Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received a 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Email from my DS:

Thank you for the email.

Yes, at the moment we are still awaiting for the homologation process to be complete by the EPA before releasing this new Model.

Not to worry, as your Tesla is still estimated to enter production shortly, and this will not delay any stage of production at all. We are told that we SHOULD be available to deliver these Model vehicles as early as this weekend, so timing wise, we should have all of the EPA items complete before yours enters production.

Thanks again, and I will keep you updated once your Tesla enters production!
That's definitely the first time I've seen that word. Homologation. Nope; I've definitely never read it before. Why is that? Has government grown so large that it has to invent new language?
You see can here that EPA in past history take their certification with Tesla seriously: https://19january2017snapshot.epa.g...2014-03/documents/sa-imports-tesla-011110.pdf

They were fined for 600+ cars not having its certification and had to pay a total of $275,000.00 to EPA. You think this would not happen again ...
The EPA can prevent Tesla from producing cleaner vehicles.

We have an EPA why, exactly? Maybe I'm too young for this.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
From Wikipedia:

Homologation (motorsport) In motorsports, homologation is the approval process through which a vehicle, a race track, or a standardised part is required to go for certification to race in a given league or series. The regulations and rules that must be met are generally set by the series' sanctioning body.​

Are the 100Ds considered performance cars??? And the EPA is certifying the 100Ds for racing???

[Not going to start down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out why the EPA, which is protecting the environment, is measuring the range for a ZERO emissions vehicle...]

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
They were fined the $450 for noncompliance. It wasn't the cost of doing business. Repeating the behavior after being fined previously would result in increased penalty.

Citation? Penalties for noncompliance is often the mere cost of doing business. Like a tax. Not all penalties increase upon repeated violations. Does this one?

I know it's fun to make fun of government organizations, but they are not the only ones using the term:

ZAP Jonway Announces First Product Roadmap Leveraging Subsidiaries’ Strengths
Homologation? What’s That?

It's when you engage with the process to meet all of the legal requirements for something to be a road vehicle. Tesla has to go through this process, no doubt, because they have changed the design of the battery pack. It's not a weird process.

Edit: a firm that specializes in helping small manufacturers do this: Developing for Mass Production

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and ikjadoon
Citation? Penalties for noncompliance is often the mere cost of doing business. Like a tax. Not all penalties increase upon repeated violations. Does this one?
Perhaps or perhaps not. Since we're not in the middle of it, hard to say. But loss of goodwill with a regulatory agency is a certainty when you knowingly repeat bad behavior. And that can be make everything unnecessarily difficult going forward.

The EPA is still looking for the exhaust pipe...
There is precedent for this in other countries as well as "worldwide" which seems to be the type of patriotism most bureaucrats have, and a lot of them find exhaust pipes on electric vehicles. I'm a staunch supporter of solar photovoltaic power, and I've bought what I could afford of my typical car use for our roof already (although I'll need to keep adding to it over the decades to reach parity with my actual car use, but I will). But, many paper pushers use outdated formulas for how much tail pipe is on a car by counting up way too much outdated coal, oil, natural gas pollution, and even consider dams that create electricity to be a type of "pollution", and assign a number to your car that far exceeds the amount of pollution put out by an electric vehicle that is charged by solar panels.

Let's look at it this way: the new energy market has added solar panels in order to supply new energy users, like electric cars, and to supplant old energy users that are dirty. Sure, we aren't going fast enough supplanting old dirty users, but we are supplanting them, and as long as we keep up with new users (electric vehicles) and keep speeding up the replacement of dirty energy use, we could therefore consider all electric vehicles to be solar powered, to the extent that batteries exist to offset nighttime charging. Right now, that means we probably still use dirty power to an actual extent. What's the baseline at night for night charging? A quick look at CAISO http://content.caiso.com/green/renewrpt/DailyRenewablesWatch.pdf shows at 11PM - 5AM is 10GW Hydro (5GW) + Nuclear (2.5GW) + "Renewables" (2.5GW) which is essentially almost all clean (except for some biomass and some of my other concerns about various types of energy), but about half is dirty (imports (mostly dirty but not all, some is cleaner) and "thermal" which is just fossil fuels (which is a stupid government name, considering so much of the other categories have thermal components)). So, at night, it's 50% clean. But, we're fixing that. But you could say that during the early part of the lifetime of a P100 Tesla that its tailpipe includes an increase of pollution when the sun is not shining, if and only if Tesla doesn't start producing PowerWall 2 and PowerPack for California in sufficient quantity for offsetting this 100%. That's one of the reasons I'm saying PowerWall 2 is vaporware and that is a hugely bad thing. If Elon keeps running around thinking it's ok to say he's going to do stationary batteries without actually delivering, then he's almost begging for an institution like a bloated government EPA to continue to exist. It's quite sad, actually; instead, Elon could be installing PowerWall 2's everywhere in California, and telling the EPA to shove it. That's what I would have done if I were him, but then, I probably would have ticked off some government worker or other and failed, so there's that. But I still consider it a huge missed opportunity for Tesla from absolutely every angle.

Do Australians buy Tesla vehicles? So we have the EPA come along and say "but wait, Elon! Your 100D causes increased emissions! Solar power only runs in the day time, and most of the USA doesn't even have solar power yet.", thus giving that EPA person a true reason to feel like they ought to exist. If Elon wasn't busy trying to cream-skim Australia and jump-start Hawaiian islands, he could have put 50% of his stationary batteries here in California homes, and even if it is net-net the same amount of solar power advantage worldwide and a bit less of a market advantage for Tesla, it would take away the reason for the EPA person here in USA, at least as far as California is concerned, to say that the EV is some amount dirty when driven compared to an ICE. Yes, it would still be dirty in other states, yes its manufacturing would still be dirty, yes we would need a little oversight somehow or other, and yes, verification is good, but it would give the EPA less reason to question the paperwork on the Tesla cars, less reason to hold it up, less reason for there to be a law that says Elon can't sell his cars yet, etc.. Even if it meant a little bit of better battery recycling into PowerWall 1's, that would have helped. I find that a missed opportunity, too: Elon says it's bad to upgrade cars to get a better battery, but I say it's good: let the car owner upgrade their Tesla battery in-house, and then when Tesla gets the old pack, sell it as PowerWall 1 or PowerWall 1.6 (essentially PW 2 but with old style battery cells), and Tesla could have been creating a new energy market sooner, with more buy-in from the public, less EPA crap, early starts into the home sales and installation models that they need to fix in Solar City anyway, and ... well, there's the rub, they'd sell a few less vehicles, but I think it would have balanced better and had a better outcome. Obviously, they disagreed with this path, or didn't think of it. Meanwhile they advertise vaporware, lumber and stumble around with legacy crap from Solar City with no real vision, and have bad customer service for their car lineup and not much new to be excited about, except that P100D, which apparently, they're already shipping. Of course, if I had that much money to buy a P100D, I'd probably have some competitor's stationary battery already installed with enough solar panels to fully charge my cars and run my home most of the year, anyway, but I'm not a racer, and I see the need for racers to exist even if they don't go out and buy solar panels and stationary batteries (because the utility & some of their neighbors are already doing that for them). (I don't call passing trucks and a few Prius's on I-5 racing.)

Long and short of it, is EPA is going to try to get its pound of meat, and then it will be approved. It's still annoying me, because everything I've been saying for ages seems to still get skimpy attention, but at least it's crawling forward.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't understand why there would be a 1 month delay on a new battery when the performance battery did just fine. Since Tesla has already received approvals for many batteries (40, 60, 70, 75, 85, P85, 90, P90, P100) I would think they know how to get them approved.

Hopefully that story of a 1 month delay is false or a misunderstanding. Unless there is something more at play here...

Thanks Erik

It wouldn't be surprising to see Tesla suspend building any more 100Ds right now, and instead focus on production of the other configurations - that they are confident can be delivered by the end of March.

Hopefully the poster in the other forum will also post the message they received about the one month hold.

Haven't heard anything from our DS - we're still tentatively planning to pick up our S 100D tomorrow morning... If they'd heard there would be another month delay, I probably would have heard from the DS by now.

We're now 16 days into our EPA 100D hostage crisis... and counting...

Our DS has scheduled us for an early Saturday morning delivery, just in case the hold is released by the weekend - though we've already lost Thursday and only have one more day left before we'll have to cancel the new delivery appointment, and start planning for the next attempt at a delivery.

After the weekend, our trade-in quote expires, and unless Tesla extends those quotes, we'll have to start a new round of quotes for our trade-in (and risk losing value on the trade-in).

Hoping March 10 will bring good news...

I have a delivery appointment for 10:30 at Houston-North (for a 90D, so no worries about a hold). I hope to see you driving out in your 100D as I'm pulling in!

Now that an article has been published on this issue, if Tesla doesn't release the hold, they really should notify the affected owners on what's going on, instead of having us all rely on unsubstantiated rumors.

Still hoping to pick up our S 100D early tomorrow morning, but it will likely take a miracle now for the hold to be released in the next few hours...

I got a very unofficial (basically unconfirmed) reply from our owner adviser that the regulation for Texas is going to be completed by March 13th. Not sure how much longer it will be after that to release the vehicles. Our MX100D is currently in transit to the north Houston DC and has a scheduled delivery from March 16-23.

Historically, getting California (CARB) emissions approval took much longer than EPA. California just a couple years ago could take as long as six months to process submissions. And, yes, Teslas are zero emissions, but you still have to process the paperwork and do the required driving cycle tests for efficiency ratings if nothing else.