Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home circuit breaker 208 volts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you measure it with a meter, or are you interpreting the results someone says they got?
What does it matter who used the meter to measure? Whether you do it and use those results to interpret or you use someone else’s results testing the same way, the interpretation will be the same. OP was very clear in how he measured:
Hi all, I just got around to install my 14-50 outlet in my garage. When I finished installing the outlet, I used my multimeter to test the voltages. I tested from hot1 to ground and hot2 to ground both measured at exactly 120v. However, when I measured across hot1 and hot2, I get 208v. I thought that was weird, so I tested the voltages at the breaker with the same result. I measured my other 240v circuits and also got 208v. I then measured at the thick cables coming into the breaker (mains) and it also measured at 208v. Why am I getting 208v instead of 240v? Would this affect charging? Any issues I should be concerned with?
And is obviously comfortable enough with electricity to install his own outlet and properly test its operation. It seems like the only acceptable answer to you is if a licensed electrician did the measuring or if you yourself did. No one else’s results will satisfy you.

What does it matter who used the meter to measure? Whether you do it and use those results to interpret or you use someone else’s results testing the same way, the interpretation will be the same. OP was very clear in how he measured:

And is obviously comfortable enough with electricity to install his own outlet and properly test its operation. It seems like the only acceptable answer to you is if a licensed electrician did the measuring or if you yourself did. No one else’s results will satisfy you.

That is what being licensed means. You are qualified to do something or you aren’t. Harry home owner isn’t qualified to stick his nasty pokey bits into a pokey bit receptacle.

It isn’t that hard.

Nobody needs to be licensed to use a multimeter. I'm not licensed either, all I have is a degree in electrical engineering. So you're telling me I'm not qualified to use a multimeter?
Besides, any advice given of a forum is based on the information provided by the OP. Based on what OP wrote, he's connected to a 3-phase system. If that turns out to be wrong, then OP provided wrong information. It's as simple as that. Following the logic that nobody can ever answer a question because we don't know if the OPs problem description was accurate, this (or any) forum would be dead.

That is what being licensed means. You are qualified to do something or you aren’t. Harry home owner isn’t qualified to stick his nasty pokey bits into a pokey bit receptacle.

It isn’t that hard.
Then you need to get a law on the books that says multimeters can only be sold to licensed professionals and get them taken off the shelf of every home improvement store in America. You seem bitter about average Joe taking work away from you (assuming you are a licensed electrician).

And his nasty pokey bits? What if it's the same model you use? Is your pokey bit nasty too?

It isn’t that hard.

This ridiculously absurd point of view very neatly summarizes the worst of the worst when it comes to the arrogance and inflated self importance of some in skilled trades.

My 7th grader is in his school’s ROV club and “qualified” to use a multimeter.

Knowledge of the National Electric Code =\= Knowledge of electronics

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and Mrbrock
This ridiculously absurd point of view very neatly summarizes the worst of the worst when it comes to the arrogance and inflated self importance of some in skilled trades.

My 7th grader is in his school’s ROV club and “qualified” to use a multimeter.

Knowledge of the National Electric Code =\= Knowledge of electronics

We aren’t talking about electronics. There is a difference in knowing how to use a meter, and knowing how to interpret the readings and applying the interpretation to make the correct diagnosis and repair.

Sure you can read this plug tester, but knowing what it means is another story. (Hint, it doesn’t mean what it says if means)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: !igs and ucmndd
We aren’t talking about electronics.
Using a multimeter to read voltage isn't an electronic application? |---D

Would you have reacted this way if the OP hadn't started by saying he installed his own outlet? If he came here and said he was seeing 208 volts at his car and wanted to know why and you told him to use a multimeter to get some readings to check/confirm this would that ok to you? That he bowed down to you at your altar to get advice?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Then you need to get a law on the books that says multimeters can only be sold to licensed professionals and get them taken off the shelf of every home improvement store in America. You seem bitter about average Joe taking work away from you (assuming you are a licensed electrician).

And his nasty pokey bits? What if it's the same model you use? Is your pokey bit nasty too?

My pokey bit has a license to poke. It’s been tested.

• Disagree
Using a multimeter to read voltage isn't an electronic application? |---D

Would you have reacted this way if the OP hadn't started by saying he installed his own outlet? If he came here and said he was seeing 208 volts at his car and wanted to know why and you told him to use a multimeter to get some readings to check/confirm this would that ok to you? That he bowed down to you at your altar to get advice?

My advice would have been to stop ****ing around with something that can kill you and call a licensed electrician.

• Disagree
There's multimeter licenses? So I just need to buy a licensed multimeter and I don't need an electrician? That will save me a bunch of money and I won't have deal with arrogance and inflated self-worth? Thank you for showing me the ways.

I already explained to you what I am talking about. If you don’t get it you definitely don’t need to messing around with electricity.

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
I already explained to you what I am talking about. If you don’t get it you definitely don’t need to messing around with electricity.
I am responding to what you are telling me. I'd ask you to objectively read through your posts and see what you have said but I don't think that would be productive for anyone involved.

Instead of responding to the information posted, you are going out of your way to condemn the OP for not calling an electrician to do this simple job for him. And he clearly stated how he tested which is exactly how you would have tested (well, how you should test if you are a licensed electrician). Oh, and based on your comments, you would have said there is something wrong with his electrical service because he got 208V instead of the 240V he should be getting as a residential customer. Oh wait, you did say he should have 240V service instead of reading what he posted and using your qualifications and license to realize he has 208V single phase power originating from 2 legs of 3 phase 208V. If you aren't going to answer his question and give them advice, please refrain from posting.

• Love
I am responding to what you are telling me. I'd ask you to objectively read through your posts and see what you have said but I don't think that would be productive for anyone involved.

Instead of responding to the information posted, you are going out of your way to condemn the OP for not calling an electrician to do this simple job for him. And he clearly stated how he tested which is exactly how you would have tested (well, how you should test if you are a licensed electrician). Oh, and based on your comments, you would have said there is something wrong with his electrical service because he got 208V instead of the 240V he should be getting as a residential customer. Oh wait, you did say he should have 240V service instead of reading what he posted and using your qualifications and license to realize he has 208V single phase power originating from 2 legs of 3 phase 208V. If you aren't going to answer his question and give them advice, please refrain from posting.

If someone said they had a cough and a mild fever you wouldn’t tell them to diagnose themselves.

• Disagree
If someone said they had a cough and a mild fever you wouldn’t tell them to diagnose themselves.
Have you been to a doctor recently? You call them and they ask you your symptoms then they diagnose you or give you advice based on those symptoms.

In this case, the symptoms are 208V hot leg 1 to hot leg 2 and 120V hot leg 1/2 to ground. If you were a doctor and given those symptoms, what would your assessment be?

Get over it and yourself. Instead of answering the question, you got on a high horse about how no one should ever try something for themselves and only have certified people do things for them. We should only eat restaurant food, we shouldn't cut our own lawn, we shouldn't work on our own cars, the list goes on and on and on. Do you do anything in your life they you don't have a license or degree for?

• Love
Reactions: ucmndd and Rocky_H
I can only imagine the response I’d receive from the electricians around here if I called them and asked for a visit based on the symptoms OP described in his first post.

Some in the skilled trades just need to convince themselves on the daily that they’re the only thing saving people from total failure and certain death, to maximize self importance and confirm their biases and investment in their licensure. I’m sure these are the same set that lobby hard for jurisdictions to prevent homeowners from doing their own work - you know, because “safety”.

Although based on the responses and advice offered in this thread I have a hard time believing qdeathstar is actually a licensed electrician.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Mrbrock
This is a new construction and it is a condo/multi-occupancy unit (one building has 4 units). So that would explain why we are on 3 phase power. But it sounds like I shouldn't run into any issues with charging. I do see other neighbors charging their Teslas too and they pre-wired a EV box in the garage.
If SCE is your electricity provider, the service voltage is shown on your bill:

SCE Voltage.PNG

Reactions: qdeathstar
Have you been to a doctor recently? You call them and they ask you your symptoms then they diagnose you or give you advice based on those symptoms.

Yea, but the key is, they are a doctor. Like a licensed electrician is a licensed electrician.

Not some rando on the internet.

In this case, the symptoms are 208V hot leg 1 to hot leg 2 and 120V hot leg 1/2 to ground. If you were a doctor and given those symptoms, what would your assessment be?

I would recommend having a certified electrician verify the measurements as well as consult the local utility. We’ve been over this. Please do catch up.

We should only eat restaurant food, we shouldn't cut our own lawn, we shouldn't work on our own cars, the list goes on and on and on. Do you do anything in your life they you don't have a license or degree for?
Straw man….

Yea, but the key is, they are a doctor. Like a licensed electrician is a licensed electrician.

Not some rando on the internet.

I would recommend having a certified electrician verify the measurements as well as consult the local utility. We’ve been over this. Please do catch up.

Straw man….
You are the one that needs to catch up. Read the advice you gave earlier as to whether he has 208 or not (you said no because he is residential even after posting how he took readings and what his results are). Go ahead, its there for you and everyone else to see.

You just said he needs to talk a certified electrician. If you are licensed, why didn't you answer his question correctly?