Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here’s a view of your model 3 you don’t see everyday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they pull off the front bumper to mount it?

ugh, yes... the whole bumper comes off (ok, they actually leave it hanging on at one end. The whole frunk comes out. My tech was not really all the careful either.. Just put the bolts and fasteners down on the sloping driveway (was afraid they could easily roll away or be kicked), and ended up breaking on the the mounting brackets.

The good news is a different tech showed up and took over the job and he was AWESOME. Very careful and answered all my questions

How long did the install take ?
Took mine 4 hours on the lift at the Service Center, part of the install is also the software upload to get it to work. They offered me a Model S but I just waited for it.

I remember now, the reason why they quoted me 4 hours was that my Homelink was the first one to be installed at that service center. Probably did training with it.

All that’s require for the Model Y is to remove the Frunk Shell.

Fred

How long did the install take ?

Longer than I thought it would... not sure exactly but between 1-2 hours.

Some of that was pairing with the garage openers -- those things are old tech, and you just got to keep on repeating the same steps until it works.

wow, did I just complain that the garage openers are "old tech, and you just got to keep on repeating the same steps until it works."? It occurs to me that after install of HomeLink, the tech had to do a steering wheel reset... about 10 times.. until the HomeLink was recognized and works.

Old Tech... New Tech....

I'd get HomeLink, if it came with a garage and garage door-I have neither!

I can't seem to understand why it is such a project. Aren't there free-standing devices that do HomeLink and are not installed? What is special about this (other than location awareness)? Please help me understand.--Thanks.

And stay safe.

In the case of Tesla it is integrated into your software and controlled from the screen. The coolest thing is how it uses distance from my house to automatically open and close the garage door. It is definitely well integrated

• Helpful
Reactions: Andy7
Longer than I thought it would... not sure exactly but between 1-2 hours.

Some of that was pairing with the garage openers -- those things are old tech, and you just got to keep on repeating the same steps until it works.

wow, did I just complain that the garage openers are "old tech, and you just got to keep on repeating the same steps until it works."? It occurs to me that after install of HomeLink, the tech had to do a steering wheel reset... about 10 times.. until the HomeLink was recognized and works.

Old Tech... New Tech....

Same with New Tech, mine is a new Marentec Ultra quiet garage, and because it’s new Tech of course they had the LCD Brighter waffler lights, this caused some serious interference with the Homelink, once I removed the LCD waffler light, it programmed and worked fine.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It’s super easy to remove the front bumper. Takes like 20 minutes if you’re a total noob. Just be careful with the headlight brackets because they don’t want to let go sometimes - but if you’re careful, you’ll be fine. If not, they’re like $5 from the SC. After the bumper’s off the headlights come out in like 30 seconds. The entire car’s been ridiculously easy to work on... so far.

The installation of my garage door opening system was really complicated, too.

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 1.08.05 PM.jpg