Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a squirrel, Broke my grill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a squirrel dove into my grill at about 60mph, wasn’t able to avoid it. Seems like the grill “grates” are part of the bumper and all are crack completely. Anything I can do to fix this. Seems very costly to have a bumper replaced (also have xpel ppf on the bumper) just for this. Gorilla glue?
Also, how can I check if there is any squirrel left over behind the louvers that auto open and close, or damage to the mechanism itself.

the column circled is all snapped. The highlight part is actually attached to the lip, also cracked.
780545CA-1D8C-4D51-8390-24C950DF9ECB.jpeg
D645815D-A723-412E-9256-929DA6F1037A.jpeg

After a quick rinse.
5C9BD415-1C7F-416F-A59E-C74B87A83C20.jpeg

Honestly, it doesn’t look too bad. I’d give bending it back and glue a shot first. If you use super glue, go light on it - use a toothpick or something to apply.

The grill did its job. Looks like the automatic damper fins were not damaged.

So a squirrel dove into my grill at about 60mph, wasn’t able to avoid it. Seems like the grill “grates” are part of the bumper and all are crack completely. Anything I can do to fix this. Seems very costly to have a bumper replaced (also have xpel ppf on the bumper) just for this. Gorilla glue?

Depending on how ghetto you want to go with this (and how handy you are) your range of repair choices could start with duck tape, then progress to plastic glues, epoxies, and finally, a new bumper.

This is a crappy area on which to work, with minimal access. If you want near-perfect DIY results, I would remove the bumper first, put it on a work table, and proceed from there.

If that sounds like too much excitement, than order a new bumper from Tesla SC, and pay them to install it. I think it's somewhere around $350, so likely will fall below your insurance deductible.

Also, how can I check if there is any squirrel left over behind the louvers that auto open and close, or damage to the mechanism itself.

Either put the car on a lift, remove the under-tray, and poke around.
Or remove the bumper.

Or wait a few days, and see how it smells !

a

Reactions: Phlier
Can I see that area if I remove the frunk liner? How involved is pulling the bumper off. It’s a pita area to get to. I’ll try superglue in small amounts first. Seems like just the grill was hit, I guess the little rat was mid hop and cleared the lower lip.

update:

the weather was nicer here in NJ this weekend and i was able to get a closer look at the grill/louvers.

question 1) if i take the bumper off, is the grill actually a separate piece i can buy from tesla and replace.

question 2) my left louvers are curved in likely from the impact and im pretty sure do not open since, the right side is flat (normal looking). is there a way i can test the opening and closing and anyway to access the louvers without removing the bumper? i may be able to push the louvers back in place.

EDIT: found a parts catalog- i am assuming the parts are separate from the bumper (grill specifically) and can be ordered directly by part number?

ill get a photo later today, here are parts photos
grill.JPG

the highlighted part seems out of its place causing the inverse bend in the louvers
louvers.JPG

Last edited: