Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy: Rim Protectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty sure I can bargain for free shipping as we now have 20 sets. Normally if they offer free shipping it would be to Mainland only, and I can bring them back possibly 1st week September. If not we can opt to pay a small amount (probably only a few HKD each) and have them shipped to me in HK.

We should arrange a meet up (with all our cars, yay!) and distribute the group buys (also by alipapa).

Thank you, markwj for handling the list:wink:

I am pretty sure I can bargain for free shipping as we now have 20 sets. Normally if they offer free shipping it would be to Mainland only, and I can bring them back possibly 1st week September. If not we can opt to pay a small amount (probably only a few HKD each) and have them shipped to me in HK.

We should arrange a meet up (with all our cars, yay!) and distribute the group buys (also by alipapa).

Thank you, markwj for handling the list:wink:

Agree, let's meet up say, IFC, easy to get free parking, large parking spaces, you guys with Model S collected can even park together so that we can all stand around your cars at the car park for Model S appreciation and chats! Onlookers will be very interested why we do that.

Two forum members have fed back that one of their protectors fell off on the highway. The theory is that it may be because of the painted wheels (gray), or insufficient time to set. The manufacturer does say this may be an issue with painted wheels, and at least 6 hours should be left before driving.

Feedback has also come in on the 'hard' ones that wedge in to deflated tyres - those have also fallen off, but being hard are more likely to damage paint.

Other feedback is that one set may not be long enough for four 21" wheels.

I've got two sets brought back for me from China by a friend. I'm going to stick a set on the car tonight, leave it to settle overnight, and then feedback experience and any highway issues tomorrow.

Given the number of sets being ordered, I suggest we just wait a day or two before ordering to make sure that they are ok.

If not too late, can I get one as well?

Sure, Will add to the list.

Two forum members have fed back that one of their protectors fell off on the highway. The theory is that it may be because of the painted wheels (gray), or insufficient time to set. The manufacturer does say this may be an issue with painted wheels, and at least 6 hours should be left before driving.

Feedback has also come in on the 'hard' ones that wedge in to deflated tyres - those have also fallen off, but being hard are more likely to damage paint.

I've got two sets brought back for me from China by a friend. I'm going to stick a set on the car tonight, leave it to settle overnight, and then feedback experience and any highway issues tomorrow.

Given the number of sets being ordered, I suggest we just wait a day or two before ordering to make sure that they are ok.

Will wait till wednesday to see the result. ( I had some installed when I got the car, the front wheels have came off, but it might be due to the product I bought, it didnt come with any 3M wipes or Adhesion promoter. But the ones we are ordering will, so maybe there is a quality difference. To be honest, the day I put them on had a little rain, and I didnt wait that long till driving, so hopefully, these ones will be better)

Black:
waidy: 3
lx3h: 1
markwj: 3
AppleFan: 1
ditb: 3
sonnywong: 1
Rotorbow: 2
sansei: 1
alexcsy123: 2
Lerxt:1

Red:
EVC: 1
markwj: 1

kllychan, which colour would you like?

alipapa, do you still want them? if so, please advise the colour you want.

Thanks Mark for the experiment! Does anyone think maybe add a little more 3M adhesive might help?

I just put them on my car. These are the ones I used:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408967364.004091.jpg

Installation was pretty easy. There are two types of wipe - alcohol and adhesive. I cleaned the rim, attached the protector (long edge towards the tyre), and pushed down hard. About 45 minutes in total.

Three comments:

1) My wheels are 19", and after applying to four wheels I was left with about 12" of protector. I don't think this is going to be enough for 21" wheels.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408967542.894725.jpg

2) The manufacturer wound the protectors the wrong way. I know red-tape outwards looks the best, and may be easiest to wind, but it is the opposite to how it goes on the rims, and the plastic has a memory effect to make it try to pull off the rim. It makes it much harder to apply.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408967619.415684.jpg

3) Manufacturer recommendation is not to drive fast for six hours and not to wash for a week.

I will take the car to work tomorrow to see how it behaves.

Last edited:
P.S. My maths says that the difference in diameter between 19" and 21" wheels should be about 6". But not sure if that is at the rim or at the outside edge of the tyre. If at the rim, for 21", this is going to be about 12" short on the last wheel.

In case this is your first time installing rim protector, do follow the instruction and not to drive fast within certain hours after installation. Also, do check the tube is firmly inserted. The large rim diameter combined with fast rotation put every connecting part under incredible pressure (centrifugal force). Pay attention to any small but repeating sound. My first time using rim protector ended up the tube falling off and wipping the car on high way.