Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home electrical equiipment required to charge at full 48 amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the installation required to charge a Model X with the standard 48 amp charger? What circuit breaker size, wire size, type of outlet receptacle, etc to get the full 48 amps? Which Tesla adapter will be needed? Is there a Tesla document that specifically addresses the Model X with 48 amp charger requirements? Thanks for any info!

If you want 48A you will need to buy the Tesla HPWC charger and provide a 60A circuit. It is for sale in the Tesla website store. It comes with detailed instructions. This has been discussed many times on TMC, search the forum for "HPWC installation".
If 40A charging is sufficient then you only need to provide a 50A circuit and a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Tesla vehicles come with an 14-50 adaptor.
You can find a lot of the information you need from FlasherZ's FAQ FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure QA

Last edited:
If you want 48A you will need to buy the Tesla HPWC charger and provide a 60A circuit. It is for sale in the Tesla website store. It comes with detailed instructions. This has been discussed many times on TMC, search the forum for "HPWC installation".
If 40A charging is sufficient then you only need to provide a 50A circuit and a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Tesla vehicles come with an 14-50 adaptor.

The problem is that the currently offered version of the HPWC does not have a DIP switch setting for a 60 Amp Breaker, 48 Amp Charging. Until Tesla offers a 60/48 option, you will have to put in an 80 Amp circuit that can support up to 64 Amp charging (80/64) with appropriately sized wire.

See page 16 of https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/tesla-wall-connector-installation-80A-12A.pdf for reference.

Hopefully, with the 48 and 72 Amp charging choices offered for the Model X, Tesla will soon offer HPWC's with 90/72 and 60/48 Amp choices. If you can find an old HPWC, those units had 60/48 Amp choices.

You can find a lot of the information you need from FlasherZ's FAQ FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure QA

One could go with something like this. But it's more expensive than the Tesla HPWC and requires the use of the adaptor. Given that the HPWC can be set to a high enough amperage, I'd go with that.

Thanks for all the responses so far! At this time it looks like the Clipper creek 60 amp ($900) using the Telsa J1772 adapter is an option. The Tesla HPWC at $750 would be another option. Using the supplied Tesla mobile connector bundle with the 14-50 plug would be the least expensive with only an 8 amp decrease in charging rate. All three options would need around another $200 or so in wiring/installation needs. Are my conclusions correct? Thanks.

Thanks for all the responses so far! At this time it looks like the Clipper creek 60 amp ($900) using the Telsa J1772 adapter is an option. The Tesla HPWC at $750 would be another option. Using the supplied Tesla mobile connector bundle with the 14-50 plug would be the least expensive with only an 8 amp decrease in charging rate. All three options would need around another $200 or so in wiring/installation needs. Are my conclusions correct? Thanks.
I would go with the included UMC and a 14-50 outlet. It's the easiest and cheapest option by far.

40 Amps gives you 28 miles of charge per hour,. The extra 8 Amps would only add about 5 miles extra per hour.

Also an 14-50 outlet is "just" an outlet, and it may be easier to get inspected/permitted. The HPWC or Clipper Creek units (or any unit greater then 40 Amps) are hardwired EVSEs, and need a separate emergency cutoff switch installed and have additional permitting requirements in some areas.

I would go with the included UMC and a 14-50 outlet. It's the easiest and cheapest option by far.

40 Amps gives you 28 miles of charge per hour,. The extra 8 Amps would only add about 5 miles extra per hour.

Also an 14-50 outlet is "just" an outlet, and it may be easier to get inspected/permitted. The HPWC or Clipper Creek units (or any unit greater then 40 Amps) are hardwired EVSEs, and need a separate emergency cutoff switch installed and have additional permitting requirements in some areas.

If I understand the code correctly, if the breaker is 60 Amps or less, you do not need a separate cutoff switch. That means that the 14-50 and the Clipper Creek 60 both get away without a cutoff switch. Also, most inspectors will let you use the circuit breaker as the cutoff switch if it is within sight of the EVSE.

If I understand the code correctly, if the breaker is 60 Amps or less, you do not need a separate cutoff switch. That means that the 14-50 and the Clipper Creek 60 both get away without a cutoff switch. Also, most inspectors will let you use the circuit breaker as the cutoff switch if it is within sight of the EVSE.

Good point, I forgot about using the breaker as a cutoff, since my panel is not in my garage. :)

But as a hardwired EVSE, the Clipper Creek will still probably have addition permitting requirements over a generic 14-50 outlet.

Depending on the inspector... I used "breaker lockout brackets" for two 50A and one 125A breakers in my main panel. The brackets cost about $3-5 each.
I suggest going bigger on capacity when possible. My two 50A runs are 240'. It was short-sighted of me to only install three 1 1/4" conduits three years ago.
If you don't have buried conduit or long distances it is far cheaper to go bigger now than redo or live with reduced capacity in 5 years (or three!). When battery capacity doubles or triples in the future.....
We are fortunate in that we have a Super Charger 5 miles from the house.

Depending on the inspector... I used "breaker lockout brackets" for two 50A and one 125A breakers in my main panel. The brackets cost about $3-5 each.
I suggest going bigger on capacity when possible. My two 50A runs are 240'. It was short-sighted of me to only install three 1 1/4" conduits three years ago.
If you don't have buried conduit or long distances it is far cheaper to go bigger now than redo or live with reduced capacity in 5 years (or three!). When battery capacity doubles or triples in the future.....
We are fortunate in that we have a Super Charger 5 miles from the house.

Yes, the "readily accessible" terminology used in the requirement for disconnect is different than the "in line of sight" requirement on appliances strapped in place. Some inspectors treat them the same - meaning that your HPWC disconnect must be within sight of the HPWC; yet others accept a breaker lockout device that remains in place even when not locked (new 110.25 language in 2014).

What's the installation required to charge a Model X with the standard 48 amp charger? What circuit breaker size, wire size, type of outlet receptacle, etc to get the full 48 amps? Which Tesla adapter will be needed? Is there a Tesla document that specifically addresses the Model X with 48 amp charger requirements? Thanks for any info!
Are you sure you want home charging that high anyway? Most people oversize their home charging needs thinking that more is better. I wish I had been more modest in my choice.

Ok, I've searched a bazillion threads/posts and still can't find an answer to what I want to do (I hope Flasherz is lurking cuz it sounds like he's the shiz nizzle). When and if our X ever arrives, I have the 14-50 outlet and cable ready. What I want is to make a semi-permanent (low cost) plug in cord (approx 6 ft) that will plug directly into the car without any adapters. Wifey doesn't want to futz with anything (UMCs hanging Chads, nothing) in the car. Just get out, plug in ang go. I thought there was Tesla or aftermarket plug-in that could be wired into the cord but not seeing that on any threads. Thought it could be done for less than the cost of an extra UMC but, maybe not.

Ok, I've searched a bazillion threads/posts and still can't find an answer to what I want to do (I hope Flasherz is lurking cuz it sounds like he's the shiz nizzle). When and if our X ever arrives, I have the 14-50 outlet and cable ready. What I want is to make a semi-permanent (low cost) plug in cord (approx 6 ft) that will plug directly into the car without any adapters. Wifey doesn't want to futz with anything (UMCs hanging Chads, nothing) in the car. Just get out, plug in ang go. I thought there was Tesla or aftermarket plug-in that could be wired into the cord but not seeing that on any threads. Thought it could be done for less than the cost of an extra UMC but, maybe not.

If you don't want to use the J1772 adapter, then your only option is a UMC or wall connector.

I’m not quite seeing the issue. I have my UMC semi-permanently hung on a hook on the garage wall. It’s no muss, no fuss, no futzing, etc. I only ever take it out of the garage a few times a year, when I go on a trip. You don’t need some special kind of cord for that.

I'm really not understanding this. There's no adapter with either the UMC or HPWC.

With the UMC, you get a wall bracket for the box part and a hanger for the cord. You leave it plugged in, and just plug into the car. With the HPWC, the electrician wires it up and you have the cable that you plug and unplug from the car.

Pardon my rookieness. On my original post I didn't realize the UMC included the brick thing with the Cylon eye. Thought it was just a cord and adapter. The issue is our 14-50 is not easy to get to and hits the futz threshold if it had to be unplugged by wifey while trying to corral kids every morning. I assumed most Tesla-ers unplugged everything and threw it in the trunk on a daily basis. I'm guessing this is not the case with daily activities. On a somewhat related (Charging) subject. We have a 5.9 kW solar that produces what we use. Once Mr. X arrives we are at 10,500 kW/yr deficit (according to SCE). Anybody have experience wrt SCE-Net Metering and upsizing their systems? Thanks for your patience.

You would only unplug the UMC from the 14-50 if you needed to take the UMC with you, i.e. if you need to change from another outlet at some point during the day. If you use a public charger you would need some sort of small adapter (that would presumably be left in the trunk at all times) and if you were to use a supercharger then no adapter necessary.

Basically, the only time you might need to take the UMC with you would be if you were going out of town and wanted to charge at a friend's house, or another location that happens to have an outlet but no charging cable.