Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Amp Charger (72 amps) now standard on all cars??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed something else in addition to the 75D being added to the Design Studio today (there are lots of other threads on this topic so I won't go into it here). For the charger it says the high amp version can be 'enabled after delivery'. Does that mean it is like the 75 kWh battery... the larger amp hardware is installed but is limited to 48 amps by software and can be upgraded over the air later??? Or, do you think that means the hardware can be retrofitted at a Service Center later on?

My 70D (which is really a 75D) is on order. I was going to get a 60 amp circuit installed in my home for the HPWC but now I'm considering going up to 100 amps in case I feel like upgrading my car over the air later.

2016-05-06_8-56-58.png

There's been a few threads noting this. Yes, they standardized on one charger and it's now a software unlocked for 72amps. New question is will the older X's that have this charger (but at 48amp) get the opportunity to upgrade via software also.

Also when will the dual 72amp chargers be out? (joking)

There's been a few threads noting this. Yes, they standardized on one charger and it's now a software unlocked for 72amps. New question is will the older X's that have this charger (but at 48amp) get the opportunity to upgrade via software also.

Also when will the dual 72amp chargers be out? (joking)

I know that there was discussion about the 72amp charger when the refresh came out in April. However, all of the discussions I saw at the time were just noting that it was an option that could be selected while configuring the Model S. None implied that it was going to be built in as standard hardware and could be upgraded via an OTA update after delivery. Maybe I missed those discussions...??

Notice that $1,900 is almost the same as the price to add a second charger to the pre-refresh Model S, so this post delivery could require a SC visit. I guess we will find out after the first person enables it after delivery. One more thing, even if this is an OTA, I wouldn't expect this to be enabled on the spot, as in "I am traveling and just found am 80A HPWC, here is my credit card, enable me now please". It could require an OTA to be pushed and installed, or may even take a couple of days as the old S60 post delivery supercharger enablement did.

DS just confirmed that the new models will have the 72 amp hardware which is software limited to 48amps and can be 'upgraded' OTA.

So now i have a home wiring question... I will definitely wire for 100amps but should i just put a 60 amp circuit breaker in since i plan on staying with the 48amp charger for now? Or, should i just go ahead and put in the 100amp breaker? Does it matter?

DS just confirmed that the new models will have the 72 amp hardware which is software limited to 48amps and can be 'upgraded' OTA.

So now i have a home wiring question... I will definitely wire for 100amps but should i just put a 60 amp circuit breaker in since i plan on staying with the 48amp charger for now? Or, should i just go ahead and put in the 100amp breaker? Does it matter?

Why would you put a 60A breaker? If your wiring is for 100A, the price difference between 60A and 100A breaker only is negligible, or maybe no difference at all. There is no advantage to putting in 60A breaker on 100A line to the HPWC. If you need to limit current, you can do it in the HPWC or in the car.

That verbiage regarding the outlet would seem to be incorrect or misleading. While you could connect to a 14-50, and charge overnight, you won't be pulling 48A or gaining 34mi of range per hour of charge. The "up to" modifier in their sentence makes it correct, but that feels a little dodgy.

For that, you'd need a NEMA 14-60 which I don't believe exists for the UMC, and hence you'd need the HPWC for that charge rate as well...

Last edited:
That verbiage regarding the outlet would seem to be incorrect or misleading. While you could connect to a 14-50, and charge overnight, you won't be pulling 48A or gaining 34mi of range per hour of charge. The "up to" modifier in their sentence makes it correct, but that feels a little dodgy.

For that, you'd need a NEMA 14-60 which I don't believe exists for the UMC, and hence you'd need the HPWC for that charge rate as well...

Good point. I hadn't noticed that. I was going with the HPWC regardless.

I had ordered the 72 amp charger and my invoice says so. (VIN 1526 and March 24 deliver). Yesterday we fired up the new WC set for 80 amps.The car only allowed it to go to 48 amps. We tried a Model S with dual charges and it charged at 80 amps. Called service and they had the local SC contact us. Turns out our car charger needs to be upgraded with a new charger. They said they put the wrong charger in the car.

Maybe new cars have sw upgradeable chargers but the old ones seem to be fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and Fiver