Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - I Totaled My Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well thanks to all the "great" information here the insurance company upped the value of my total loss more than $10k. Enough so they are reassessing it as a total loss and may try to fix the car which likely has $40k worth of damage according to the body shop.

Crap, I think I did too good of a job.
Maybe time to hint at a diminished value claim?

Well thanks to all the "great" information here the insurance company upped the value of my total loss more than $10k. Enough so they are reassessing it as a total loss and may try to fix the car which likely has $40k worth of damage according to the body shop.

Crap, I think I did too good of a job.

Now argue for diminished value if they fix it. Might tip the scale back over to total loss.

Reactions: kkillebrew
Maybe time to hint at a diminished value claim?
Now argue for diminished value if they fix it. Might tip the scale back over to total loss.

Most state laws don't allow diminished value on a first party claim. However, it varies state-to-state on what the "totaling" threshold is; repairs equaling 75% of ACV is a common level, but some states (like mine) push it all the way to 100%.

OP, check your local laws about DV and when a vehicle becomes totaled. You may still have an argument on being in a "totaled" case.