Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to offend anyone but I feel this behavior will carry onward while stopped at superchargers. (Depending on the local Culture)

Sad Fact Really

You're right, this behavior will continue, as the human nature to judge others is growing.

Just as there are millionaire movie stars who drive Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys, there will be many people who make enough money to own a fully loaded Model X, but choose a Model 3 instead. Naturally, unless you're rude enough to ask or they're open enough to self-identify, you'll never know who's who (just as it should be). Furthermore, we need to understand that all people made decisions that led to their current situations. Maybe one person is rich and can afford everything. Maybe the next person has a bicycle and that's all they can afford because they have a $2 million house. Maybe you're talking to someone with a Lamborghini, Model X, and a Bently... but they live in a shack. Why do we care to judge them, it's their life.

At 31 years old, I've been a "car guy," at all; I've only owned 2 cars (a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, and currently, a 1989 VW Cabriolet), and have never been tempted to own something better (mind, I work at home, and live 4 miles from the ocean, so I drive very little in the average month). Like many of you, Tesla caught my attention many years ago... but I like small cars and small crossovers, Model S and X are both too big for my taste. My Model 3 will be greatly enjoyed when it arrives, and I'll be ready to reserve my Model Y as soon as Tesla allows it.

You're right, this behavior will continue, as the human nature to judge others is growing.

It's not. The millennials are far less concerned with their status symbols than the baby boomers are. I just had to do a case study about luxury brands being hit hard by not being able to replace the aging boomer population. The main reason is that millennials as a whole are far less status conscious.

This doesn't go for everyone of course, but the general direction is away from it. It may feel like it is getting worse, because the older you get the more likely you are to experience it.

I don't know of a single person who stood in line because they thought they'd get free things. Anyone?
Yes yes yes! Me me me! I figured that as the first out the door with a Model 3 reservation on the 31th I should get a free fully loaded Model 3 with a custom metallic British Racing Green delivered 6 month before anyone else!

... or maybe not... ;)

On a more serious side, what I really would like is to be able to buy either a special paint option (see above!) or to be able to get the PuP with textile seats... But no, I do not expect either...

Would you still do that if getting the textile seats meant they were manual instead of electric? (I assume all non-textile seats will be electric with seat memory linked to a driver profile.)
That is one of the reasons I want the textile seats with the PuP. But I'll be fine with manual textile seats without the PuP, if that's what it takes to get textile seats...

Just as there are millionaire movie stars who drive Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys, there will be many people who make enough money to own a fully loaded Model X, but choose a Model 3 instead. Naturally, unless you're rude enough to ask or they're open enough to self-identify, you'll never know who's who (just as it should be). Furthermore, we need to understand that all people made decisions that led to their current situations. Maybe one person is rich and can afford everything. Maybe the next person has a bicycle and that's all they can afford because they have a $2 million house. Maybe you're talking to someone with a Lamborghini, Model X, and a Bently... but they live in a shack. Why do we care to judge them, it's their life.

At 31 years old, I've been a "car guy," at all; I've only owned 2 cars (a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, and currently, a 1989 VW Cabriolet), and have never been tempted to own something better (mind, I work at home, and live 4 miles from the ocean, so I drive very little in the average month). Like many of you, Tesla caught my attention many years ago... but I like small cars and small crossovers, Model S and X are both too big for my taste. My Model 3 will be greatly enjoyed when it arrives, and I'll be ready to reserve my Model Y as soon as Tesla allows it.
You make an excellent point.

I think this is especially true in my area. It is important to treat everyone equally and with respect.

Its his quote and promise - not mine. He said line waiters originally. HE made that up...not me. I waited in line before HE made the announcement so....... I'm not asking for anything. He promised so HE should come through.

People who ordered after the reveal didn't purchase sight-unseen.

I was originally thinking that he wanted to thank folks who waited "waited in long lines or waited out in the rain - like myself and or other forms of sacrificial effort".

Hm, so I guess we need to determine when different Tesla stores had lines. Certainly somebody walking right up in the afternoon and just registering shouldn't be eligible for a free gift.

Hm, so I guess we need to determine when different Tesla stores had lines. Certainly somebody walking right up in the afternoon and just registering shouldn't be eligible for a free gift.

Keep it simple. Day 1 sight-unseen reservations prior to the unveil. Of which there were 115,000.

I was at 1 gallery (7th in line, order placed within about 5 minutes of the doors opening), and within proximity of 4 or 5 galleries with lines. Some of those lines took the majority of the day to resolve.

The key being that all of those 115K put down $ *sight unseen*. And that's what impressed Elon probably as much as the lines he personally witnessed in a SoCal.

Lastly, there's nothing free about Tesla ownership. Gifts or otherwise.

Keep it simple. Day 1 sight-unseen reservations prior to the unveil. Of which there were 115,000.

I was at 1 gallery (7th in line, order placed within about 5 minutes of the doors opening), and within proximity of 4 or 5 galleries with lines. Some of those lines took the majority of the day to resolve.

The key being that all of those 115K put down $ *sight unseen*. And that's what impressed Elon probably as much as the lines he personally witnessed in a SoCal.

Lastly, there's nothing free about Tesla ownership. Gifts or otherwise.

That would be fine with me. I spent 5 minutes reserving sight unseen online about an hour before the reveal.

What do you have against power seats?
Hmm... I think you have to re-read my posts. I have nothing against power seats, and I have not expressed any such thing. I DO want power textile seats, and to get powered seats I need PuP. But I do NOT want leather or leather feel-/look-a-like. So I will rather do without powered seats or any of the other things in the PuP if that's what it takes to avoid leather feel-/look-a-like seats.

Reactions: Kacey Green