Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve heard rumours you need to make sure your Tesla app is the latest version - may not make a difference but maybe worth checking
This is interesting... I'm on the latest version of the app for Android and no Acceleration Boost, but the latest android app isn't the latest app. Android is 4.29.0 but I believe latest release on iOS is 4.29.1...

That said, acceleration boost isn't in the in-car upgrades either.

After having the car for a few days… agreed. It’s not a big deal after the first 10 minutes of instinctively going for the stalk. Stalks are still better though but it’s not the big deal some people are making it out to be.

Same for the gear change on screen. It’s quicker than moving the gear stick on the (auto) Cupra Ateca I’ve come from. Can’t compare to the previous Tesla stalk shifter as I only had a brief test drive a few months back.
How are the headlights? Flashing them, dipping (if not using auto dip)? Still as easy as a stalk?

This is interesting... I'm on the latest version of the app for Android and no Acceleration Boost, but the latest android app isn't the latest app. Android is 4.29.0 but I believe latest release on iOS is 4.29.1...

That said, acceleration boost isn't in the in-car upgrades either.
The latest iOS version is now 4.29.5, it looks like it was released yesterday.

I usually have to manually update the Tesla App, whereas most others update when it’s being charged.

I initially had a short test drive on launch day, but went for a longer drive on Friday. I wanted to see what the wind noise was like on an motorway and it’s a big improvement on my Fremont built 2020 M3P. At the moment I’m probably looking at a M3LR when my lease expires later in the year unless Tesla open up all the Superchargers to third parties and then I may reconsider.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Oxid8ter
No acceleration boost available for my LR.

Steering feels good and the 3 options change the speed of turning. Coming from a non-Tesla it’s light and well balanced.
I don’t think you can be correct about changing the speed of turning. That’s only possible with either steer by wire or an actual gear ratio change. The 3 options vary the resistance to turning but not the speed.

I don’t think you can be correct about changing the speed of turning. That’s only possible with either steer by wire or an actual gear ratio change. The 3 options vary the resistance to turning but not the speed.
This is correct. The latest model does have a different steering ratio, feels slower to respond, and cannot be adjusted. Those steering choices are adjusting the power steering, how easy/difficult it is to turn the wheels, not how much they turn.

Last edited:
This is correct. The latest model does have a different steering ratio, feels slower to respond, and cannot be adjusted. Those steering choices are adjusting the power steering, how easy/difficult it is to turn the wheels, not how much they turn.

What do you make of it? I always found the steering to be almost to precise/sharp with taking some getting used to doing some bends at some higher speeds so this might be better imho 🤔

What do you make of it? I always found the steering to be almost to precise/sharp with taking some getting used to doing some bends at some higher speeds so this might be better imho 🤔
I prefer the steering on my 2020LR, it takes little effort and is very precise and responsive. I can nip around potholes quite easily.
On my Highland test drive I found I had to turn the wheel more to get the same steering, so it felt much less exciting/engaging and more designed with a commuter and "average" car user in mind if you know what I mean. More for the masses.

I prefer the steering on my 2020LR, it takes little effort and is very precise and responsive. I can nip around potholes quite easily.
On my Highland test drive I found I had to turn the wheel more to get the same steering, so it felt much less exciting/engaging and more designed with a commuter and "average" car user in mind if you know what I mean. More for the masses.

I know what you mean. The trait in this for me and for the same B road (60) commute I do most days its becomes a bit to sharp and higher speed and can unsettle the car on mild to mid sharp bend.

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
While the steering ratio has changed slightly (2.14 turns lock to lock vs 2) the turning circle is almost identical (11.7m vs 11.8m), so probably not enough to make a great difference. My guess is the different feel is down to a combination of suspension changes and the switch to Michelin E Primacy tyres, which will feel very different to more sport oriented tyres like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fitted to the 2019 M3P. Their relatively lower level of grip (the E Primacy targets lower rolling resistance rather than outright grip), along withe the softer suspension, may make the front end of the car feel less direct than before. For those on 19” or 20” wheels the higher side walls of the tyres on the 18” inch wheels will also feel less direct too.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
While the steering ratio has changed slightly (2.14 turns lock to lock vs 2) the turning circle is almost identical (11.7m vs 11.8m), so probably not enough to make a great difference. My guess is the different feel is down to a combination of suspension changes and the switch to Michelin E Primacy tyres, which will feel very different to more sport oriented tyres like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fitted to the 2019 M3P. Their relatively lower level of grip (the E Primacy targets lower rolling resistance rather than outright grip), along withe the softer suspension, may make the front end of the car feel less direct than before. For those on 19” or 20” wheels the higher side walls of the tyres on the 18” inch wheels will also feel less direct too.
Yes I think you're also right that there's other factors at play, I'd be interested to try the LR with 19s for a like for like comparison. The Highland ride is certainly more comfortable, I'm surprised to say that I prefer mine as I don't find it uncomfortable and enjoy the road feedback and contact. More at one with the road in a zen sort of way 😛

It's good to know if I wanted more comfort I could try the Primacys. It's hard to test tyres without committing!

Last edited:
That’s great thanks for looking into it. Annoyingly I’d have to take the 1 day old car to the service centre which is an hour away but guess I’d rather do that then deal with a vibration. Was thinking initially maybe it’s bc it’s so new and needs
To be driven a bit but maybe not. Will see how it is today and if still there I’ll schedule the appt
Did you resolve your issue with vibration? I have the same problem. Tesla was unable to resolve at first visit.