Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone really used a 12V pump to fill tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most IC cars have a 15 amp fuse, = 180 watts, yes the pumps will work there.
The model 3 is the issue it is only a 12 amp fuse. Based on all the replies nobody has really tried a pump for anything other than a quick test to see if it runs in a model 3.
I suggest you let half of the air out of a tire then try your pump while at someplace you have another air source before getting stranded on the road.

I use a $20 Ryobi 18V battery powered inflator. The 18V batteries are separate but I already had some of their cordless tools and batteries anyway.

I have a small leak in one of my year-old Model S tires that I've not been able to pinpoint, lose about 2 PSI every few days. So I need to top off the pressure with the pump which takes about two minutes twice a week.

It doesn't use much of the battery, I haven't really needed to recharge the 18V battery even after a month of this.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and Evoforce
Yes I used two differing types of pump for regular plug into lighter inflation. Never any issue.

I carry both the Tesla Pump with the fixaflat (slime) Still sealed and a regular one I use all the time.
Yes, plugs and reamer
Yes, aluminum racing floor jack
Yes, my own version of jacking spacer
Yes, torque wrench and socket
Yes, to ready to dial the 800 number in case all this fails.

I believe you have a Model S, correct?
The S is fused different than the 3.

After a lot of research I ended up buying this one;
12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor
$29.99 plus tax. With the 20% coupon they have all the time it was $25.91 out the door.

I ran 2 identical tests. Model 3 front and rear tires on the ground with 20 psi to start, ambient temp 90 f.
The pump ran 3:47 / 3:51 to bring the tire to 44 psi. The pump was 147 / 150 f at the end. After 10 minutes off the pump was 115 degrees.

The pump ran very smooth and never moved on the garage floor. The noise level was not terribly loud, my previous pump was much louder and not sounded like it was trying to self destruct.

I did an amp test and it draws 6 - 9.5 amps depending on the pressure it is making. Surprisingly 40 - 50 lbs was the highest amps.

The gauge was reading 2 lbs over.

Through these tests the cigarette lighter never shut down.

• Informative
Reactions: -DB- and rdlink
I have the electric scissors jack, Gooloo 1000A jump starter, Vair 88 compressor.
The Gooloo powers the compressor and the jack. Don't have to worry about using the Tesla's 12 V outlet and blowing the fuse.
Cheap enough from Amazon, I have the set in all my 3 Tesla's.
Plus, Stop and Go 1075 tire plug kit.
Peace of mind.

Attachments

• 70AECE4E-3388-4468-8490-967245A799C9.jpeg
    70AECE4E-3388-4468-8490-967245A799C9.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 660F351F-F10F-43F7-A78D-40D33EC92D45.jpeg
    660F351F-F10F-43F7-A78D-40D33EC92D45.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 193
My view is that if I get a small leak, like a nail or screw, the pump will let me inflate the tire enough to drive to a service station (even if it takes more than one time inflating the tire). If it is a blow out, nothing but calling for Tesla service is going to fix the tire, especially a side wall blow out. If you fill the tire with goop to stop the leak, many service centers will not repair the tire so no real advantage to using goop. Knock on wood but I did a 3500 mile road trip this summer and no problems.

Reactions: eprosenx