Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Healthiest State of Charge at Rest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at the phd thesis in my last post

10%-70% SOC looks best

0-100% they got ~1200 cycles

10%-70% looks good for 4000+ cycles! That over 700k miles, almost pointless! lol

thx Okashira.

Also from the paper:

image.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: David99
0-20%.

Id actually recommend completely dead for a Model S.
3.3V / cell is about ideal; and the model S will read 0 rated range at that level.
I have module sitting like that for weeks/months, and no loss of voltage despite power to the bms board.
But I`m guessing that the real capasity is still around 5% when range says 0? :) I keep my SOC at 25-50% all the time (temperature here i Norway is about 5-10C average through the year so that helps a bit as well :)), except when going on longer trips about once a month. Last summer we had about 25-33C+ for a month and I kept the SOC at 20-30 when we went 2 greece for 16 days. I guess that was a kind gesture 2 my battery ;) I usually keep my car plugged in, but stop the charge after pluggin in. Seems it draws power from the wall for heating for instance, but does not charge.

- - - Updated - - -

FredTMC: I wonder what the results would have been with the true numbers from our battery, that means something like 3-60%, 13-70%, 40-97% and 3-97%? I guess that the biggest problem with the graph is that it involves the 2 worst scenarios, full and empty, which we are never able to obtain with our cars :)

Thanks very much Okashira. You have provided precisely the information I have been wishing for. Despite my confidence that this is mostly academic for me I want to know everything I can know. reading this is proving to be fascinating and useful. I echo the accolades you are receiving from other readers.