Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Works When It Wants Too!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the latest software update that allowed our cars to open and close garage doors and security gates, I have found that the software works when it wants to! I reprogrammed the Homelink in the Tesla to include auto open on arrival and auto close on departure. The first time I tried it, it worked fine. The next day and every day thereafter, the software auto closed the door on departure only two times. Is anyone else having the same problem? If your software is working properly would you list a sequence that you use upon getting in the car prior to departure from home?

Mine has worked every single time since the update except for once, on open, when I think I may have pulled up too fast. At least faster than I usually do. I have to go around a group of trees in a circle on my dead end street and then back in. One day I whipped around them pretty quickly, which I rarely do. That was the one time. Otherwise, perfect and I love it.

It's the little things in life...

Mine works great. The transmit signal is strongest when the front of the car faces the garage.....could be a weak signal if the car is perpendicular to the garage. Watch the countdown timer on the homelink window and see when it is triggering the opener. Could be to far away from the door. You could also delete all links and pair the transmitter again.

Mine works great. The transmit signal is strongest when the front of the car faces the garage.....could be a weak signal if the car is perpendicular to the garage. Watch the countdown timer on the homelink window and see when it is triggering the opener. Could be to far away from the door. You could also delete all links and pair the transmitter again.
I've tried this. I will delete the unused door from the Homelink program and see if this solves my issue.

Homelink continues to work fine for me with 7.1 (as long as I don't use it with Summon*). Both of my old Chamberlain rolling-code garage openers were programmed into my MS back in 6.2 days after I took delivery, with my MS parked in the driveway approx 10' in front of each door. I've done no reprogramming since.

Manual use of Homelink to open or close the door by touching the 17" has worked through each software release.

I checked auto-open and auto-close for my one garage door when 7.1 was delivered. My other door has nothing checked. I now regularly press either my manual garage door opener or press the Homelink button on the 17" as I get into my parked MS. I back-out and as I'm exiting, the countdown appears and my door always closes about 20' away. When I return, the countdown appears while I'm pulling up to my driveway and my door opens about 20' away. I pull into my garage, park, and either press the Homelink button on the 17" or use my manual garage door opener button to close it. I've had zero failures (as long as I don't use Summon*) since 7.1 was introduced, and can mix-or-match how I open and close the garage door both before I back out my MS or after it's parked. Homelink "auto" takes care of the door as it should in-between.

* Summon causes the wrong door to open (that does not have either auto-open/close button checked). I reported that scenario in one of the other Summon threads a couple weeks ago.

I have a flaky garage door so I'm scared to use auto-close. I want my car to be far away from the door before putting the door in motion. I use auto-open, though, and it works flawlessly. I get a countdown in 10-foot increments as I approach my home and the door has just finished opening by the time I turn into my driveway.

After the latest software update that allowed our cars to open and close garage doors and security gates, I have found that the software works when it wants to! I reprogrammed the Homelink in the Tesla to include auto open on arrival and auto close on departure. The first time I tried it, it worked fine. The next day and every day thereafter, the software auto closed the door on departure only two times. [...]
This is same as my observation - Auto-Homelink for me continues to be very unpredictable. Since I updated to 7.1 two weeks ago up until a couple days ago, auto-open worked every time yet auto-close worked on exactly 3 attempts in that period. In that period I tried resetting my location several times, reprogrammed Homelink, and tried the various suggestions in the other Auto-Homelink issues thread - nothing would guarantee auto-close to work. So basically I chalked it up to flakey software and hope there will be an update.

Then a couple days ago when I returned home auto-open didn't work! My operating routine has not changed in 2 weeks (e.g. always open the garage w/ wall switch, etc as per other thread). Then yesterday auto-close worked when I left the house! and auto-open then worked when I returned home last night. Who knows what will happen next...

In all the cases where auto-homelink didn't work, the regular manually operated Homelink button appeared as I neared my house or got into the car in the garage, but the Auto dropdown "in 5m" with option to skip did not appear as it should. So the basic manually operated Homelink works just fine.

It works for me now but it did seem like I needed to get in-sync since the car doesn't know the current status of the garage. After the update I did need to remove and re-add my homelinks and reset their locations but now it seems ok.

My sequence is this...

1) Get in the car and open the garage from the homelink button
2) Auto Close, closes the garage when I get 10-20 ft out of the door
3) When I return the countdown starts about 50ft away and auto opens the door about 20ft away.

This is what works for me but it gets out of sync very easy if I open the garage door from the button on the wall or via a remote. I think the car needs to be the only thing in charge of opening and closing the door otherwise the auto features seem to be a little unpredictable in my experience.

This is what works for me but it gets out of sync very easy if I open the garage door from the button on the wall or via a remote. I think the car needs to be the only thing in charge of opening and closing the door otherwise the auto features seem to be a little unpredictable in my experience.
There is no consensus on how to make auto-close work consistently. I use the wall button and it works for me every time.

My auto-open works every time. Auto close is sporadic.

I haven't played around too much but I am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I close the garage door once my car is in by using the home link button rather than the button on my wall outside the car. In the morning, I open the garage with the button on the wall as I walk in. I'm guessing the car thinks the door is closed so it doesn't try to auto close when I leave.

Anyway - can't really figure it out and auto open is much more important to me and so far works perfectly.

I haven't had this at all. I can manually open from the garage button, get in, leave, and it closes. I can also use the dash button to open before leaving. It then reopens when I come back. When coming home, I always manually close the door, after it auto opens it. Opens and closes at about the same place every time. About 20-30 ft from the receiver antenna, I think. Counts down when I am about 40ft when coming home and almost immediately after I pull the rear of the car past the door when leaving. I'm surprised at how well it works (should NOT have said that!). I wonder if there are spurious RF signals near those having problems. I only have one garage door and no gate.

It works for me now but it did seem like I needed to get in-sync since the car doesn't know the current status of the garage. After the update I did need to remove and re-add my homelinks and reset their locations but now it seems ok.

My sequence is this...

1) Get in the car and open the garage from the homelink button
2) Auto Close, closes the garage when I get 10-20 ft out of the door
3) When I return the countdown starts about 50ft away and auto opens the door about 20ft away.

Auto-open works for me, and I'll probably leave it on. I did realize there are times in which I don't want the garage door to auto-open when I pull in. Like when a neighbors cat is next to the door. Or when I'm driving back to my house to see if I remembered to close my garage door.

Auto-close didn't work consistently enough to trust. I really, really do not want the car to close the door on itself. I know it's programmed to wait 20 ft or so from the programmed spot, but I still don't trust it.

I noticed a bug in the homelink program. I have three doors. I have the 2nd one programmed to open and close. It opens fine. Closes most of the time. When it does close, the display shows the third door transmitting even though the 2nd door is closing.

Auto close works about 10% for me. It isn't that the homelink fails, it just doesn't recognise that it is in the right GPS region to activate. Maybe I get into reverse before GPS initializes or something.
When autoclose does work it does so while I am still backing out of the garage... Way too soon.

Auto open is better... Works about 60% both on my gate and on the garage. The problem here is that it tries to open it about 50 meters away and if I'm not driving fast enough then it stops trying to open it before I get in range. I've tried resetting location right in front of the gate and door but it didn't help.