Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Estimated, since Tesla doesn't put out monthly reports, only quarterly.

InsideEVs does very educated guesses until they firm up data after the next quarterly report. Usually they’re pretty accurate on S and X but the 3 is a bit of a crapshoot for obvious reasons.

Even if it’s correct they delivered more 3s in one month than in the previous six months combined. If February and March continue that trajectory things will be moving along just fine very soon.

I Serial numbers ranged from 43xx to 65xx. There were two with adjacent serial numbers in the 45xx range -- did someone configure their pair at the same time? (Yes, I know there's an S and an X in there. The rest are 3s. And more of them in other rows.)
View attachment 277307
Thanks for the tip. I went to check out exterior colors today. And to also consider the red, initially not on my list, but some consider it hot :)
It was a short stop before work and I did not take time to count, but I think there was about 15 of them left. Some have on tires what looks like California dirt :) I think aeros look weird with red... maybe if you paint them red it will be better...Also the car is not as big as I thought, noticably shorter than my Altima
20180201_084706.jpg
20180201_085400.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: suwaneedad
Is it probable that they are being shipped out as quickly as they are being made divided out to service centers prior to being 'spoken for' via configuration?
This would alleviate storage concerns within Fremont or other areas and then also quickly get the vehicle into the hands of the owner when they configure one like a locally stored vehicle.

Tesla had 860 Model 3 in transit and they are only estimating 1875 total delivered in Jan. Sounds too low to me

I suspect that the real number is probably double the InsideEVs estimate and the site is just playing it safe.

I’d bet a dollar that if production and deliveries are going well that Tesla will give out a one-time update with their Q4 report to help ease any other pain contained in the report and put investors at ease. Perhaps just a current run rate would do.

If it makes you feel better, the Model 3 outsold the BoltEV + Nissan LEAF (presumably a good # of those are LEAF 2) (the Model 3's "supposed" competition) by 548 vehicles.

* Yes, I know, apples and oranges, but whatever...sick of hearing the SA bears announce every month that the Bolt outsold the Model 3 5:1, blah blah blah...

Is it probable that they are being shipped out as quickly as they are being made divided out to service centers prior to being 'spoken for' via configuration?
This would alleviate storage concerns within Fremont or other areas and then also quickly get the vehicle into the hands of the owner when they configure one like a locally stored vehicle.
That silver one in the foreground looks almost matte. Was there something odd about the daylight when you took the pic?
Yes, it's this logjam of inventory cars that we've now seen reported in several cities (Atlanta is where I witnessed it two weekends ago and will be stopping by Saturday for an updated look at things), that I'm eagerly awaiting to see worked through the system. You just laid eyes on ~$1.25MM of product which could instead be cash right now in Tesla's kitty. Let's get these damn cars delivered!
I talked to two service center personnel who assured me that these were being prepared for delivery to customers who already have their VIN numbers in hand, and are expected to evaporate off the lot within 2 or 3 days. One of them asked me not to take pictures of specific vehicles to preserve customer privacy.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and navguy12
If it makes you feel better, the Model 3 outsold the BoltEV + Nissan LEAF (presumably a good # of those are LEAF 2) (the Model 3's "supposed" competition) by 548 vehicles.

Zero were LEAF 2--it's not yet available in the US.

That said, it's likely (IMO) that the in-transit number for Jan has increased compared to the 800 reported by Tesla as of 12/31/2017, and therefore production in January is probably higher than what InsideEVs reported for deliveries. Perhaps higher by 800 if we assume the in-transit number doubled.

[Edit - beaten to the punch by smak]

The numbers sound reasonable to me. You have the 860 cars produced last year that weren't delivered. The factory was closed for the first week of January, so you have three weeks of production. I'm not sure what the average production to delivery time is at this point, but since they are now delivering across the country (unlike in December) I would guess that most of the second half of January production has yet to be delivered. They were still filling the delivery pipeline in January.

I wonder why they don't just register 100,000 VINs. The piecemealing seems weird.

Perhaps NHTSA charges them per VIN registered? Maybe there are rules that a VIN cannot be registered unless production of said VIN needs to happen within X amount of weeks after being registered? Look at it this way, this gives us a little glimpse into the production ramp. It's not a very clear picture just based off of registered VINs in NHTSA, but at least it's a data point that can be merged with all of the other evidence we're able to scrounge up.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and EinSV