Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This YT video is a perfect example of why we can't have nice things because of some idiots....https://youtu.be/3gax8BnQpuA. TM should figure out who this is and push a permanent OTA to remove his autopilot and downgrade him back to v4.0.

At least the other guy who did this did it on a closed road and only at 18mph...but yeah...an update will be coming soon that inactivates AP if there's no one in the seat.

At least the other guy who did this did it on a closed road and only at 18mph...but yeah...an update will be coming soon that inactivates AP if there's no one in the seat.

what ever happened to the seat sensor? it used to be that people were complaining when they were reaching for something and raised up out of the seat. the car automatically shut down. maybe they de-sensitized the seat sensor because of this and with the advent to AP they need to re-apply the old settings.
it used to be a three part system. Buttox in the seat, step on the brake, put the car in drive. it needs to be that again.

Nanimac and others,
Someone on the mainland tried to change lanes on a highway with the raised white dots as lane markers, rather than painted stripes. Here Tesla's AutoSteer refused to change lanes. What are your experiences here in Hawaii? I know the raised white dots are not nearly as good as regular white lines, but can you change lanes with putting on the blinker in AutoSteer when the lane is marked by the raised white dots?

Papafox,

For me, Autosteering has been fun... I usually drive in the far right lane, and AutoSteer, for the most part tracks, I think its catching the solid line on the right, but when the lines disappears or becomes faint it might disconnect, if following a car, it will track the car in front, but, it sometimes changes lane if the car in front changes lanes. as far as your question of will it change lane with blinkers, yes, but most of the time, it will disconnect soon after lane change as it can't find the lines, but of course if there is a car in that lane that you switched into, it will track the car and remain engaged. (but, driving down Kalanianaole Hwy, even if following a car in the lane, it will track into the left turn lane on a few streets...)

I hope that makes sense...

Nanimac and others,
Someone on the mainland tried to change lanes on a highway with the raised white dots as lane markers, rather than painted stripes. Here Tesla's AutoSteer refused to change lanes. What are your experiences here in Hawaii? I know the raised white dots are not nearly as good as regular white lines, but can you change lanes with putting on the blinker in AutoSteer when the lane is marked by the raised white dots?

I've only been using autosteer in heavy/moderate traffic as I find it works best tracking other cars and at night when it seems to read the dots better than during the day. But I did use it during the day on H-3 and auto lane change wasn't an issue even with dots. But the contrast of the road and dots seems to be more pronounced on H-3. Once Tesla fixes the dot issue, i'll use it more, but right now it's just not consistent enough for me.

I've only been using autosteer in heavy/moderate traffic as I find it works best tracking other cars and at night when it seems to read the dots better than during the day. But I did use it during the day on H-3 and auto lane change wasn't an issue even with dots. But the contrast of the road and dots seems to be more pronounced on H-3. Once Tesla fixes the dot issue, i'll use it more, but right now it's just not consistent enough for me.

Nanimac and G'sinHawaii,
Thank you much for the quick replies. What you say makes sense. Let's hope that the white bumps get addressed in the next release of autopilot. I'll pass along your experiences.

Who will be the first to get 7.1???

Hoping someone with autopilot gets it first, so that I can hear how 7.1 does with those raised white bumps that substitute for lane markers. Fingers crossed. I might even bring my 70D to Hawaii if someone can confirm autosteer does a good job with Oahu's lane markers.

BTW, Iceman and I continue to freeze our okoles off on the mainland, but we're having lots of fun with skiing, the 70D's autopilot, and with supercharging.

Icesnow700.jpg

Anyone get the launch mode update yet?

YEP, Got it. 7.1(2.9.154), Has auto open and auto close of Homelink-ed garage door when you arrive and depart. Very cool.
Also can select to present just driver door handle or all four. And select to present or not present handles when you place the car in park.
Very cool.

Message says it will take about 45 minutes. Mine too just under 20 minutes.

7.1.2.9.154.jpg

7.1 (2.9.154) is cool, got it early this morning, it has "summons" car can move forward or backwards in a straight line to park or get out of tight parking places on its own... auto pilot works better too.

G's in Hawaii, would you say that driving on highways such as H-3 with the raised white bumps is as good as driving on a highway with painted lines marking the lane edges? I'm quite curious on this issue. Thx!

Papafox, auto steer works great on H-3 at highway speeds probably because the contrast of the road color and dots is better than the other highways. I used it to the air show and back when it first came out.

I got the update late last night so am eager to see if it's improved.

Papafox, auto steer works great on H-3 at highway speeds probably because the contrast of the road color and dots is better than the other highways. I used it to the air show and back when it first came out.

I got the update late last night so am eager to see if it's improved.

Well, this probably serves me right. After Mugsy and the boys did all those nasty tricks to slow down the delivery of your first Model S, I suppose it's only fair that you get this update before me. Looking forward to hearing your report! From what I've heard, the tendency to take offramps is greatly reduced, lane-holding on curves is much better, and the decision on where to place the Tesla in the lane is better, too. Also, I think it'll be great to see images of semi-trucks, cars, and motorcycles around the image of your S on the dashboard. Eager to hear.

Nonetheless, since you received 7.1 before me, in partial retaliation I attach a photo of my blue 70D picking up free supercharger energy at the relatively-new Topaz Lake supercharger.
topaz.JPG

Last edited:
Papafox, But you get to supercharge!!! Perpendicular auto park will be great for supercharging! Auto summons is AWESOMe...my neighbors must think I'm crazy standing on my driveway and watching my car go in and out of the garage by itself :biggrin: Hopefully they give an option to adjust the 30 ft distance since it puts my car into the street if I don't stop it.
image.jpeg

Also centers car so ends up being close to the other car
image.jpeg
and lots of room on passenger side
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Papafox, But you get to supercharge!!! Perpendicular auto park will be great for supercharging! Auto summons is AWESOMe...my neighbors must think I'm crazy standing on my driveway and watching my car go in and out of the garage by itself :biggrin: Hopefully they give an option to adjust the 30 ft distance since it puts my car into the street if I don't stop it. View attachment 107407

Definitely jealous!

Edit: I have heard there's a learning function and if you stop the Tesla at a certain place in the driveway, after a while it learns where you like to stop it and will stop it there in the future.

Last edited:
Papa fox, I can't answer regarding the H3, as hardly venture that way, the auto pilot seems to be smoother then 7.0, not as much jerking, it seems to stay in the lanes better, but that was just yesterday, well see how this week goes, but I was like nani yesterday after the update having it go in and out, Nanimac, were you brave enough to let it open and close the garage door?, I couldn't do it..., but last night watching folks that youtube'd it doing it.... but, I love autopilot while in traffic :)

Papa fox, I can't answer regarding the H3, as hardly venture that way, the auto pilot seems to be smoother then 7.0, not as much jerking, it seems to stay in the lanes better, but that was just yesterday, well see how this week goes, but I was like nani yesterday after the update having it go in and out, Nanimac, were you brave enough to let it open and close the garage door?, I couldn't do it..., but last night watching folks that youtube'd it doing it.... but, I love autopilot while in traffic :)

Didn't try the auto garage door part yet and the auto open/close for entry/leaving wasn't working for me :confused: