Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hacker Built a Self-Driving Car In His Garage - Bloomberg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it true that the laws are made by arseholes and can simply be disregarded by people like him who "live by morals [and] don’t live by laws"? And whose morals get to trump the laws? His? Christian? Islam? Judaic? To say something like that in today's world is the ultimate in being a jerk, at least to me. I mean was James Madison, who wrote the document that formed the model for the Constitution, an arsehole for specifically making the rule of law govern over religion, or the monarchy, or anything else. This is not a trite issue to be callous about. Many people have died, and continue to die every minute of every day, over this very issue.

Of course, there's a ton of things to admire about him, just like there was also a ton of things to admire about Steve Jobs. But it when it comes right down to it, for me at least, it's people's core beliefs and actions towards others (and especially the less fortunate) that define them and ultimately determine their legacy (basically, if they are jerks or not.) There's a lot of very smart people, who are frustrated by the ignorance of the masses, but they still show a humility and caring for others, and don't say their way or the highway, which is the essence of his belief system, if he was quoted correctly in that article. And I don't believe everything I read so perhaps he is a different person. Also, people grow and change. I'm not condemning him by any means. I just read the article differently than others here and I'm not ready to heap praise on him. Hopefully that changes because he's obviously a very special, and highly talented, person.

Commend you on your well articulated position Canuck! No doubt Hotz is extremely gifted, resourceful and driven to follow his passion, but his apparent lack of humility, if unchecked, will likely hinder him from realizing his goals. As Tesla's response points out - it's one thing to build a viable prototype but a whole other animal to get it to 6-9s reliability! Not to say that it can't or won't happen, but it'll take a team and whole lot of humility!

Last edited:
Is it true that the laws are made by arseholes and can simply be disregarded by people like him who "live by morals [and] don’t live by laws"? And whose morals get to trump the laws? His? Christian? Islam? Judaic? To say something like that in today's world is the ultimate in being a jerk, at least to me. I mean was James Madison, who wrote the document that formed the model for the Constitution, an arsehole for specifically making the rule of law govern over religion, or the monarchy, or anything else. This is not a trite issue to be callous about. Many people have died, and continue to die every minute of every day, over this very issue.

Of course, there's a ton of things to admire about him, just like there was also a ton of things to admire about Steve Jobs. But it when it comes right down to it, for me at least, it's people's core beliefs and actions towards others (and especially the less fortunate) that define them and ultimately determine their legacy (basically, if they are jerks or not.) There's a lot of very smart people, who are frustrated by the ignorance of the masses, but they still show a humility and caring for others, and don't say their way or the highway, which is the essence of his belief system, if he was quoted correctly in that article. And I don't believe everything I read so perhaps he is a different person. Also, people grow and change. I'm not condemning him by any means. I just read the article differently than others here and I'm not ready to heap praise on him. Hopefully that changes because he's obviously a very special, and highly talented, person.

Very well said. I definitely get my buttons pushed by arrogant people, no matter how smart they may be. There's simply no need for being arrogant about being lucky enough to have drawn a good brain in the birth lottery.

Life is not a competition, it's a team sport.

There is now a note at the end of the article: (Updated to clarify the details of Tesla's self-driving technology in the 12th paragraph.)
I was guessing it was this text but I counted quickly and it made sense.

(In an e-mailed statement, Tesla spokesman Ricardo Reyes writes: “Mobileye is a valued partner, but supplies just one of a dozen internally and externally developed component technologies that collectively constitute Tesla Autopilot, which include radar, ultrasonics, GPS/nav, cameras and real-time connectivity to Tesla servers for fleet learning.“)

Musk needs to be careful what he writes in emails. Mobileye is completely pissed today that their stock sank 7% yesterday. It matters. They will lose shareholders and the stock price has been reset to a new floor. There is also now a huge question mark about Tesla's commitment to Mobileye. Mobileye might be more reticent about giving Tesla early access to new technology going forward.

No other way to spin it, Elon screwed up big time by putting those words in that email, regardless of what his true intent was.

Please. The article already has attention. But it is an interesting thought that correcting the content of an article and reassuring a business partner that that content is indeed wrong (here's the truth) somehow 'legitimizes' the incorrect content. :rolleyes:

Please. As well as legitimising it, correcting an article that contains direct quotes from Tesla on the subject makes it look like Mobileye can't look after themselves and need Uncle Elon to step up for them.

Reactions: Chumbo
Great, another article perpetuating the myth of the rock-star engineer and confusing people about how engineering and innovation really work.
The photo of his jury-rigged "hardware" in the glove compartment made my stomach hurt. What happens when one of those barely hooked in USB cables comes free while the car is self-driving on a curve?

Please. As well as legitimising it, correcting an article that contains direct quotes from Tesla on the subject makes it look like Mobileye can't look after themselves and need Uncle Elon to step up for them.

Completely disagree with you.

This was written by the guy that Elon let interview him for his biography. Maintaining supplier relationships is part of maintaining a stable platform as you build a company. If your suppliers don't trust your future relationship, they do not partner with you on solutions.

Leaving them out there to swing in the wind implies maybe there is truth to the article. If Tesla/Elon had not clarified, especially considering the viewership this is getting, I would have been disappointed in the company.

Great, another article perpetuating the myth of the rock-star engineer and confusing people about how engineering and innovation really work.
The photo of his jury-rigged "hardware" in the glove compartment made my stomach hurt. What happens when one of those barely hooked in USB cables comes free while the car is self-driving on a curve?

Well, I thought it was clear that the system was a prototype. Although the talk in the article about selling the software as part of a "kit" to allow people to create their own self driving cars gave me pause. Cars can kill, you have to have a solid hardware and software system for a self driving car. Any kind of bolt on system isn't going to cut it.

Well, I thought it was clear that the system was a prototype. Although the talk in the article about selling the software as part of a "kit" to allow people to create their own self driving cars gave me pause. Cars can kill, you have to have a solid hardware and software system for a self driving car. Any kind of bolt on system isn't going to cut it.

Even bad prototypes can have more zip ties and cable locks.

Geohot was pretty famous back in the iphone hacking days. Unfortunately the kid has a major social skill problem. His ego gets the best of him, and he ends up making more enemies than friends. I predict the same thing will happen this time around.

Its too bad, the kid is really smart.