Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head light bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that would have been helpful before I started! I have the headlight out now,,, I have to get the lens off now to put that plastic piece back on.

took us 20 minutes with this video; removed all the screws for the bumper except the furthest bolt on the other side you are working on just to hold it in place so it doesn't fall down; you can easily slide the bumber down or out to remove the headlight.

once popped out put back the screw so it holds the bumper in place then do the same thing on the other side.

View attachment 533977

my wife just flipped out as I was putting the headlight in the double oven! She had a roast in there and didn’t want to share. Oh well. I will try a heat gun ,,, Tomorrow is another day!
F7502732-B220-4B9E-9702-BB77DA684968.jpeg

that would have been helpful before I started! I have the headlight out now,,, I have to get the lens off now to put that plastic piece back on.
you have to find a headlight guy; they go in the oven.

my wife just flipped out as I was putting the headlight in the double oven! She had a roast in there and didn’t want to share. Oh well. I will try a heat gun ,,, Tomorrow is another day! View attachment 533985

oh wow; I wouldn't attempt this yourself unless you really know what you are doing; you can risk bumping the lens on the side of the oven or worse. The heat gun will be a process and will not work; I would prob just bring them to a headlight guy that has done this hundreds of times and charge you $150 total for open and reseal.

You have to know how to reseal properly as well so it's locked from moisture; again just bring to a headlight guy that knows how to do this. You are in Jersey; all the auto places are open.

[email protected]
40 Edison Ave Suite C
Oakland, NJ 07436, USA
201-644-0337

These are the guys that worked with my guy in fort lauderdale for my halo's; they can do it if they are willing. Really don't want you to ruin your headlights or possible chance because of me! :eek:

Last edited:
order some new screws and washers and start replacing them around your car; I see some rusted out and will get worse from here if you leave them. Also clean whatever you can under the hood; mine is spotless clean.

Like the brake fluid reservoir is completely covered; gives you indication of everything else. Clean around that brake fluid reservoir with q-tips. don't open the cap.

And move that ladder away from your car!! lol.

my wife just flipped out as I was putting the headlight in the double oven! She had a roast in there and didn’t want to share. Oh well. I will try a heat gun ,,, Tomorrow is another day! View attachment 533985

two other things I noticed; have you ever changed your brake pads? could these be pads from the original owner 2010-2011? You have no tread left, looks like the caliper is almost hitting the rotor.

And looks like your "Windshield wiper" fluid reservoir cap is not closed; looks open.

Some great observations!... I will start ticking through the list... I have a fabrication shop that builds all sorts of specialty items for TV and Broadway shows and one of my guys is a great mechanic,,, We will see if we can get the headlight separated today,,, We have what are called wig ovens that are used for drying wigs ,,, They keep a temp of around 120 degrees,,,, It should be enough to work with the headlight separation... I think we will know pretty quickly if it will work... To be continued......

nice; dont' attempt to clean the under glass from possible streaks; just blow it out because there are plastic pieces everywhere in your housing and reseal when light is fixed. I believe all the old glue has to come out.

Did you find a new light for the blown bulb or the plastic piece you have in your hand? Just saying because glue will not hold throughout the years; you need a new one with a clip.

Maybe it will hold with glue maybe not just seeing what your method is here. That's the problem with glue.

Last edited:
It looks like what happened here is when Tesla upgraded these lights to HID the halogen bulb that was the cause of all this moved slightly in its housing and laid on the plastic cover. The heat melted the clip on the cover and it broke off and started rolling around in the housing...
There is a replacement for this bulb that is LED,,, I think I will use the LED bulb-- No heat and much longer life expectancy... Any disadvantages to LED?

I was planning on just gluing it with a heavy duty epoxy... I also spoke to the Headlight guy you suggested in Oakland, NJ,,,, He is only 20 minutes away!... Maybe I just upgrade to something similar to yours.... I will read through your thread now and see what that is like...

I got alot of work to do!...

nice; dont' attempt to clean the under glass from possible streaks; just blow it out because there are plastic pieces everywhere in your housing and reseal when light is fixed. I believe all the old glue has to come out.

Did you find a new light for the blown bulb or the plastic piece you have in your hand? Just saying because glue will not hold throughout the years; you need a new one with a clip.

Maybe it will hold with glue maybe not just seeing what your method is here. That's the problem with glue.

It looks like what happened here is when Tesla upgraded these lights to HID the halogen bulb that was the cause of all this moved slightly in its housing and laid on the plastic cover. The heat melted the clip on the cover and it broke off and started rolling around in the housing...
There is a replacement for this bulb that is LED,,, I think I will use the LED bulb-- No heat and much longer life expectancy... Any disadvantages to LED?

I was planning on just gluing it with a heavy duty epoxy... I also spoke to the Headlight guy you suggested in Oakland, NJ,,,, He is only 20 minutes away!... Maybe I just upgrade to something similar to yours.... I will read through your thread now and see what that is like...

I got alot of work to do!...

I'm not sure; I'm pretty sure you can replace that small parking light bulb that broke off to LED; but that parking bulb that broke off was a orange kinda color; if you upgrade to led i'm sure it will be a white color, then you will have your driver side parking light yellow and your driver side white.

What we did with the triple halos we disabled that parking light that broke off in your hand; that wire is what powers on the triple halos when you switch the parking light on.

The inexpensive route would be to replace the broken bulb you have in your hand with the same type of color bulb or led and possibly glue

But yes the place I directed you to 20 minutes away can replace your bulb and do all this for you.

Do you remember if that parking light that broke off was a orange or white type output? I don't know if they upgraded that light in the xenon upgrade.

Last edited:
I'm not sure; I'm pretty sure you can replace that small parking light bulb that broke off to LED; but that parking bulb that broke off was a orange kinda color; if you upgrade to led i'm sure it will be a white color, then you will have your driver side parking light yellow and your driver side white.

What we did with the triple halos we disabled that parking light that broke off in your hand; that wire is what powers on the triple halos when you switch the parking light on.

The inexpensive route would be to replace the broken bulb you have in your hand with the same type of color bulb or led and possibly glue

But yes the place I directed you to 20 minutes away can replace your bulb and do all this for you.

Do you remember if that parking light that broke off was a orange or white type output? I don't know if they upgraded that light in the xenon upgrade.

Might as well do them both to match & white (or the halos)

Tesla had an "upgrade" to change the bulb color to white. Mine are still soft-white / yellow-ish.

Attachments

• SB-13-17-001_Parking_Lamp_Bulb_Upgrade.pdf
    165.8 KB · Views: 61
So, I am going to try a few things here...
I 3D scanned the little plastic part, I will see if a 3D print of this piece is workable...
I also made a mold out of it... Then I can cast it in plastic... The little pink puck is the rubber mold..., I can then dye the color of the plastic when I make the casting... Here is a picture of the wig oven,,,, It worked great to heat up the headlight cause the inside is all wood and I didnt have to worry about any hot metal parts melting anything,,, When I cast this piece I will post more pics......

Attachments

• 3d printers.jpg
    3d printers.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 56
  • mold.jpg
    mold.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 49
  • mold2.jpg
    mold2.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 49
  • scanner.jpg
    scanner.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 57
  • wig oven.jpg
    wig oven.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 46
So, I am going to try a few things here...
I 3D scanned the little plastic part, I will see if a 3D print of this piece is workable...
I also made a mold out of it... Then I can cast it in plastic... The little pink puck is the rubber mold..., I can then dye the color of the plastic when I make the casting... Here is a picture of the wig oven,,,, It worked great to heat up the headlight cause the inside is all wood and I didnt have to worry about any hot metal parts melting anything,,, When I cast this piece I will post more pics......

holy moly lol; amazing. However I just realized I had a spare headlight with the cap you need; I can send it to you for free, do you need the bulb as well? lmk

IMG_7838.JPG

• Love
Reactions: drewski and TOBASH
that would be awesome! The casting I am making won’t have the two clips. Thanks so much. I bought the led lamps today for 17$ so I am covered there. My shop address is

Emiliano Pares
100 Wilmore road
Little falls nj

holy moly lol; amazing. However I just realized I had a spare headlight with the cap you need; I can send it to you for free, do you need the bulb as well? lmk

View attachment 534371

Might as well do them both to match & white (or the halos)

Tesla had an "upgrade" to change the bulb color to white. Mine are still soft-white / yellow-ish.
I remember that upgrade. It is the one upgrade that I didn't want and passed on simply because of the price. I just didn't see the value in the swap, and the price seemed crazy high. Perhaps I was missing something, but I wonder how many people purchased it.

Reactions: drewski
that would be awesome! The casting I am making won’t have the two clips. Thanks so much. I bought the led lamps today for 17$ so I am covered there. My shop address is

Emiliano Pares
100 Wilmore road
Little falls nj

is the led bulb you purchased the same color as the other headlight parking light?

I'll send you the bulb and wire anyway in case you need it.

Last edited:
Thanks!.. I bought 2 LED's and I will just replace my old one ( which is an original incandescent) with an LED,, then I will have 2 that match... I have everything cleaned up and all the old glue out. I am going to use this product to put everything together again and should be ready to go by the weekend... The weather here is miserable now anyway ( raining, cold, windy,) , so I am not missing anything!....

is the led bulb you purchased the same color as the other headlight parking light?

I'll send you the bulb and wire anyway in case you need it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-21 14.22.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-21 14.22.04.png
    400 KB · Views: 58