Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help decide between 2017 Model S vs New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a Model S and trying to decide between a used 2017 Model S and a brand new Model S. The features of the 2017 Model S are as follows:

Model S 90D
All-Wheel Drive
21" Grey Turbine Wheels
Black Tesla Premium Seats
Free Supercharging
Enhanced Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability
Premium Upgrades Package
Standard Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package
294 miles (EPA)
~40k miles

The price difference compared to a brand new Model S (with similar range) seems be around 10k less. Given the above specifications of the 2017 car, and the newer motor, mcu in a new car, would you recommend getting a new car for 10k more?

Also, will there be any difference in FSD capabilities of this car compared to that in a new car?

Thanks for the help!

I went through a similar process back in 2017. Wound up with a new S75 RWD. I am so glad I went new. The premium paid over used it was well worth it. Having said that, people seem to find excellent deals on slightly used inventory That still has most of the latest advances. You may have to wait until in the end of the quarter push through.

I would do as much research on this forum as you can before making a decision

Reactions: Science fan
If the price difference is only $10k, I would definitely go with the new car. I actually just acquired a 2017 Model S a few months back. While I'm 98% happy with it, I would've been even happier to get a new build for only $10k more.

The free Supercharging for life is a nice perk...but it will take several years to make up for the $10k price difference.

Reactions: Brettski and Zishan
The biggest difference between the two will probably be ride quality. A coil spring car with 21s is probably the roughest ride Tesla offers, while the new car will have the now standard adaptive air suspension.

The new car will also use at least ten percent less energy to do the same drives, because of the Raven updates.

Your FSD question is unanswerable at this time. The 2017 car will need a processor replacement to do FSD, but that has been promised at no cost for FSD equipped cars.

It's not clear if the updated car would then have identical performance to a current production car with slightly different sensors etc.

Again, all depends on your situation. I Have free supercharging for life, I’ve used it less than a dozen times in two years. It Has very little value to me. On top of all the advancements, ride comfort, etc. you will also have a car that has 40,000 fewer miles if you go new.

Reactions: boonedocks
I am confused by the similar range (I'm not really in the know on such subjects), but my 90D has a 90% range of about 420km. My impression was the new long range models had like 100km more range, so I figure you are talking about the standard range model???? What would be the range?

For me, range is king and I would trade mine in a heartbeat if it was only 10k difference for 100km of extra range. That's a no brainer.

I am confused by the similar range (I'm not really in the know on such subjects), but my 90D has a 90% range of about 420km. My impression was the new long range models had like 100km more range, so I figure you are talking about the standard range model???? What would be the range?

For me, range is king and I would trade mine in a heartbeat if it was only 10k difference for 100km of extra range. That's a no brainer.

Has to be the SR. Project Raven SR Model S has a 285 mile EPA rating, vs the 294 rating of the 90D before degradation.

Compare Side-by-Side

I recommend the new car. Also, the 21" wheels are less durable, with damage more likely. There is also a range disadvantage to the 21" wheels. The new car will have more time and mileage left on the new car warranty. Also, Tesla continues to improve its product as time goes by, so the new car would possess whatever advantages accrue from the two years in between. Waiting to end of the quarter is likely good advice, and you may be able to pick up a recently built, low mileage loaner or get another break of some sort for a new one. The free supercharging is not that big a deal unless you are on frequent long trips. My 2016 S75 (GREAT car!) has 36,500 miles on it and I have used superchargers fewer than ten times. The newer car will provide a greater resale price, should you EVER want to sell it.

Whatever your decision, you will soon be sporting that famous "Tesla smile."

I would take the new car. The 2017 is a great car but by taking the new car you are getting a better suspension, Newer tech in the motor, the new mcu (the 2017 may or may not have this), New self driving computer and The faster super charging (Huge if you take road trips) and a new car with a new warranty.

I would take the new car. The 2017 is a great car but by taking the new car you are getting a better suspension, Newer tech in the motor, the new mcu (the 2017 may or may not have this), New self driving computer and The faster super charging (Huge if you take road trips) and a new car with a new warranty.
The 2017 definitely won't have the new MCU since it didn't come out until 2018. Also, since it has free Supercharging and is a 90D, it most likely has AP2 instead of AP2.5. Of course both can be upgraded to AP3 eventually. If it's AP2, it also wouldn't have Sentry Mode (that records), Dashcam, etc.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! It seems the unanimous recommendation is to go with the new model. In which case, the follow up question I have is, should I buy it now or wait towards the end of the quarter? Does it typically result in large savings if bought towards the end of the quarter? I would prefer to buy sooner than later, unless the savings are substantial :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! It seems the unanimous recommendation is to go with the new model. In which case, the follow up question I have is, should I buy it now or wait towards the end of the quarter? Does it typically result in large savings if bought towards the end of the quarter? I would prefer to buy sooner than later, unless the savings are substantial :)
Buy whenever you are ready. No telling whether it will be better or more expensive 2 months later. If you wait for the next big thing, you will never get it.

End of quarter savings are unpredictable. This past quarter, I don't think folks got anything much (aside from the free Ludicrous mode for existing owners, which was offered from the middle of the quarter.) Pre-Raven inventory cars got free supercharging.

New. Don't start out with old tech. Get the MCU 2 so you can get all the software features that are being added. Get the air suspension. I wouldn't trade my 2018 air suspension for 2017 springs and the new air is even better.

Free Supercharge while nice doesn't add a huge value unless you travel a lot.

Third quarter end tends to have good deals. I got mine in September 2017: 0.99% interest rate, HW 2.5, uncorked acceleration. It's a double edged sword to wait since they could also take away options you might like. One month after I got my car, they discontinued the lower white dash, which I actually liked in the loaner car I got to test drive.

There must be more variables. It's a no Brainer to get the new one for $10,000 more. The resale value is more than $10,000 more so it's actually cheaper to get a new one. Also you get the rebates. There must be more to your calculations
The 10k difference has already accounted for the rebates on the new car. There aren't many other variables here. Regarding resale, I thought the new cars depreciate faster than 2 yr olds. Plus, I didn't really think about resale, since I intend to keep the car for long.