Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Doesn't Work with Analog (dipstick) Opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Homelink Doesn't Work with Analog (dip switch) Opener?

I have been struggling to set-up my Homelink in my P85 and finally brought it up to my Service Center when calling to schedule a service. The gentleman on the phone said that the issue is likely that my gate opener is analog (it uses dipsticks) and Homelink is not compatible with that. He advised that I purchase a Universal Remote and use that to program Homelink. Has anyone had any luck doing that? Any particular brand universal remote? My gate was installed in 1997 and is manufactured by All-O-Matic, not a big name company or at least not one I see in the instructions for many universal remotes.

Last edited:
Ok, that title was confusing for a second.

I assume you've contacted All-O-Matic about this?

Maybe you can use one of these kits?

Sorry about that. Ha! Damn autocorrect changed Homelink to Homeland. I did call Auto-O-Matic and the guy I spoke to was clueless. The one thing I gathered from it is that Linear must make the multi-code or the receiver that Auto-O-Matic uses...so, I am going to try a universal remote and use the programming instructions for a Linear garage. Crossing my fingers.

...the issue is likely that my gate opener is analog (it uses dipsticks) and Homelink is not compatible with that.

Just as a FYI, they are called dip switches

I have the same issue, the garage door at work uses multi-code openers that when you look inside the remote it is all dip switches that match the combination on the opener. No luck in getting it to program correctly and can't install another system as the building controls it.

Until they upgrade their system, I'm stuck with the brick of a transmitter in the car.

I have the same issue, the garage door at work uses multi-code openers that when you look inside the remote it is all dip switches that match the combination on the opener. No luck in getting it to program correctly and can't install another system as the building controls it.

Until they upgrade their system, I'm stuck with the brick of a transmitter in the car.

My gate remote uses the old dip-switch style remotes and they work fine on my homelink?

The Service Center said the work around is to get a Universal Remote and then use that to program Homelink. I am going to try that today and I will let you know if it works.

Some garage door openers use a set of rolling frequencies, that set of which is defined by the dip switches, and also have small "programming" button on the garage door opener itself that you have to enable in order to program homelink.

Mine is like this, and it's vintage 1999-2000 or so...

I have one rolling code garage door opening that needs to be programmed for each remote. Works fine on the Tesla and the one replacement remote I bought. I programmed the Tesla and then hit learn on the opener.

I also have a Gate Master garage door opener that uses dip switches in the remote and there is no programming button on the opener. This programs just fine in the Tesla and is the one I program the loaners to use since the other one has a max # of remotes it can remember before I have to reset the whole thing.

I can confirm the old style dip-switch remotes do work with Homelink. But sometimes the "learning" process is very finicky. I recall I had to have the old clicker pointed at a very specific spot on the car in order for the learning to complete.

I just can't remember what the magic position was, sorry. I was ready to give up at one point, then it "took".

I was on the phone with Tesla Service who had me call Homelink to see if my gate was compatible. They said it was and I was on the phone with them for an hour with no luck. Replace the battery, opened the frunk, tried from in front of the bumper near the passenger side, tried in side the car near the drivers side speaker, tried everything. No luck. Trying one more thing...buying a new remote. If that doesn't work I don't know what to do except to see if the Ranger Service can come out and give it a go.

The link I posted earlier is a universal module, which basically adds a Homelink interface to whatever opener you have now by interfacing the button, so if the opener isn't Homelink compatible, this type of product would address that issue. There are several other competing products, and one I'm sure is better than the other.

I'm not sure what buying a new remote would fix.

Can you share the exact make/model # of your opener?

I have an All-O-Matic OH200. The remote that I have been trying to use to link the Tesla worked fine to link my Camaro. Homelink told me that sometimes individual remotes don't work and to try to ask my neighbors if I could borrow theirs. They also said if it worked on the Camaro it should work on the Tesla. I decided to just get a new remote from my Property Management Company tomorrow and give it a shot. If it doesn't work then I'm calling the Ranger service to see if they can help.

I have been struggling to set-up my Homelink in my P85 and finally brought it up to my Service Center when calling to schedule a service. The gentleman on the phone said that the issue is likely that my gate opener is analog (it uses dipsticks) and Homelink is not compatible with that. He advised that I purchase a Universal Remote and use that to program Homelink. Has anyone had any luck doing that? Any particular brand universal remote? My gate was installed in 1997 and is manufactured by All-O-Matic, not a big name company or at least not one I see in the instructions for many universal remotes.

Yes. I have an old Genie opener that works just fine. But I did need to buy a new Genie remote, change the "dipsticks" to a new setting and program the remote first. Now, no problems at all. I used the new remote to sync to the car. The door opens consistently about 40 ft or so from the car. I have an occasional problem and chalk that up to spurious RF interference. But it is rare.

I was on the phone with Tesla Service who had me call Homelink to see if my gate was compatible. They said it was and I was on the phone with them for an hour with no luck. Replace the battery, opened the frunk, tried from in front of the bumper near the passenger side, tried in side the car near the drivers side speaker, tried everything. No luck. Trying one more thing...buying a new remote. If that doesn't work I don't know what to do except to see if the Ranger Service can come out and give it a go.

I had the same problem with my old "dip switched" gate operators and the problem was the remote. Use a new remote with a fresh battery and I'm confident the Homelink can learn it.

Yes. I have an old Genie opener that works just fine. But I did need to buy a new Genie remote, change the "dipsticks" to a new setting and program the remote first. Now, no problems at all. I used the new remote to sync to the car. The door opens consistently about 40 ft or so from the car. I have an occasional problem and chalk that up to spurious RF interference. But it is rare.

What did you end up doing with the old one? I thought mine was a GateMaster, but the remote is a Genie. The thing is in bad shape and is held together with rubber bands at this point. If it weren't for Homelink, I'd be looking to replace it.

- - - Updated - - -

It works!!! Bought a new remote. Put in a new battery. Went to the gate. Popped the frunk. Left the car on. Was able to sync it inside the frunk. Ahhhh...so good! ;)

Glad to hear this! The craziest thing to use a newer remote. The only thing I can think of is it uses a broader spectrum that the car finds and can then lock into what's needed for your garage door?!? Either way, I'm glad you tried it and it worked!