Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me that seemed like a dumb move... why not keep them easily swappable? Even if not for the fast swap station, for ease of replacement or service.

I really hope that Tesla is reading this cuz I'm sure they haven't considered any of these great ideas.
:)

I’ll throw in a suggestion... maybe their battery R&D the last 5 years has given them confidence that the new 3 batteries are stable and have longevity; since the S was all new they hedged their bets making the battery easily swappable just in case. And now with the 3 not needed and quicker/cheaper to manufacture this way. This is complete speculation.

To answer @McHoffa directly: Tesla is dealing with multiple trade offs and they are making their decisions using far more information than us plebes out here.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
Wouldn't the battery be the last step? I've seen a video in which EM showed how a model S(?) battery was taken off and a new one clicked on within a couple of minutes. If so, the sequence of assembly wouldn't have to be changed. They just leave out the final step, put the cars in stock, click on the battery as soon as it is finished and deliver the car. Ramping up battery production above the rate in which cars are manufactured could then speed up deliveries.

The 3 integrates most/all of the HV switching/ charging/ 12V DC electronics, so there is more than the original packs 2ish connectors.

3batt.PNG

Reactions: transpondster
I heard from my railroad source today. The expected 2000 Model 3's a week for the mid west in late November has been moved to 1st Quarter 2018. Even Tesla negotiates with unrealistic expectations. Sad.
That explains a more reasonable probability of why I saw a train full of empty automobile transport cars coming away from what could have been the area of Fremont going south on 101 past Gilroy a week or two ago; the trains were ordered, but there was nothing to fill them. I'm still not sure of that conclusion. Also, where would they store them? Use them for more transport, or stick them on some side rail down further on the track?

That explains a more reasonable probability of why I saw a train full of empty automobile transport cars coming away from what could have been the area of Fremont going south on 101 past Gilroy a week or two ago; the trains were ordered, but there was nothing to fill them. I'm still not sure of that conclusion. Also, where would they store them? Use them for more transport, or stick them on some side rail down further on the track?
There are tons of train going around everyday, you are thinking too much lol

Reactions: transpondster
It would be very unusual for transport company to run empty cars except to relocate them... unless Tesla did not tell them no cargo until they showed up at Fremont spur AND those cars were needed at destination for backhaul, which is also highly improbable. Interesting theory, but no.

Is there a chart of dates with "new highest VIN" without those 3xx VINs delivered day 1?
VINs per-se don't give a count of number of cars produced, but this random sampling will reveal the shape production acceleration curve.
All the data is on this thread including a list up to 323. Then there’s excel. Have at it!

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12 and ohmman

I hope Tesla reconsiders the use of rail cars for delivery. Railway dust getting baked into the paint of a brand new car is really sucky not to mention rock chips.

BMW transports their cars to final delivery in covered carriers for a reason.

There are tons of train going around everyday, you are thinking too much lol
Yes, I know, but you don't think there's some residual ordering on the basis of need?
I hope Tesla reconsiders the use of rail cars for delivery. Railway dust getting baked into the paint of a brand new car is really sucky not to mention rock chips.

BMW transports their cars to final delivery in covered carriers for a reason.
Then I hope Tesla does the same as BMW. It always baffled me that rail line car carriers were open; I supposed it was to stop theft (at transfer stations, some guy skipping a car and no one can visually see it, then offloads it in an alternate location).

Isn't there a big shipping area near Benicia where cars are loaded onto the ships? Trains offload vehicles there to a staging area. Surely not Tesla and explains the empties heading away.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo