Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have any P85D owners confirmed service date for Ludicrous mode retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a call today from my service guy that sort of demonstrates what is amazing about Tesla and what is goofed up with Tesla all at once. I saw a thread about brake pedal rattling and mentioned that my brake pedal had the rattle under the exact same circumstances as another poster. I wasn't really stressed about it, it only happens sometimes and I don't really care too much if it isn't a safety issue. Someone at the Tesla mothership contacted my local service center and asked them to fix it. They called me about 90 minutes after I made the post, which blew my mind a little.

It's a bit creepy how quick they do that, and how they seem to know who everyone is reguardless of having the vin posted or not... You will get used to it though.

They see when your car is sleeping, they know when it's awake, they know if you've exceeded the speed limit or not so be good for goodness sake, oh, you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not shout i'm telling you why, Tesla Motors is watching, tonight!

Wait a second, so the upgrade that P85D owners have six months to avail themselves of isn't available for six months????

Here's a quote from an e-mail exchange with my DES:
"I’ve just gotten some clarification. A retrofit will be available from insane to ludicrous performance for the next six months at a cost of $5000 in parts. There will be additional charges for labor to install."
I'm scheduled for pick up today and I *still* can't get any clearer information on when the P85D-to-ludicrous upgrade will be available. I know it's a subsidiary concern, but the timing of the upgrade may affect the timing of when I sell my "old" car, depending on how long the upgrade takes. Anyone know if Tesla provides loner cars if service is going to take several days? Thanks,

I'm scheduled for pick up today and I *still* can't get any clearer information on when the P85D-to-ludicrous upgrade will be available. I know it's a subsidiary concern, but the timing of the upgrade may affect the timing of when I sell my "old" car, depending on how long the upgrade takes. Anyone know if Tesla provides loner cars if service is going to take several days? Thanks,

It's nice and all that Elon talked about it and posted in his blog. But the reality is this is something that could go away and never actually be done to existing P85Ds. If I was just about to pick up a P85D with this uncertainty I would just declined delivery, give up my $2500 deposit and re-order a P90DL.

We don't have any facts, but I will be shocked if Tesla doesn't get this upgrade down to a few hours at most. With the number of people upgrading, anything more is not scalable.

- - - Updated - - -

It's nice and all that Elon talked about it and posted in his blog. But the reality is this is something that could go away and never actually be done to existing P85Ds. If I was just about to pick up a P85D with this uncertainty I would just declined delivery, give up my $2500 deposit and re-order a P90DL.

I had this thought as well, but P85DL is still less expensive than P90DL, and re-ordering resets the clock/wait. I'm guessing Tesla would allow you to transfer the deposit.

I had this thought as well, but P85DL is still less expensive than P90DL, and re-ordering resets the clock/wait. I'm guessing Tesla would allow you to transfer the deposit.

Yup, but then there'd be no question about whether I'd get it. The loss would be quite a bit more if you decided to sell your P85D because the promised upgrade never came to be or the labor was so high that it didn't make financial sense.
If the upgrade never materializes, our existing P85Ds will plummet in price.

The upgrade will come. Tesla would lose all credibility if they don't.

They won't lose ALL credibility. What credibility they have will just be eaten away at, like the 691HP claim, the vanity mirrors, the SDK, the non-piano black center console, the multiple-drive unit replacements, and the driver assistance features....

Guys/Gals, Tesla is not ill-intentioned. We just need to take the Missouri route moving forward since they are the "show me" state. Believe the claim when you see it with your own eyes and make the purchase based on what is, not what is to come.

They won't lose ALL credibility. What credibility they have will just be eaten away at, like the 691HP claim, the vanity mirrors, the SDK, the non-piano black center console, the multiple-drive unit replacements, and the driver assistance features....

Guys/Gals, Tesla is not ill-intentioned. We just need to take the Missouri route moving forward since they are the "show me" state. Believe the claim when you see it with your own eyes and make the purchase based on what is, not what is to come.

+1. Beware of vaporware. With Tesla its "pictures of the customer vehicle or it didn't happen" (and may not).

Sure hope you're right, but Tesla has promised other things in the past not delivered like center consoles and lighted vanity mirrors.

True, but the center console and vanity mirrors weren't promised by Elon directly, on a press call. The autopilot functions were, and while late, I still believe they will deliver.

No but auto pilot features that would be available in a few months....last year...were promised by him on a video at a press demo event.
He said "several months", not a few months, and at a talk a few months before the unveiling he said within a year (which I calculated to be in July 2015). Anyways, Elon has been very clear they are working on it and the Beta will be released in a few weeks, so I don't get where all the talk about canceling is coming from. As I mentioned above, they can always release as-is with it disabled on routes that it can't cover. According to the leaks so far, they already have a whitelist system in place for this purpose.

Sorry, I assumed anyone interested in autopilot have already read it, but here is the link to what I am referring to:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/50274-Info-on-Autopilot-v7

Ah yes, that thread. Yes I had already read it and am still subscribed to it. However, nowhere in the thread does it mention that Tesla "already have a whitelist system in place" as you stated, only that "there is consideration that the system may talk to the mothership to know areas where autopilot can't be relied upon".

Anyway, sorry to derail this thread. To get back on topic, I have a service appointment in two weeks and will ask about updates on ludicrous retrofit status. Given how little they knew about LTE retrofit last time we spoke, I'm not holding my breath on anything significant for ludicrous...

Yesterday's pick up went fine. There was still no additional information available from the Fremont factory on the "ludicrous" upgrade. The best I could get was a promise to clarify who would get preference for the upgraded "ludicrous" parts: existing P85D owners or new P90D builds. We'll see.