Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which mono block forged wheel size, color and style would you like?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
265s work fine on 8.5" rims, tons of folks run that way on lots of other sport sedans (though places like tire rack will tell you they only "officially" recommend them for "track or off road" use for liability reasons)....so they'd be more than fine on 9" ones.

MPPs experience also suggest the wider your wheels the worse your range gets (I think they said they took a 20% hit running 275s on 10" wheels or something) so that might be another reason to avoid anything sticking out of the well if you can

I agree, that if you are willing to accept a bit of stretch or ballooning you can use a wider range of rims than is officially allowed. However for best handling, the rim should not require the tire to stretch or balloon. Its a great question as to how large this effect is. Anyone with first hand experience? Are we walking huge, moderate or tiny differences? Plenty of folks run stretched or ballooned tires and I just want to make sure that my purchase will have the biggest bang for the buck. Just becasue they do it doesnt mean its a good idea. I see many many questionable rim/tire choices.

@SD_Engnr Good point about the 8.5" rim width keeping the TM3 in the SCCA D Class, I hadn't considered that. One more reason that 9" doesn't make as much sense.

What my research showed is that while the tire will not fail when on a too wide or too small rim, the handling will not be ideal, since the contact patch is deformed slightly. How far away from ideal is an open question, and probably depends how far out of spec you go.

As far as the range hit, I am not surprised that a wider section caused range drop, but I do not believe the majority of the effect is due to increased aero resistance. The tire is simply wider by about an inch, so the penalty is more rolling resistance. There probably is some aero effect too, but the biggest hit is already taken as soon as you go away from the aero rims.

As far as the range hit, I am not surprised that a wider section caused range drop, but I do not believe the majority of the effect is due to increased aero resistance. The tire is simply wider by about an inch, so the penalty is more rolling resistance. There probably is some aero effect too, but the biggest hit is already taken as soon as you go away from the aero rims.

Biggest reason I think the hit for wider wheels/tires is significant (apart from MPPs observation of a 20% hit) is two-fold:

1) The listed range on the P3D- and P3D+ is the same far as I know... suggesting rolling resistance is a pretty minor difference between simply sticker tires or not at the same width

2) Elons comments about why they put 235 PS4 on the 20" P3D+ rim instead of wider wheels/tires- and he specifically called out that it was a compromise for range purposes- suggesting going much wider causes a significant range hit...

How much is aero vs resistance on wider wheels/tires? Not sure. Not sure it matters a ton either, since the only reason I'd see for wider wheels IS wider tires so you'd be doing both either way.

I don't care a TON about range personally, but that 20% figure from MPP was somewhat sobering given my "normal" commute each day is around 75-80 miles roundtrip if I don't stop anywhere to/from work... that'd knock me from having to charge every 2-3 days to having to charge every 1-2 days.

I'm sure it was mentioned previously, but one benefit of the 8.5" width is that you can have a lightweight forged wheel, and stay in the SCCA D Street category/class .

EDIT: Though it would be nice if the offset was the original +35 instead of the +40.

That's a good point. I should change my 19x9 order to 19x8.5, those would still comply with D Street.

Edit: A quick call to EM and my crazy order and change of size is sorted. Great customer service. Thanks for the heads-up SD_Engnr.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
model-3-titan-7-jpg.326174
Are these 18" or 19"

Looks small :s

Just spoke with Mike @ Evasive
Great Customer service...had to call in person for Canuck orders

Christmas is coming early!
T-S5 Forged Split 5 Spoke
Satin Titanium
19 x 9 +35 offset

Gonna run Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
in 245 / 40 ZR 19 XL (98Y)
part # 25373
Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires
I emailed about ETA and was told the following:

Production will likely start next month. January is likely the eta for when we’ll be able to ship.

Just spoke with Mike @ Evasive
Great Customer service...had to call in person for Canuck orders

Christmas is coming early!
T-S5 Forged Split 5 Spoke
Satin Titanium
19 x 9 +35 offset

Gonna run Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
in 245 / 40 ZR 19 XL (98Y)
part # 25373
Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

What is the estimated shipping and duty cost to get it to Toronto Canada?

This is why Evasive is not offering the 9.5. Quote from an email response: "We're not doing 9.5 because there's inner clearance issues with with the suspension on the 9.5 +35 from our testing."

Although Mountainpass Performance had no issues with 10 +35 in the front. Don't know what to believe.

• Informative
New recruit that is just coming out of lurk mode... to say that my vote has been cast and will order my wheels as soon as I clear up some details :)

Tiny heads up and a thank you to Xenoilphobe for setting this up.

Funny story... With the coming winter season... I was browsing around to see what my options were last nite because of the need of a new rim/tire package for the winter setup. Initial thought was to buy extra set of Tesla 18" pinwheel and put Nokian Hakka R3. I was also looking at getting new "summer" rims and install new winters onto my current set of 18".

After a few (long) hours of checking around, I had come to the conclusion that I did not want worse weight/performance from aftermarket rims then the Tesla's 18" OEM. And unfortunately... most of the "better" performance was $$$... until I stumbled upon this thread.

Let me tell you guys that I *did not* sleep much last nite! So excited with finding great looking, lightweight quality rims!