Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honda Rolls Out 50-MPG Hybrid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Design News - Honda Rolls Out 50-MPG Hybrid

The auto industry took another small step up in its long climb to a 54.5 mile-per-gallon average this week, as Honda Motor Co. officially rolled out a 50-mpg hybrid version of one of the country's best-selling cars.

The long-awaited 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid will use a gasoline-electric powertrain to reach an EPA rating of 50 mpg city, 45 highway, and 47 combined. That puts it ahead of competing midsize hybrids, such as the Ford Fusion, Toyota Camry, and Hyundai Sonata, but still behind the Toyota Prius, which gets 51 mpg in the city.

Honda reached the 50-mpg milestone with a clever combination of all-electric, hybrid, and engine-only driving modes.

All-electric. In this mode, the Accord's 124-kW electric traction motor turns the wheels, drawing power from a 1.3-kWh lithium-ion battery for the first few miles.

Hybrid. When the battery is quickly depleted, the Accord kicks into series hybrid mode, using its gasoline engine to power a generator, which feeds current to the electric motor to drive the wheels.

Engine-only. At approximately 40 mph, the unique aspect of the powertrain shows itself. Then, the electric motor is decoupled, and a clutch engages the crankshaft of the two-liter gasoline engine. In this "direct-drive" mode, the car uses only its engine for power.

"The manufacturers are starting to make their bets," Koslowski said. "And the hybrid is certainly a much safer bet for mainstream automakers than a fully electric vehicle."

The auto industry took another small step up in its long climb to a 54.5 mile-per-gallon average this week, as Honda Motor Co. officially rolled out a 50-mpg hybrid version of one of the country's best-selling cars.
This incorrectly implies that EPA estimates are the same as the 54.5 CAFE mpg. These are calculated differently. The 54.5 mpg CAFE target implies an EPA estimate of around 40 mpg.

- - - Updated - - -

never like this hybrid game... release full ev or natural gas or something i.e. one thing don't combine because it is not cheap maintenance and not lot of fun driving (subjective)
I assume you dislike plugin hybrids as well? I've performed all scheduled maintenance on my 2011 Volt which has consisted of a single $35 oil change after almost 3 years of driving a total of 60,000 miles (40,000 EV). My next oil change will be at the 4 year mark at around 80,000 miles and will also include changing a $10 engine air filter. Other than that, all I've done is tire rotations and a new set of tires at the 57,000 mile mark.

I love the idea of an Accord Hybrid in terms of getting mass acceptance of hybrids and reducing the amount of pollution and oil dependence since the Accord is a very popular auto. That being said, a BEV or natural gas auto can almost eliminate our need for foreign oil (still have those pesky lubricants we will need in the transmissions, crankcases, etc. of the Natural gas cars). I do agree to complexity of that driveline does concern me long term. BEV haters always harp on the battery and it's implications when it's time to replace (both cost and possible issues with what it does to the environment), but with a hybrid you have not only that concern, but also the oil, filters, etc. to deal with and the wear and tear on the conventional ICE drivetrain. Can you imagine the bill for the poor sucker who needs a new battery, and a transmission or engine overhaul within a few months of each other 10-15 years down the road? It will be a throwaway product.

I heard about the plug in accord about a year ago. Made a point of finding it at the NY auto show in April as a possible car to lease until G3 comes out.

Dropped that idea. This car has the trunk space of a Roadster. For some that may not be an issue, but for many it will be a real liability.

I assume you dislike plugin hybrids as well? I've performed all scheduled maintenance on my 2011 Volt which has consisted of a single $35 oil change after almost 3 years of driving a total of 60,000 miles (40,000 EV). My next oil change will be at the 4 year mark at around 80,000 miles and will also include changing a $10 engine air filter. Other than that, all I've done is tire rotations and a new set of tires at the 57,000 mile mark.

The Volt is bulletproof.