Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highly recommended to use PIN for extra Security

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use a PIN 100% of the time primarily because I don’t trust my kids.

A woman apoarently recently sued Tesla because her car “drove into her.” Of course this was a lie and Tesla diagnostics revealed her kid had actually been in the car and managed to shift into drive, but the point is you can never be too careful when kids are involved. Had she actually had the foresight to use the tools available, this would have been impossible.

Of course there are reasons not to use it, since it’s a bit more incovenient, but we each have to weigh our own options. For me, the extra security is well worth the 3 or 4 seconds of extra hassle.

Always use pin, was a little strange at first but it's 2nd nature now and makes it so much more secure, my spare key is always in a faraday punch but i take my normal keys to bed with me and dont bother putting them in a punch as even if they had the actual key they still need the pin.

The inconvenience is overcome after a couple days of using it i assure you, also people who are getting into my X for the first time are amazed it has a pin to unlock like a smartphone :)

I turned off passive entry in the security settings. Since you have to press a button on the fob before you can start the car, I think this is good enough for me; repeater attacks are effectively nullified, and it's a lot easier than messing with a faraday pouch and/or a PIN. Automatic doors are still on, but you have to unlock before they work, so now I can walk by the X in the garage while my fob is on me without worrying about the door opening and not closing, too. It may be possible that the car would start with a repeater attack if walkaway door lock failed, but that would be a pretty unlikely sequence of events (and one that could be nullified by always locking with the fob, too).