Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz in the US discontinueing Tesla's from Fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True - they are currently selling about a third of their Tesla fleet.

But replacing them with ICE cars...so not a 'direction of travel' which is consistent with their stated ambition for a 70% EV fleet in 6 years time.
Their CEO did an interview yesterday where he basically said they’d gone a bit too fast on early EV adoption but nothing had changed on the 2030 targets.

Reactions: ewoodrick
True - they are currently selling about a third of their Tesla fleet.

But replacing them with ICE cars...so not a 'direction of travel' which is consistent with their stated ambition for a 70% EV fleet in 6 years time.
A rental EV target in 6 years time does not require action for 4 years, a good case can be made that many of the issues will be fixed by others within that time, so no point doing it now if they only care about 6 years time.

Their CEO did an interview yesterday where he basically said they’d gone a bit too fast on early EV adoption but nothing had changed on the 2030 targets.
The same CEO probably made the 25% EV target by the end of 2024, which has now been abandoned. It’s impossible to say the 2030 target is guaranteed, and given that EV adoption seems to be slowing I’m very sceptical it will happen. Only time will tell.

Reactions: hpartsch and Pants
I wouldn't be so sure this alone will be responsible. Hertz acknowledge that their Uber partnership of leasing Teslas is successful and is expanding. There will be a demand for these cars for taxis as they will be good for another 200,000 miles at least! They will also be very affordable 2nd hand cars - and able to get the EV IRA credit as a further discount.

Tesla launched the refreshed Model 3 in the USA three days ago at the same prices as the old models. All of the cars in the Hertz fleet will have to be depreciated accordingly. This is not Hertz's traditional market model - they are being hugely disrupted by that move. Traditional ICE cars in their fleet are on the "normal" two year refresh/four year new model cycle. Tesla don't do that as we all know.

Until Tesla prices stabilise the rental companies will not be happy, and Tesla are still reducing the COGS to produce cars. As it is, even us Tesla retail customers are seeing our 2nd hand resale value drop regularly - just look around these threads! Rental companies have not adjusted their old practices to the new ways yet, and the discounted ICE vehicles will just be too juicy a buy at the moment.
It is traditional that large Fleets get huge discounts on their cars from the manufacture. Supposedly they were not able to secure any discounts from Tesla. That alone is going to have been a problem for their residuals even before the price cutting started.

Reactions: Skavatar
That's why most rental agencies are charging more for EVs than ICE, arguing that the renter will save on fuel...
Pretty sure your average renter is likely to be using public charging so the reality is they will probably pay more for fuel than in ICE.
I love my EV's but I have to say when I go on holiday I have no particular desire to rent an EV at present. because figuring out the EV charging maze in another country is something I can do without while on holiday.

when I go on holiday I have no particular desire to rent an EV at present. because figuring out the EV charging maze in another country is something I can do without while on holiday

When I go to then continent I take my EV with me ... and figure out the charging maze in another country ... I hadn't thought about it before, but I don't think renting an EV would be much different (but I do think that "some countries" might not be suitable ... but nor would they for me to take my EV with me :) )

Rented my first Tesla a few years ago on the Continent. Supercharging was included... (i.e: not billed back by the rental company, but free). Easy to just follow the satnav, not having to fumble with rfid cards at broken charge points, etc... Especially for people with zero prior EV experience.

So yes, the daily rate was more expensive than a Vauxhall Corsa, but, hey, it was a Model 3, and I had zero extra costs (besides tolls) on a 500 mile journey for a week. And once I arrived at my holiday rental, I plugged in into a 3-pin overnight... Great feeling not having to pay a penny for fuel.

Sadly that startup rental company just went bankrupt this week... :D (but I'm guessing that's more to do with the residual values plummeting than offering customers free SC)

Reactions: boombap
When I go to then continent I take my EV with me ... and figure out the charging maze in another country ... I hadn't thought about it before, but I don't think renting an EV would be much different (but I do think that "some countries" might not be suitable ... but nor would they for me to take my EV with me :) )
Last place I rented a car was Florida so in an EV not only would I have had to navigate charging but I would have had to worry about someone opening fire on me for being too woke.

I took a look earlier. the MYLR don't qualify for the Used EV tax credit. It'd be better to just buy a new one from inventory with the inventory discount plus the New EV tax credit. Just wish they'd get the PoS thing approved asap.
Took a look at the Hertz used vehicle site. 104 vehicles listed as available from any distance. Not impressed. Cheapest MYLR is a 2022 with 79,819 miles for $33,555. Meanwhile cheapest MYLR from inventory is $44,090. Subtract the $7,500 incentive and it comes to $36,590.

Adjusted the price range in the Hertz site to $36,590 low and $90,000 high. 86 vehicles listed. Literally selling two year old cars with 50,000 miles for more than you can get one from inventory. No thanks.