Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging management software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does energy management software exist to control the charge rate of my Model 3? I installed home solar; excess power is produced on sunny afternoons that can be used to charge. I want to set the charge current to keep the load just below where it pulls from the grid. Energy management systems (EMS) abound, however I don't know of one that will communicate with the vehicle. Turning the charger breaker off and on isn't the right solution.

What's the manufacturer of your solar/inverter system? If you stay within the Tesla ecosystem with a Powerwall you can simply enable this in your Tesla app.

Otherwise popular manufacturers like Enphase and Solaredge have their own Level 2 chargers that can directly communicate with their inverters. I think both support this use case.

Mixing and matching brands starts to get complicated, but one solution is the Emporia EV charger + Vue energy monitor. This would work with any existing solar/inverter setup.

In all cases I would probably wait for the NACS plug version of these level 2 chargers to be released.

ChargeHQ manages my cars charge current very well with my Powerwalls, but I'm not sure about other solar setups. They have a free version, and a 60 day free trial of the full version. I'm very happy with it!

Reactions: DanubeRS
ChargeHQ manages my cars charge current very well with my Powerwalls, but I'm not sure about other solar setups. They have a free version, and a 60 day free trial of the full version. I'm very happy with it!

Have been using ChargeHQ for about a month now, and it has enough switches and knobs to get your config just how you like it. Highly recommended.

I would like to share my project which I wrote to charge my Tesla using excess solar energy.
It combines power usage information gathered from eGauge to control the charging rate over Bluetooth using the Tesla Vehicle Command SDK It also integrates with TeslaMate for vehicle location and charging need determination.
Check out PVCharge!
energy_graph.png

Reactions: yesimon