Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Service Center experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really blows. I mean, I'm happy for the company that they sell so fast they can't stock them, but at the same time it's a perk for owning a Tesla that we're supposed to get Tesla loaners per Elon's directive. I got a rental car from Tesla once and it really exacerbates the pain of having your car in for service. The next time when I got the loaner it made all the difference in the world. First world problems....

+1 to this. Hope they get more loaners in stock in the near future.

I agree that it's a little disappointing that they don't have an MS loaner available, considering that it was set as corporate policy a while back. At the same time, I'm glad (hope) I never need to take advantage of that benefit! The only time I want to visit the SC is for scheduled tire rotations/alignment checks, and those visits should hopefully be short enough that I don't mind just waiting a couple of hours in their new lounge!

Another very positive experience here. I had been planning to have my car serviced very soon, as I have already passed 13,000 miles and annual servicing according to my pre-paid plan is 1-year or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first. I had had my tires rotated at the last visit about 6 months ago and there was still a lot of tread on there and I thought I would be safe changing it at the time of the service. I was wrong.
While going home after a night out with friends at 4:30 a.m. I hit a pot hole right before the King St. on-ramp near University Ave. and about 30 seconds later I got a warning that my tire pressure was "extremely low" and that I needed to pull over safely. I limped off the freeway and went to the nearest gas station on Waialae to see if I could put enough pressure to at least get home. No luck. Air was leaking out of the SIDEWALL as fast as the hose could pump it in. I was stuck.
I placed a call to Tesla Roadside assistance and got an answer right away. The gentleman tried repeatedly to get a tow truck out there but he said the tow companies were either not answering the phone, or they were so far away (West side of the island) that they refused to come. I was stuck there for 2 more hours and a flatbed finally did arrive. Tesla service center was not yet open, so the tow company took it to their lot and they would arrange later to have it taken to Tesla.

I got a call from the SC a little later that day and they said that since I wanted to do my annual service at the same time and also replace a cracked rear chrome valance undertray they would not finish until the next day (they also had a few TSB's they had to perform since my car was in). I had a hard time securing a ride down to the SC so when I called them back to ask them if they could help, they said they were going to drop it off at my house anyway(!)
This was very convenient for me, to say the least. They had their company truck following my car so they could pick up their driver.
Tires were not cheap (we know this) and with mounting and balancing it came out to ~$900 for the two rears (they both were near bald) and the plastic chrome piece under the back of the car wasn't cheap either. Well, the part itself isn't too bad ($275) but the labor cost for installation is expensive. Total cost $1400 and I will still have to replace the fronts though there's still a lot of tread up there.
Seamless service experience though. Only the wait for the tow was a bit rough but that was beyond their control. I didn't get home until 8:30 a.m. :frown:
Great job Tesla team!

Another very positive experience here. I had been planning to have my car serviced very soon, as I have already passed 13,000 miles and annual servicing according to my pre-paid plan is 1-year or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first. I had had my tires rotated at the last visit about 6 months ago and there was still a lot of tread on there and I thought I would be safe changing it at the time of the service. I was wrong.
While going home after a night out with friends at 4:30 a.m. I hit a pot hole right before the King St. on-ramp near University Ave. and about 30 seconds later I got a warning that my tire pressure was "extremely low" and that I needed to pull over safely. I limped off the freeway and went to the nearest gas station on Waialae to see if I could put enough pressure to at least get home. No luck. Air was leaking out of the SIDEWALL as fast as the hose could pump it in. I was stuck.
I placed a call to Tesla Roadside assistance and got an answer right away. The gentleman tried repeatedly to get a tow truck out there but he said the tow companies were either not answering the phone, or they were so far away (West side of the island) that they refused to come. I was stuck there for 2 more hours and a flatbed finally did arrive. Tesla service center was not yet open, so the tow company took it to their lot and they would arrange later to have it taken to Tesla.

I got a call from the SC a little later that day and they said that since I wanted to do my annual service at the same time and also replace a cracked rear chrome valance undertray they would not finish until the next day (they also had a few TSB's they had to perform since my car was in). I had a hard time securing a ride down to the SC so when I called them back to ask them if they could help, they said they were going to drop it off at my house anyway(!)
This was very convenient for me, to say the least. They had their company truck following my car so they could pick up their driver.
Tires were not cheap (we know this) and with mounting and balancing it came out to ~$900 for the two rears (they both were near bald) and the plastic chrome piece under the back of the car wasn't cheap either. Well, the part itself isn't too bad ($275) but the labor cost for installation is expensive. Total cost $1400 and I will still have to replace the fronts though there's still a lot of tread up there.
Seamless service experience though. Only the wait for the tow was a bit rough but that was beyond their control. I didn't get home until 8:30 a.m. :frown:
Great job Tesla team!

Sorry to hear about your tires StephenM, but this should be good warning for those that have 21" tires. You should count on replacing them every 12,000 miles or less. At 9,500 miles, my 21 inchers were only a fraction of an inch over the minimum allowable tread depth. It cost me $1,700 to buy a new set of 4. Be prepared.

Yes. I should have been more diligent checking the tread depth. Particularly on the rears since I like sprints from a stop. I was going to order the Hankooks as I've read good things about them (I'm not going to take the car to the track) and they are $764 for a set of 4 (21") so would have saved more than a hundred dollars per tire. Though it would not have helped me in this particular situation (catastrophic sidewall failure), I need to invest in a can of fix-a-flat.

I stopped by the SC on Wednesday to pick up the camera to install in the front part of my MS. There was a P85+ there for display and the new sales person was showing a prospective customer. The SC is coming together nicely. They haven't mounted the car color and interior models yet, but they do have some clothing and accessories on display for sale. They also gave a calendar which I have brought to work. They also have a new concierge who helped me. And the sign outside looks good. Was told that they are waiting for dealership permit. They even have a charging station outside the door to plug in.

I like going out there also because I get to stop at Tanioka's for fish patties.

I like going out there also because I get to stop at Tanioka's for fish patties.

I don't know about the rest of ya', but that sounds like an open invitation to a Tesla party featuring fish patties on the menu! What time and where?!!! It may be good to surround you with Tesla's while your baby is gettin' fixed...we don't need you going into shock or withdraw or somethin'...we all remember Akikiki goin' round and around in circles in the Longs parking lot in his ICE while he was waiting for Tessie Too! It can be life altering! :scared:

I don't know about the rest of ya', but that sounds like an open invitation to a Tesla party featuring fish patties on the menu! What time and where?!!! It may be good to surround you with Tesla's while your baby is gettin' fixed...we don't need you going into shock or withdraw or somethin'...we all remember Akikiki goin' round and around in circles in the Longs parking lot in his ICE while he was waiting for Tessie Too! It can be life altering! :scared:

The car's gotta go to an Auto Body shop first. But I'm leaking vehicle coolant. :cursing:

The car's gotta go to an Auto Body shop first. But I'm leaking vehicle coolant. :cursing:

wait a minute dr... you said the car's gotta go to the body shop? Did I miss a post where you explained how it got broke that it needs to go to a body shop? If so, explain again, please. please.

okay, sorry, I found it. Now need to go back and re-read it. First time was for information. Each time after is for grief and crying with you.

Last edited:
wait a minute dr... you said the car's gotta go to the body shop? Did I miss a post where you explained how it got broke that it needs to go to a body shop? If so, explain again, please. please.

okay, sorry, I found it. Now need to go back and re-read it. First time was for information. Each time after is for grief and crying with you.

Well, there are two problems. The first one is the coolant leak. The car has warned me that the vehicle coolant is low. I was contacted by email by Luke at the SC and he is advising me not to drive the car and not to charge the battery. I suspect it is the coolant for the battery. It looks like antifreeze to me.

The other problem is the frame around the wheel well was damaged and is pushing again the front passenger tire. I don't feel any other damage under the car but it needs to put on a lift to get a better look at the damage. According to Tesla and my insurance company, they wanted it to go to a body shop first to assess the damage. But I think from Luke's email, it is more imperative to have the coolant problem fixed first.

As it has been everyone's experience, I was called by Jimmy at the SC. He arranged for Tessie to be picked up at my house. I didn't need to use the towing company my insurance company arranged. They sent three guys to come and inspect the car and put it on the flat bed truck. Now the wait is on to see what needs to be fixed.

Just as we accustomed to their Excellent Service, they find a way to raise their own bar another notch. I wish the general public knew how good Tesla's service is. They simply don't know what they are missing.

Just as we accustomed to their Excellent Service, they find a way to raise their own bar another notch. I wish the general public knew how good Tesla's service is. They simply don't know what they are missing.

From reading other posts on the forums, I'm sure this level of service is company-wide, but good to hear we are represented extremely well here in HI with Luke & Company at the SC. That's why ICE dealers are scared to death of TM and trying everything they can to ban Tesla's business model.

I don't think of the issue of states' effort to ban sales as a big deal. Its just a blip on the radar. So what if a store or gallery can't talk price. The buyer can call CA and talk or go to the web site like we did.

The media coverage about the issue with the states is free publicity. Even Elon's comments don't deter the public.
Tell someone they can't have or can't buy something... Suddenly that just raises the bar on their desire.

I don't think of the issue of states' effort to ban sales as a big deal. Its just a blip on the radar. So what if a store or gallery can't talk price. The buyer can call CA and talk or go to the web site like we did.

The media coverage about the issue with the states is free publicity. Even Elon's comments don't deter the public.
Tell someone they can't have or can't buy something... Suddenly that just raises the bar on their desire.

Agreed, though I do think that they need to have some resolutions to this by the time Model E is being delivered full steam ahead. At current production levels Tesla is selling as many as they can produce and still have a big backlog. When they start making enough to make 350k Model E's they will want as little roadblocks as possible, though the backlog on demand for this will initially have long queues as well.

Do you know that there's a detailer available at the Waipahu SC now? Rick really knows his stuff and does a great job. I had the unfortunate experience of a business doing a terrible wash job on my S and putting a ton of swirl marks in the paint. Rick worked on the car for hours and it came back looking new. Price was reasonable, too. I trust his level of knowledge and will use him again if I need detailing. He understands the paint on the Tesla, its strengths and weaknesses, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone more trustworthy to bring out the beauty of your beautiful car. I simply can't have Nanimac driving around in a better looking dark blue S than mine!