be plugged into a regular socket.

AppleFan